Windows 8.1 Question

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So far I am loving 8.1 but I have noticed something that is a rather big deal to me....

With Windows 8 it was always when you swiped an app down it totally closed the app, it was no longer even running. Now with 8.1 when you swipe an app down it closes it but it's sill running in the task manager using resources. The only way to close them is clicking them one by one and ending them. Is there a setting I am missing or is something wrong?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
No.

In 8.0 they get suspended when you pull them down.

In 8.1 pull down and hold, and wait 'til it flips. The app is closed.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't need to close apps. Windows should manage resources on your behalf, and close apps when it needs the resources for something else.
Consuming some memory shouldn't be a problem. If an app is using processor or network resources that might (but might not) affect other apps, but Windows should manage this and hopefully the app is doing something useful.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't need to close apps. Windows should manage resources on your behalf, and close apps when it needs the resources for something else.
Consuming some memory shouldn't be a problem. If an app is using processor or network resources that might (but might not) affect other apps, but Windows should manage this and hopefully the app is doing something useful.
However, Windows will normally just let desktop programs slide under the rug. What you said about apps is indeed true, though. If you really want to close everything manually, just Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
However, Windows will normally just let desktop programs slide under the rug. What you said about apps is indeed true, though. If you really want to close everything manually, just Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

Oops, I meant Metro apps (i.e. all apps on Windows Phone). Indeed traditional desktop apps don't work like that. Apologies!

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

So far I am finding the RAM isn't managed very well. I have mail for example running in the background right now and it's taking up 125MB and if I do this for all the apps I use this ends up being a lot of RAM that is being used.

I don't get what the change is for. What's the difference between how it worked in 8 and 8.1? In 8 when I closed an app I still got notifications just fine.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So far I am finding the RAM isn't managed very well. I have mail for example running in the background right now and it's taking up 125MB and if I do this for all the apps I use this ends up being a lot of RAM that is being used.

I don't get what the change is for. What's the difference between how it worked in 8 and 8.1? In 8 when I closed an app I still got notifications just fine.

Why do you think it matters if mail uses 125MB? Well, I agree that's a hell of a lot for a mail program but why is it a problem?

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Why do you think it matters if mail uses 125MB? Well, I agree that's a hell of a lot for a mail program but why is it a problem?

That's a huge deal. What about all these new tablets that only have 2-3GB of RAM? That memory from the apps not closing automatically adds up real fast.

What about the general users that don't know to hold down and wait for the flip? Then they'll be out of RAM and have a hatred for Windows 8.1 even more because their computer is running slow.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's a huge deal. What about all these new tablets that only have 2-3GB of RAM? That memory from the apps not closing automatically adds up real fast.

What about the general users that don't know to hold down and wait for the flip? Then they'll be out of RAM and have a hatred for Windows 8.1 even more because their computer is running slow.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
Take note. Once you're running low on RAM, tombstone.
Yes, this is the approach that apps take. Desktop programs proceed to full multitasking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786