What WP needs to succeed

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

2.there should b complete redesign of app list if the applist is big with no. of apps the if don't know the app name we installed we have to go search by scrolling n only 1 app in a row takes lot of time,

Yes, this is one crazy bit of weak design. Apps are listed only by alphabetical name. Any app that has a poor or unhelpful title (like the ones that start with the publisher's name) sort of get lost unless you can remember what the dratted things was called. There should be the opportunity to group according to function, for a start.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Went to my local ISP store today to pick up a new cable modem, the woman next to me was returning her 635 saying "it was too complicated compared to Android, I can't figure out how to setup email or get on the internet", she wanted her sim back in her old S2 and said she'd think about what phone she wanted to switch to later. The rep offered to set it up for her but she seemed sort of ignorant, mainly because "its just too different from Android". I guess you can't argue that the general public are comfortable with what they're used to, and that's that. This is a trouble WP will find in succeeding I guess, the mass group of people who started off with one type of OS and just don't want to try something else out. But you have to presume she was in the store when she picked the phone up, so it could mainly be an excuse to save her hw upgrade? I don't know how that stuff works. I find it so hard to believe people coming from Android find WP 'complicated'...

jgservices

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
They need to implement almost all features customers are requesting like the Xbox team is doing. WebM, mkv and GIF support is just a few they need to add for video compatibility given the application numbers are lacking. They simply just need to look at what User voice feedback is telling them and get those features rolling!

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft needs to rebuild a product that breathes Microsoft. I like wp mostly for their ui choice but if you compare to what MS did in the past 20 years, wp with its limitations it is a bit odd. I think they were trying to make an os like ios because thay are more comfortable fighting Apple than Google. So they just did like Apple. They made a very good choice for the ui but the way the os functions is so not windows. I use Windows because i know i can mess around with the os if i need and IMO they should allow the same for wp.
Also they should remove the Windows brand from their mobile os.
They should close the uservoice website for good because given the time they need to implement requests from users, it is doing them more bad than good.

...and last but not least, somebody needs to let MS CEO know that no, MS doesn't have 90% market share in mobile os :)

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a gamer but I do have two small businesses, one entirely web based. I am a bit tired of Google tracking my every move or purchase and therefore by extension Android.

I think MS should look at what businessmen need and easily put together packages for segments of the economy that need apps. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to make an app for banks or credit unions that with very little work on the master template could be adopted to get out to everyone. I found Bank of America but not Neighbors Credit Union. Hardly any other banks that I noticed unless they had convoluted names for their apps. They developed the OS for the PC. Why not just hire up programmers to do this instead of the system they have right now that apparently gets the newbies off to a start but doesn't keep them after they start to write for the other OS's.

I really don't like Google or their world operations and thought the world of the Microsoft commercial on getting Scroogled. That's why when the HTC One for Windows came out the other day I finally had a phone I liked and now I want it to succeed. MS doesn't seem to have any suggestion boxes anywhere so I hope they read these forums. I already posted my rant about credit card apps for the Windows phone earlier. Just amazed that they don't listen to more of you guys here constantly helping with suggestions many of which would serve them well and they're not even paying you. What better help can you get?

I actually feel Google is the first real government/business the world has ever known. I'm an agnostic yet I got a bit offended when on Easter Google paints Hugo Chavez's face on one of their circles in their search engine for just Easter that could have easily been an egg. What's wrong with this company and their founders? I sure hope MS listens.

Hawk Tartaros

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I want Cortana to tell me i have a new e-mail, Facebook message, Whatsapp message or someones name when that person is calling me instead of hearing a ringtone.
I want to say to Cortana "Wikipedia search, Grand Canyon" and show me the wikipedia search page on that screen and read it out to me.What WP needs are more apps or instant access to Android apps.
A good music app that supports flac and a good user interface like the one on IOS or Android.
More codecs support.
Wifi on/off toggle from the notification center instead of going to the settings where you need to turn it on/off.
More functionality to Whatsapp.
A good Youtube app.
An addblock.
Google Chrome to sync with pc bookmarks.
Allow widgets for home automation (i have the philips hue lights and can look a pin to the homescreen but when i press it it does what it is supposed to do but also brings me into the app, what i do not want).

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
May be really simplistic, but need to be able to play your music randomly instead of alphabetically. Also, ability to hold down camera button for multiple quick shots would be great.

chris2707

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Surely all these little quibbles are pointless the only major improvement that's needed is improved app store/marketplace as it is nowhere near the level of android and apple in terms of quantity or quality I'm using a 520 atm whilst my one m8 android version is being repaired and the marketplace is the only thing that keeps me away tbh if there were more high quality apps/games I'd be sorted but its just poor (however improving from last time I used wp8) its good just not quite good enough

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. I use about ten apps, a couple of games and then a browser.
The fact there's more talking cat, farting minions, rip-off (non) anti-virus, 3rd party apps that are just costly shortcuts to a mobile site or other tosh in the Play or App stores is irrelevant to me.

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Chezm's post "......its just too different from Android" etc
This is one major reason why Microsoft tried to foist the Win 8.n interface on desktop devices. And we all know how well that went down.

Last edited:

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I want Cortana to tell me i have a new e-mail, Facebook message, Whatsapp message or someones name when that person is calling me instead of hearing a ringtone.

I want to say to Cortana "Wikipedia search, Grand Canyon" and show me the wikipedia search page on that screen and read it out to me.What WP needs are more apps or instant access to Android apps.

A good music app that supports flac and a good user interface like the one on IOS or Android.

More codecs support.

Wifi on/off toggle from the notification center instead of going to the settings where you need to turn it on/off.

More functionality to Whatsapp.

A good Youtube app.

An addblock.

Google Chrome to sync with pc bookmarks.

Allow widgets for home automation (i have the philips hue lights and can look a pin to the homescreen but when i press it it does what it is supposed to do but also brings me into the app, what i do not want).

Download Wikipedia app and just say to Cortana: Wikipedia Grand Canyon and she will open The app and read the first lines to you...

DANIEL HAULSEY

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
It would be nice if there was some kind of option to have preset start screens. making it possible to switch from a work mode to personal and have a completely different start screen/app layout. I get tired of swapping out or having to have all my apps on my start screen things get too cluttered after awhile.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
They need hardware specs no one else has. They also have to make the phone capable of performing tasks others can't. Which they don't seem to be interested in doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo