So Stephen Elop once worked for Microsoft? Who knew?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
According to a story on NPR, Not only did Stephen Elop once work for Microsoft, ( I didn't know that) but Nokia was already losing market share to IOS and the ad agency's os before Microsoft stepped in. (contrary to popular belief that WP was killing the Nokia brand) I still maintain this stands to be a big win for Microsoft going forward. And if Elop could move the mobile division of Microsoft in the direction we all hope to see, we are in for some beautiful devices very soon. Many which are probably already in development. The only bottleneck I can see, is these busy body carriers like Sprint that only want to push google branded devices and AT&T with its slow upgrade schedule. But for the devices themselves, the stars have aligned.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Nokia already had an answer to this in the form of MeeGo and the upcoming release of Symbian^4.

Unfortunately, we see bureaucracy and inefficiency take its toll.

While I still maintain that this impending sale is a big loss to Nokia (they could easily net ?10 billion for this, +debt).
With Elop's dedication, though, anything is possible.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Outside US I think there is massive appeal for the Nokia Brand in Phones not so much for Microsoft. I want the phones and devices to be still branded Nokia Lumia along with Microsoft branding.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Elop more than worked for MSFT. He was, by a hierchical perspective, the number three man there when he left. Maybe number two.

_X_

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
You must be new to the mobile scene.

Elop was also responsible for Nokia exclusively locking Nokia to Windows. Shortly after he stepped in as CEO he struck a deal with MS. MS would pay Nokia $18B over X years to exclusively build smartphone for Windows.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There was lots of controversy over Elop becoming CEO when he did. A lot of top Nokia employees left.

Some people believe he 'saved' Nokia but if this is saving then I have bridge for sale.

It was quite clear from the beginning that this was Elop's plan all along, hand over Nokia to MS. He had only his own personal interest at heart. Large stock in MS. Probably large stock in Nokia now. Soon to be CEO of MS. I wonder who he will sell MS to.

_X_

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
He had only his own personal interest at heart. Large stock in MS. Probably large stock in Nokia now. Soon to be CEO of MS. I wonder who he will sell MS to.

There is a very good chance he will get millions if this transaction goes through.

When Carly was CEO of HP she stood to gain over $100M if the merger happened. And major stake in the board.

I'm guessing Elop has a similar deal going here.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There was lots of controversy over Elop becoming CEO when he did. A lot of top Nokia employees left.

Some people believe he 'saved' Nokia but if this is saving then I have bridge for sale.

It was quite clear from the beginning that this was Elop's plan all along, hand over Nokia to MS. He had only his own personal interest at heart. Large stock in MS. Probably large stock in Nokia now. Soon to be CEO of MS. I wonder who he will sell MS to.

There is an entire board of directors that have a day in what happens. And a chairman.

The fact is that this move is good for Nokia as a company. It makes them financially super strong.

Also, if Elop didn't save them, they might not be in business right now at all.

_X_

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
The fact is that this move is good for Nokia as a company. It makes them financially super strong.

Also, if Elop didn't save them, they might not be in business right now at all.
I do agree that Elop did help Nokia, that business deal gave Nokia a cash infusion. This deal is also good for Nokia. I don't know it it was good for Microsoft though.

Google got a lot of heat for its acquisition of Motorola.

I wonder how other vendors are going to react with this news.

The advantage that google had was android is open source so they don't completely control android.

Windows however is controlled by Microsoft which will give Nokia the advantage.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
well, the reason Elop chose Windows Phone was because he had contacts in Microsoft and he knew it would be better than trying to survive in something like symbian (eww, im sure i didnt love to fix a phone with a no space bug) and the dream of meego.

Business its not only about being Smart and talented, its also about the "friends" and influences you may have. of couse if Symbian had a future, or meego could compete 2 years ago, Elop wouldnt have chosen WP, but seeing everything was falling down, it was better to look for a partnership with Microsoft and then, focus in the hardware and not only in the software. or something like bringing developers since Im sure meego or symbian wouldnt have as many apps as WP has right now, people say some apps are missing, but it would be worst with symbian or meego.

people can call Elop whatever they want to. but the partnership saved Nokia, and at the same time gave marketshare to Windows Phone. so whatever people think, well, the truth its if you or anyone have a company, and your company lacks something a friend can help you with, wouldnt you accept it? wouldnt you try to survice with your friend instead of trying to survive alone with the same stuff you are already failing with?
Im sure you and anyone would choose your friend company to help you survive. and thats what Elop tried to do. and it worked!
BUT of course in the end the board accepted, and apparently they liked the deal about Microsoft buying part of Nokia. so Elop could have made all the plan (you know conspiracy theories), he could have even said "hey lets go and sell phones on the moon" but nothing would have mattered if the board didnt accept. so its not like Elop decided everything anyway.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like you're saying IOS had little to no bearing on Nokia's decline in the mobile market prior to Stephan Elop's tenure at Nokia.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You must be new to the mobile scene.

Elop was also responsible for Nokia exclusively locking Nokia to Windows. Shortly after he stepped in as CEO he struck a deal with MS. MS would pay Nokia $18B over X years to exclusively build smartphone for Windows.

There was a scene? I didn't know there was a "scene" with mobile back when I first used Blackberry and Windows Mobile and that wasn't until after my undergrad years. Moreover, at least in the US, most of the nation had no MOBILE when I started and FEW could even afford it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss