Dear MS, just delete the "Lumia" name on all the nokia phones.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
So im sure you guys have seen this
Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones | Windows Phone Central
MS might have decided to not delete the nokia name and thats (hopefully its true) great news for everyone.
But obviously nobody is going to call it "Nokia by microsoft lumia 1520 windows phone" because that would be mad. And im not saying MS is going to call their own phones that, but i think all the existing nokia phone names are already too long to for its own good. Just call it a nokia 1520, and not worry about the names clashing with the older nokia phones. Short and snappy is the best way to go. Even though many would think the lumia name is catchy but i personally just think that its not famous enough for anyone to remember it.
Please share your thoughts on the perfect, Nokia name. :smile:
Oh and what about reviving the xpress music name back or prism?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense. The original Surface was a table that was supposed to be in restaurants and hotels. I've never seen one.

The Lumia name is better known than the Surface name.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Are you from the United States?

Both the names Nokia and Lumia are what drive the sales of Nokia devices in India (and probably whole of Asia and Europe, so not just saying about India). Nobody calls it Nokia Lumia 1520 with Windows Phone. They call it Nokia Lumia 1520 and I have no idea how is that a long name or whatever you are trying to say. It's already known that these devices are Windows Phone.

I am asked "Is that a Nokia?" "Oh the Nokia Lumia?" So the Lumia is recognised brand as well along with Nokia.
It's actually nice that they are going to keep the Nokia name across their devices (which could lead to sell of the Nokia company (lol just wild dreams, don't jump on me)). It can drive sells in Europe and Asia. Not happy about renaming surface though.

They should keep Lumia for phones and Surface for tablets (and Surface Pro for full windows). What's going to be confusing is Nokia Lumia X and Microsoft Surface X. They will probably use "Nokia by Microsoft" as a logo, not for branding or marketing.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This whole naming situation is making my brain hurt.

Honestly, I am way more interested in their plans for the factories, supply lines, and product directions over the next couple years. How are they absorbing the old Nokia into MS? Will they be treated as their own own company just under the MS name, or will MS be more hands on? How will the release of all these other WP devices from other OEM's affect their game plan?

The name will work itself out. It is the plans for this arm of the company which will really dictate the future of WP.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm certain the "Nokia by Microsoft" is intended to be used in the same way "Motorola a Google company" was used after Motorola was acquired by Google. You never saw or said the full name. It was just an extended branding reminding people who the actual corporation behind the product was.

And I can see Microsoft using Lumia on all ARM-based devices and Surface for all the x86/x64 based devices. It'll make it far easier to tell the products apart. Especially after how upset people became when Microsoft removed the "RT" from the Surface name, making it easy to mix the products up.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I would prefer if they keep the Lumia brand for consumer and the Surface brand for professional products. Since the SP3 seems to be catching on in companies, renaming that brand would be silly IMHO. And if the want to put the Nokia by Microsoft on all of them, that would be fine as well.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Lumia = ARM Phones/Tablets running WP and Windows RT from 4 - 9 inch devices
Surface = Intel Atom/Core Processor Devices running Windows 8 Pro 10 inches or above

To make it less confusing for the Nokia by Microsoft branding it should be like this....

Lumia

Full: Name: Nokia Lumia 1520 by Microsoft
Short Name: Nokia Lumia 1520 or Lumia 1520

Surface

Full Name: Surface Pro 3 by Microsoft
Short Name: Surface Pro 3

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Are you from the United States?
im from malaysia, here there are many who used older nokia phones and sure the fans would know the lumia branding but most people just call it nokia and then the model name.
If what you say is true then i suppose keeping the lumia name does make sense.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
During this time of transition, it only makes sense to hang on to the Nokia and Lumia names. If they become better established in the future, the Nokia name could be dropped.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Surface has a much better reputation in the States than Nokia. It is a brand name befitting a line of thin, light and capable devices like the Pro 3. I hope they keep the Surface name going and expand its use to phones.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
As Daniel Rubino said, Lumia could be ONLY for Surface RT tablets (I hope you heard about Threshold), not for the Pro.
This leak, by the way, is a good case which shows pretty good the misunderstanding.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You're reading too much into these "leaks" I think.
That Microsoft would get a license to use the Nokia name, that's really old news. It was in the deal. The licenses to use names have to be done separately. In other words, the simple signing of the deal between Nokia and Microsoft did NOT grant Microsoft the licenses that were named in the deal.
The license to use the brand, the patents etc, all those are subject to separate contracts between Nokia and Microsoft. The only legal effect the deal had was to sell the D&S division. Everything else mentioned there that involves licenses requires other legal contracts.

I do NOT think you should keep your hopes high for the Nokia name to remain in the smartphones line. Meaning, don't expect more "Nokia Lumias".
As for the "Nokia by Microsoft", well, let us remember that the deal did mention the licensing of the name to Microsoft for use in S30 and S40 devices.

The "Nokia by Microsoft" is likely to be used for those devices. The S30 and S40 devices that still carry the Nokia name albeit NOT being Nokia phones. To have "Nokia BY MICROSOFT" is important also to regulators, because it prevents a problem called "misleading information". In Europe, for example, companies are prohibited to pass products by something they're not. So, all future phones with the Nokia brand that AREN'T from Nokia, will need to have an indication to consumers that said product belongs to another company. Since Microsoft DOES NOT OWN Nokia, having that "Nokia by Microsoft" may be the solution they came up with to that problem.

As for the Surface thing...if they drop the Surface name, it will be on RT devices which are, at any rate, condemned to disappear as RT and WP merge together. So if WP and RT are going to end up as one platform, it's more than logical to have the Lumia brand replacing the Surface one in those tablets.
However, I do not believe Microsoft will replace the Surface brand on x86 tablets like the Pro line. What we may end up seeing is the "Pro" moniker dropped. So "Surface" becomes the x86 tablets and the ARM ones come under the Lumia brand.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
just like how no one say HTC One M8 with Android or Apple iPhone 5S with iOS, no one says Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone.
usually they omit MFG name and just use model name and number. like iPhone 5S or Lumia 920 or Galaxy S5.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As for the Surface thing...if they drop the Surface name, it will be on RT devices which are, at any rate, condemned to disappear as RT and WP merge together. So if WP and RT are going to end up as one platform, it's more than logical to have the Lumia brand replacing the Surface one in those tablets.
However, I do not believe Microsoft will replace the Surface brand on x86 tablets like the Pro line. What we may end up seeing is the "Pro" moniker dropped. So "Surface" becomes the x86 tablets and the ARM ones come under the Lumia brand.

There's always a lot of speculation in regards to the Lumia and Nokia names with the buying of the Nokia handset division. Not sure why this keeps coming up but I personally don't see either name sticking around for very long. Nokia as a company still exists so it will be the fist to go for sure, even though MS has 10 years of use I don't seeing being used for that long. Maybe 2 years tops. As for Lumia I thought that was time limited as well. I don't recall off hand though if it was. As a company MS wanted the technology and resources of Nokia handset division not the names otherwise they would have bought the whole of Nokia. So coming from that perspective I can see Surface being the name we'll see going forward. I'm not 100% sure but I wouldn't be surprised if we only see two or three phones a year from MS rather than the glut that Nokia normally produces. That's WP only not the lower end handsets.

Just my two cents worth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro