Nokia reportedly sold eight million Lumia units last quarter

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The Wall Street Journal says Nokia sold "at least eight million" Windows Phones between July and September. That's close to triple the 2.9 million sales it managed in the same period last year and also more than the 7.4 million it sold last quarter. Of course, those numbers are very low when compared to big players like Samsung and Apple, but Nokia is at least continuing to prove it that Windows Phone platform has a place in the market.

Untitled.jpg

Source: Nokia Lumia sales reportedly hit record-high numbers last quarter | The Verge

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
How much have sold Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony and LG in the same time? That would be interesting to know.
There aren't numbers for the most recent quarter, but here are the top five smartphone vendors for Q2 2013, per Gartner:

Samsung71,380,900
Apple31,899,700
LG11,473,000
Lenovo10,671,400
ZTE9,687,600

Note 1: The sheer amount that Samsung, then Apple lead by.
Note 2: LG, Lenovo & ZTE are probably quite a surprise to most.
Note 3: Nokia is kinda close to top five with Windows Phone.

Of course the problem here is that Nokia == Windows Phone. I'm sure a restructured Nokia could survive fine when approaching 10 million units a quarter, but Windows Phone needs more than that – it really should be endeavouring to beat iOS, and that means over 30 million. I'm also slightly worried with Nokia seemingly entering the end of the year without any true successors to the 520, 620, 720, 820 or 920. They should really have a low-end and high-end refresh for these normal sized devices; phablets are not the whole story.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
As I predicted. WP8 steady growth, slow rise, slow adoption rate. But as soon as their game starts clicking, it will become an explosion like in Windows 7. I have to admit, I used to be weary of the slow growth, but now it seems that the growth is starting to speed up quarter by quarter.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. We also have to take into account all the other WP8 OEM's when comparing to apple. Right now with Nokia alone we are 1/3ish of the way there. If you add in other OEM's that brings the numbers slightly closer. To that 1/3 or even a little more.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Now that most of the big name social apps are on WP I think you will see more widespread adoption of the platform in North America.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Now that most of the big name social apps are on WP I think you will see more widespread adoption of the platform in North America.

I sure hope so, but I'm not so sure. I don't know what it is about the US and Nokia. They've never really gelled as far as I'm aware. Here in the UK and Europe, Nokia always had a good following, but in the US it seems to be a different feeling. One positive lately is that the 520 seems fairly popular (for a Nokia anyway) in the US as I keep hearing it goes out of stock in some stores. I wonder if the success in the US is to focus on getting the carriers to all supply 520's, 620's etc and sell as many as possible for the low price point. I just can't see too many people in the US giving up their S4's and iPhones for any top end Nokia. I sure would, but they just don't seem to have the same look on things over there. I think they should try and get the carriers to drop a couple of cheap Android handsets and stock a couple of cheap WP handsets. I looked on a few US carriers sites such as Sprint, Verizon etc and the range of Windows Phones is terrible. It's not great in the UK, but here you can get hold of 520, 620, 625, 920, 925 and 1020 on a few different carriers. Shame it's not the case over in the US.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs