Battery Life

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I've heard a lot of people say that their battery sucks or that they can't make through the day on one battery charge. Then I ask em how much they actually use their phones. They usually answer with "Not that much" or "very little" or "I usually just check my email". But they have all these game apps on their phones and I ask if you're not on it that much why do you have all these games? They proceed to tell me that they play it at times. I find out that "at times" means at least 4 hours straight per day. Ok, these phones that we have that are actually technologically awesome aren't "Gameboys". They're not little toys for everyone. Yes they can play games but if you're still running GPS and Bluetooth and WiFi and playing games all the time, your battery will die fast. Even searching on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram or snapchat will do the same thing. You're battery will die fast if you're abusing your technology. So take a serious look at how much you actually use your phone before you post on here saying that your battery sucks. My battery lasts a day and a half. I've the Nokia Icon from Verizon.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You forgot the "/end rant" at the end, haha.

But I agree with the general sentiment, and you won't be the 1st or last person to start a thread complaining about people's idea of using their phone "barely at all".

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I own a L920. I can tell you as a person who doesn't play games 4 hours a day. Disables all those things and uses it marginally throughout a day that it does not last. Saying that, the L920 battery is pretty bad. Though there are those who don't have any issues.

Some situations are different and you can't lump them all into one category. Some batteries are bad and the phone needs to be replaced.

That's not saying you are wrong, just don't make assumptions.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I own a L920. I can tell you as a person who doesn't play games 4 hours a day. Disables all those things and uses it marginally throughout a day that it does not last. Saying that, the L920 battery is pretty bad. Though there are those who don't have any issues.

Some situations are different and you can't lump them all into one category. Some batteries are bad and the phone needs to be replaced.

Same. I have a 1020 and do not game at all. I don't think I need to tell anyone here that the 1020 battery life is notoriously less than stellar, just browse through the 1020 forum and you'll find more than a few threads discussing it on the front page at any given time. But I'm a very conservative user, so I get along OK with it.

That being said, there are handsets that exist on WP and other platforms (the Moto G comes immediately to mind) in the hands of people with similar usage patterns as the ones you mention whose battery easily lasts all day, so there is definitely some measure of engineering involved that's responsible as well in the case of some phones.

EDIT: Had some further thoughts on this. While I agree that mobile devices are not Gameboys, the reality is that the majority of mobile gaming is taking place on handsets these days. That's just a fact, and one that handset makers need to take into account when they're designing their phones. As apps go, games are unsurprisingly one of the most profitable type out there. You and I may not game or watch video on our phones, but we are increasingly becoming a minority. I think this is evident in the fact that chipset makers are pushing the limits of mobile GPUs to be capable of 4k standards now. They aren't doing that to help people who read email and spreadsheets.

Last edited:

MicrosoftFoLife

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm not making assumptions. I'm making observations from experience. Now, if a phone legitimately has a bad battery then this post doesn't relate to that situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720