Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
Like Tree68Likes
  1. thymaster's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,531 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm sure many of you are aware of the Google+ and YouTube Integration recently that have cause millions of YouTubers around the world to be emotionally angry and frustrated. First of all who freaking uses Google+. I have attempted many times to disconnect and delete Google+ from invading my YouTube profile and I've finally given up. This woke me up and made me realize how many of us are becoming dependent of Google's services. I notice my phone contact have been uploaded to Google+ and across their other services. I never gave google+ permission to upload my personal phonebook in the first place. I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone. In light of the recent changes, I feel vulnerable and sucked in into Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and now on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.

    Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services. Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google fan boys out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependent on Google that there's no turning back. You will fall hard.

    I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.
    Last edited by thymaster; 11-20-2013 at 03:50 PM.
  2. link68759's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    614 Posts
    #2  
    If you get a Windows Phone just start using Bing- it's just as good as google. No reason to continue feeding google with your service.

    I'm not aware of any Bing video. You can search for videos through Bing, and it searches any number of video upload sites including adult/pornographic ones; best search engine ever!
    Editguy1900 likes this.
  3. thymaster's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,531 Global Posts
       #3  
    ^ Ever since MS came up with Bing, I never had a chance to try it because I'm so used to Google search engine. If you say Bing is just as good as Google then I will take your word for it and will consider testing Bing this week.
  4. crash1989's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    1,495 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,498 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
    ^ Ever since MS came up with Bing, I never had a chance to try it because I'm so used to Google search engine. If you say Bing is just as good as Google then I will take your word for it and will consider testing Bing this week.
    Bing is good but does not match Google for every query ... I suggest you test this out in a detailed manner and come to a conculsion .. Personally I live in India and Bing doesn't act well here most times
    snowmutt and Premium1 like this.
  5. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    918 Posts
    Global Posts
    921 Global Posts
    #5  
    But, you did allow Google to backup your contacts, did allow Google to create a g+ profile, and did allow it to link to your YouTube account. It's right there, each time you select "accept" for the services in question.

    There's an option to stay completely free of any services provider if you're truly paranoid:

    Put the contacts on your Sim card, and don't use anyone's cloud services.

    Then only the nsa/fbi/everyone can see who you know, call, text, etc, but not Google or Microsoft
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    Thanked by:
  6. jason8957's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    #6  
    That's the thing that perplexes me about Google fans and users. It is the biggest adware company around. People hate every other kind of adware and install blockers so that they don't have to view ad content. People lambast Microsoft for collecting any data and make silly comments afraid of the Kinect watching you and sending video of you eating a sandwich back to a secret cave beneath Redmond.

    But then they say "Hey, sign me up for every kind of Google service and software and give me one of their phones with a GPS too and let me give them my bank account info and access to all of my email and pictures and private conversations with my friends. It's all great!"
  7. Cleavitt76's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
    ... I haven't tried a WP, but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features? ...
    I wouldn't say they force you at all, but a lot of the more innovative and unique functionality in the Microsoft ecosystem (Windows Phone, Windows 8.x, Xbox, MS online services, and many third party apps) are made possible by using a Microsoft account. You can still use local logins on Windows 8.x and you don't have to link accounts to your Microsoft account to use Windows Phone, but you'll end up doing a lot more manual synching and lose some of the Windows Phone built in social integration as a result.

    Some people are overly paranoid and assume the worst any time a company asks for their info. Everything is a conspiracy to them. I think the important thing to consider is what the company is doing with your info and whether it's reasonable for them to request it on a case by case basis.

    In the case of Microsoft, they are clearly using the centralized MS account to tie together your devices, MS services, and even some common third party services to help you keep things in sync with minimal effort. I say "clearly" because their operating systems and software all have actual functionality that takes advantage of the information that you share with it (as opposed to being asked for some information and getting nothing in return). MS has worked very hard on this and it shows in their recent products. I actually avoided it at first because I didn't think it would really provide much real world benefit, but a few month back I gave it a try full force and it blew me away. I used to spend a lot of time trying to keep all of my devices in sync. Now I own more devices than ever and it is practically seamless. I think this is going to become more and more important as the average consumer has more devices in their lives. At some point, if they don't all tie together, you will end up spending all your time just trying to keep them all updated and in sync instead of actually using them to make your life more enjoyable.

    On the other hand, I don't trust Google with any of my data. Google is an advertising company first and a technology company second. They tend to ask for (or demand) data a lot, but they rarely give you anything in return for it. The technology they offer for "free" is mainly used to gather more information from consumers to further their advertising business. Not only does that not help me in any way, but it's an invasion of my privacy. Some people don't care and that is fine, but it's just not ideal for me.
    Thanked by:
    neo158 
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
    I'm sure many of you are aware of the Google+ and YouTube Integration recently that have cause millions of YouTubers around the world to be emotionally angry and frustrated. First of all who freaking uses Google+. I have attempted many times to disconnect and delete Google+ from invading my YouTube profile and I've finally given up. This woke me up and made me realize how many of us are becoming dependent of Google's services. I notice my phone contact have been uploaded to Google+ and across their other services. I never gave google+ permission to upload my personal phonebook in the first place. I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone. In light of the recent changes, I feel vulnerable and sucked in into Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and now on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.

    Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services. Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google fan boys out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependent on Google that there's no turning back. You will fall hard.

    I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.
    I think the correct term is that millions of YouTube fans started crying because their free service requires the use of another free service if they want to comment (which they don't even have to). >_>
    Premium1 likes this.
  9. link68759's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    614 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8957 View Post
    That's the thing that perplexes me about Google fans and users. It is the biggest adware company around. People hate every other kind of adware and install blockers so that they don't have to view ad content. People lambast Microsoft for collecting any data and make silly comments afraid of the Kinect watching you and sending video of you eating a sandwich back to a secret cave beneath Redmond.

    But then they say "Hey, sign me up for every kind of Google service and software and give me one of their phones with a GPS too and let me give them my bank account info and access to all of my email and pictures and private conversations with my friends. It's all great!"
    When I used to be a member of reddit I would always get down voted for saying chrome is glorified adware. But... It is. Through chrome, google cam basically track all that you do online and deliver you targeted ads. Adware.
    Thanked by:
    neo158 
    neo158, forked and Cleavitt76 like this.
  10. Cleavitt76's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alan Goff View Post
    I think the correct term is that millions of YouTube fans started crying because their free service requires the use of another free service if they want to comment (which they don't even have to). >_>
    You have a point and I'm not convinced that this particular act by Google is the thing to get really upset about. Google has done way worse, and this particular change could be a legitimate attempt to clean up the comments in YouTube and keep it PG rated by making commenters less anonymous. I'm not close enough to it to have an informed opinion though so I'll leave that topic to others.

    However, I think for a lot of people this is just the straw that broke the camels back. Many people are upset with Google because they keep taking peoples data from one source and using it in ways that the person did not expect. People want their anonymous interactions on the internet to remain anonymous. They don't want that stuff constantly being tied back to an account that publically identifies them. It could cause all kinds of problems for people if their political beliefs, religious beliefs, or just random quirky thoughts that were posted anonymously were linked back to them after the fact. For example, a potential future employer might decide not to hire someone simply because they don't like that the person is really into first person shooter games, or because they like movies like Saw 1 to 24, or because they have posted over 12,000 comments on the MyLittlePony.com forum (don't judge me). Google (and Facebook) are both really bad about changing their terms of service and making private data public.

    Quote Originally Posted by jason8957 View Post
    ... People lambast Microsoft for collecting any data and make silly comments afraid of the Kinect watching you and sending video of you eating a sandwich back to a secret cave beneath Redmond. ...
    That mental picture made me lol for some reason. Thanks.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleavitt76 View Post
    You have a point and I'm not convinced that this particular act by Google is the thing to get really upset about. Google has done way worse, and this particular change could be a legitimate attempt to clean up the comments in YouTube and keep it PG rated by making commenters less anonymous. I'm not close enough to it to have an informed opinion though so I'll leave that topic to others.

    However, I think for a lot of people this is just the straw that broke the camels back. Many people are upset with Google because they keep taking peoples data from one source and using it in ways that the person did not expect. People want their anonymous interactions on the internet to remain anonymous. They don't want that stuff constantly being tied back to an account that publically identifies them. It could cause all kinds of problems for people if their political beliefs, religious beliefs, or just random quirky thoughts that were posted anonymously were linked back to them after the fact. For example, a potential future employer might decide not to hire someone simply because they don't like that the person is really into first person shooter games, or because they like movies like Saw 1 to 24, or because they have posted over 12,000 comments on the MyLittlePony.com forum (don't judge me). Google (and Facebook) are both really bad about changing their terms of service and making private data public.



    That mental picture made me lol for some reason. Thanks.
    I'm not just going to say "you're wrong" when it comes to the whole "straw that broke the camels back", but you are. It's also because YouTube has some of the whiniest people as members. They complain at the drop of a hat. Change the font and they'd whine. Change the color of the site and they'd whine. Make the pictures bigger or smaller, and they'd whine. You get the point, I hope, or I'm going to have to continue. They whine about everything.
  12. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,066 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
    I'm sure many of you are aware of the Google+ and YouTube Integration recently that have cause millions of YouTubers around the world to be emotionally angry and frustrated. First of all who freaking uses Google+. I have attempted many times to disconnect and delete Google+ from invading my YouTube profile and I've finally given up. This woke me up and made me realize how many of us are becoming dependent of Google's services. I notice my phone contact have been uploaded to Google+ and across their other services. I never gave google+ permission to upload my personal phonebook in the first place. I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone. In light of the recent changes, I feel vulnerable and sucked in into Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and now on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.

    Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services. Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google fan boys out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependent on Google that there's no turning back. You will fall hard.

    I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.
    Personally I don't care what phone you or anyone else choose to use. I am curious though as to why you didn't cut and paste this on the iMore forum as well. Posting the same rant on crackberry and wpcentral seems at best rather silly.
  13. thymaster's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,531 Global Posts
       #13  
    Yea you're right I did give permission for google to back up my contact. I allowed them to BACKUP but I didn't allowed them to share my contact across their other service like "Google+" and for them to allowed other people to see my contacts and linked them to the dumb g+ account. They've already committed a privacy law by taking my contact, sharing with another one of their service website and then sharing it with the public. This is no different then a company you trusted held your sensitive information and they took that and shared it with a third party. This opens up doors for identity theft and all kinds of fraudulent activities friend.


    Also I don't need to sign up and baby sit another social networking site that I don't give a crap about.
    snowmutt likes this.
  14. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,517 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by link68759 View Post
    When I used to be a member of reddit I would always get down voted for saying chrome is glorified adware. But... It is. Through chrome, google cam basically track all that you do online and deliver you targeted ads. Adware.
    I went to reddit for a while. If there is a more negative, hateful site I have yet to find it. I try hard to listen to opinions different from mine, but boy the vile way those posters talk to each other scared me.

    *shivers*
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
  15. Panathas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by link68759 View Post
    If you get a Windows Phone just start using Bing- it's just as good as google.

    !

    only if you live in the US😉

    Bing on other languages is worst.





    Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
  16. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,517 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #16  
    First off, I am with you. I just posted this thought last night: Google has taken the art of selling advertisement to a level that I would admire if I wasn't so scared of it. I do not want to say that I believe they are selling my information, because I do not think they are. But when I Google a query and within 2 keystrokes similar products are advertising on the side and pop ups start smiling at me, I run the other direction. It is too bad- I would consider an Android device that fit my needs if I tusted them more. But this is just one of those "gut instinct" things- sooner or later this house of cards that props up Google's empire will fall. Along the way, a lot of good people who enjoy those "G" services may get hurt. Not a prediction, just one of those uneasy feelings.

    Quote Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
    .........I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.
    I have also posted this a few places: I have found 2 areas Bing still is behind Google in searches. The first is mapping. Bing is so much better then it used to be this may not be fair, but Google still provides the best mapping results. Somethimes, Bing still gives out of date information. Google is almost always spot on. The second area is questions. If you want to know"Who was the lightweight boxing champion in the 1920's?" Or "How do you replace a screen door?", Google always has accurate search results. Sometimes, Bing just gets confused and picks the wrong keywords or something, because it's results will have related subjects on top and just really random results sprinkled in and around. Other then those two, here in North America at least Bing easily is Googles rival and gives accurate and informative results with very moderate advertising on the side based on your pattern of searches. MS isn't harmless here- they do use search patterns to sell adds, but it is so moderate I am not offended.

    As far as using other MS services, I find it way to easy to use the ecosystem to not take advantage of it. I have had several WP devices now, and as soon as I sign in to my account, everything is loaded. I get my paid apps back and all my contacts are updated exactly as I had them entered before. I find Skydrive to be one of those services that the more I use it, the more I like it. I love the "One Note" intergration.

    But as stated, you can opt out of any of these services and your experience will be more secure and private. MS likes to make money off of adds, but it is not their lifeline, so they are happy you just purchased their products. Google is one of those companies that proves that nothing is "free".

    Sorry I kinda rambled there.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Thanked by:
    sahib lopez and thymaster like this.
  17. FrodoBaggins's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #17  
    I feel it necessary to post this: Scroogled! Time to buy one of these Shop Scroogled | Microsoft Store

    But seriously, Google are overstepping the line with everything recently. I agree that the whole Google+ thing is a waste of time, and I wish I could Opt Out, as I like to keep my personal and internet lives separate. Today that line between personal and online is becoming very blurred, and this is in no question due to Facebook, Google, and all these companies mining for your personal information in various ways. I've recently been trying to move away from Google, because, I don't want to be commercialized by the big capitalists, like some asset. Unfortunately, I think for many of us, its too late to escape Google, as we've been using them for years, and the amount of data a lot of us have revealed is shocking. They've managed to track people down, and get their life habits from just their search queries alone, saw this in a TV show I watched a while back.
    Thanked by:
    thymaster likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
    Yea you're right I did give permission for google to back up my contact. I allowed them to BACKUP but I didn't allowed them to share my contact across their other service like "Google+" and for them to allowed other people to see my contacts and linked them to the dumb g+ account. They've already committed a privacy law by taking my contact, sharing with another one of their service website and then sharing it with the public. This is no different then a company you trusted held your sensitive information and they took that and shared it with a third party. This opens up doors for identity theft and all kinds of fraudulent activities friend.


    Also I don't need to sign up and baby sit another social networking site that I don't give a crap about.
    Somebody obviously didn't read their terms and conditions, nor did they read them every time Google warned them that they're being changed. >_>; You did give them permission, every time you agree to their terms and conditions you agree.
  19. Cleavitt76's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alan Goff View Post
    Somebody obviously didn't read their terms and conditions, nor did they read them every time Google warned them that they're being changed. >_>; You did give them permission, every time you agree to their terms and conditions you agree.
    Does it really matter? He isn't threatening to sue them in a court of law. He is just tired of the way he is being treated as a user of Google's products and services. I think most people are aware that they have no legal recourse and that the terms and conditions wave nearly all your rights, but people still have an expectation that a company will act in good faith and attempt to provide good service.

    I think that is a perfectly fair expectation when dealing with most companies, but what a lot of people don't realize is that Google's "customers" are the businesses that advertise through them and buy information from them. Consumers are not really Google's customers. They are in many ways the product that is being sold.
    Thanked by:
    falconrap and thymaster like this.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleavitt76 View Post
    Does it really matter? He isn't threatening to sue them in a court of law. He is just tired of the way he is being treated as a user of Google's products and services. I think most people are aware that they have no legal recourse and that the terms and conditions wave nearly all your rights, but people still have an expectation that a company will act in good faith and attempt to provide good service.

    I think that is a perfectly fair expectation when dealing with most companies, but what a lot of people don't realize is that Google's "customers" are the businesses that advertise through them and buy information from them. Consumers are not really Google's customers. They are in many ways the product that is being sold.
    And Google is providing a mostly good service.
  21. #21  
  22. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    918 Posts
    Global Posts
    921 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas00555 View Post
    The answer is pie
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    snowmutt and BIGPADDY like this.
  23. squire777's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas00555 View Post
    Either way, getting away from Google is a step in the right direction.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY and thymaster like this.
  24. S_C_B's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #24  
    Yawn. Google haters never cease to amaze me.
    mary beth hale likes this.
  25. psudotechzealot's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    853 Posts
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    #25  
    Welcome Back
    nbcmjxi.jpg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New app to be rally for as a community??
    By Jack Janik in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 04:08 PM
  2. How do I connect lumia510 phones on ubuntu os?
    By supermani1993 in forum Nokia Lumia 510
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM
  3. Got the red 2520. Check your MS stores
    By MDBulldog in forum Nokia Lumia 2520
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 12:51 AM
  4. Xbox One Kinect Voice and Gesture Commands
    By Vallos in forum XBOX ONE
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 03:49 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions