What stops Nokia from making a new phone?

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
For Android or Meego or something new?

They could easily design new hardware. They still own the patents. Come up with a new name other than Lumia.

Also, if Nokia has been making WP's all this time, what is the difference?

I think if Nokia wanted to, they can screw MS and make more money.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well its hard for Nokia to make phones when MS just bought up all there production and logistics and all the staff that made the phones. I would say its practically impossible.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well its hard for Nokia to make phones when MS just bought up all there production and logistics and all the staff that made the phones. I would say its practically impossible.

Yea, this. They would have to probably re-establish the production and logistics to do so, and that's really expensive :p

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the assumption that Nokia would make more money with Android is unsound.

IIRC, Microsoft give Nokia $250m a quarter as part of their agreement, that's guaranteed income they wouldn't get from Google. Also, Nokia would have a fight on their hands differentiating themselves in the already saturated Android market. That Microsoft money funded the development of the Lumia range, how would they fund and publicise new hardware if their first Android device failed?

I'm afraid Nokia had been circling the drain for quite some time before they made the agreement with Microsoft. Perhaps, if they had got on the Android bandwagon at the start, Nokia would have been in a stronger position now, but they were wedded to Symbian and missed the boat.

As for the difference, Windows Phone is an excellent operating system; more advanced than iOS and incomparably better than Android, which is wedded to Java, making it unreliable and insecure. Android is flawed in principle and cannot be fixed, even if Google data-mining stopped tomorrow.

What Windows Phone offers is extremely smooth and reliable operation in an interface which is a pleasure to use with high levels of security for the user. I can say with confidence there are no bad Windows Phone 8s, but that most Android devices are awful. I've helped too many Android users with their devices to hold any other opinion.

Believe me, the only reason Windows Phone has a small market share is that it was late to the party. If Microsoft had released it two years earlier, Android would have never taken off.

If you want a new device, choose a Windows Phone because Windows Phone is the best OS by far.

JFH_2012

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is stopping them from producing new smartphones running whatever OS after Jan 1st 2016. The argument that production and logistics is expensive is irrelevant. Like the earliest Lumia's they could be made by Compal or others. As long as they build a new design team, and stick to high quality but standard parts, they can create great devices again. What will be difficult to do is get the same imaging and sound recording expertise built into those devices.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is stopping them from producing new smartphones running whatever OS after Jan 1st 2016. The argument that production and logistics is expensive is irrelevant. Like the earliest Lumia's they could be made by Compal or others. As long as they build a new design team, and stick to high quality but standard parts, they can create great devices again. What will be difficult to do is get the same imaging and sound recording expertise built into those devices.

Lumia 800s were at least also produced in Finland by Nokia itself. I would know, I was there :p That said, obviously the Salo factory didn't manufacture all early Lumia's, I believe only for EU market, so I dunno where the rest of the world's Lumia's came from.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"I think if Nokia wanted to, they can screw MS and make more money."

It's hard to make new friends when you have a reputation of burning bridges with others. MSFT has been very generous to Nokia. They basically kept Nokia alive. For them to screw the hand that fed them is just foolish.

From what I've read looks like you will end up learning that lesson the hard way.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Lack of --> $ <-- is stopping them. And now that MS owns their hardware division, it's going to be incredibly hard for Nokia to design, market, and produce a new smartphone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077