Could Microsoft have fooled tech bloggers about a Flagship release?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Multiple Windows Phone and Microsoft sources have informed us that there are no new devices left in the pipeline and that Microsoft has nothing left for this year. Of course, its not like Microsoft has ever kept a secret till it launched a product. Ever. Cough cough surface 1/Surface pro 3 cough cough.

The point here is, Microsoft is perfectly capable of holding its cards to its chest.

So how does this relate to Windows Phone? Remember the McLaren which was said to be cancelled?

As for the McLaren device itself, the latest rumors indicate a 5.2-inch full-HD screen, 20MP camera along with a 64 GB internal storage variant.

There were said to be two of them and I did hear from a Microsoft employee (now former) that one was a 1520 equipped with 3d touch which he didn't find very useful .

Eventually the project was revealed to be cancelled.... or was it?

We know that Microsoft is

looking forward to unveiling a Microsoft Lumia device soon,"

which was not predicted by any one "in the know". We know that April 2015 is much too far way to be classed as soon by any metric so what's going on here?
Perhaps it was a simple bait and switch. Yes the 3D touch tech was canned but perhaps the device itself lives on sans the gimmickry. Microsoft has of course fed the bloggers with enough leaks so as to keep them from looking too deeply .

When will this device be released? Perhaps next month with GDR2 AND the smartband, which may be imminent and in the 8.15 branch of the OS indicating a relatively huge jump.

Maybe...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It might be something as mundane as the Lumia 830 being rebranded as Microsoft rather than Nokia.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Multiple Windows Phone and Microsoft sources have informed us that there are no new devices left in the pipeline and that Microsoft has nothing left for this year. Of course, its not like Microsoft has ever kept a secret till it launched a product. Ever. Cough cough surface 1/Surface pro 3 cough cough.

The point here is, Microsoft is perfectly capable of holding its cards to its chest.

So how does this relate to Windows Phone? Remember the McLaren which was said to be cancelled?

There were said to be two of them and I did hear from a Microsoft employee (now former) that one was a 1520 equipped with 3d touch which he didn't find very useful .

Eventually the project was revealed to be cancelled.... or was it?

We know that Microsoft is

which was not predicted by any one "in the know". We know that April 2015 is much too far way to be classed as soon by any metric so what's going on here?
Perhaps it was a simple bait and switch. Yes the 3D touch tech was canned but perhaps the device itself lives on sans the gimmickry. Microsoft has of course fed the bloggers with enough leaks so as to keep them from looking too deeply .

When will this device be released? Perhaps next month with GDR2 AND the smartband, which may be imminent and in the 8.15 branch of the OS indicating a relatively huge jump.

Maybe...

Don't break my heart MS. 😢

ACynicalLamp

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm going with highly doubtful and that the person misspoke. It'll probably be the ATT 830 rebranded. The internet sure will run with that sentence to the end of time though.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
She said "we are looking forward to unveiling a Microsoft Lumia device soon. This is of course a NATURAL PROGRESSION as ALL devices that once came from Nokia now come from Microsoft."

So this new device is something that the 'Nokia' team have been working on. I definitely don't think it will be a simple rebadged 830 as she goes on to say existing Nokia Lumias will be sold and not outdated. I also don't think its the smart wrist device either, expecting Microsoft to be creating a new brand like Surface was.

The big question for me is are the new branding images released today from the new device? The top green one looks similar to the Lumia 630 but not the same (more rounded). Does anyone else recognise which device this sample image is from?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft wasn't one to try to play the Apple-Top-Secret thing, but they have the ability to play the game much better than Apple at this point. From a design process, it is Microsoft in the software and hardware design process, as opposed to previously where Microsoft built the software and Nokia did hardware.

Apple hasn't been able to keep an iPhone under wraps for several iterations now, as the weak point in their top secret bubble of appleness is the manufacturing plants in China. Almost all of the leaks have been coming from there.

Nokia didn't outsource their manufacturing to a company like Foxconn, they owned their own plants, and those plants are now Microsoft's. So, it's possibly easier for them to suppress leaks in the chain.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
TO OP: Soon is a very subjective word... I too hope that there will be a flagship by this year end. Yes Daniel, I know you said its impossible xP

I have been wondering why they didn't just eliminate the hover-touching on the McLaren and release it as a regular smartphone.

Because it'll then just be a larger 930? This will be equal to killing the 930 lol

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
TO OP: Soon is a very subjective word... I too hope that there will be a flagship by this year end. Yes Daniel, I know you said its impossible xP

Because it'll then just be a larger 930? This will be equal to killing the 930 lol

Verizon's already killing the Icon, so if it's a US only phone, please, let us have it!

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Would love a new 1020 or a flagship at least with something for that wow factor, considering the recent launches from iPhone and Samsung etc it would be perfect timing. Realistically I can't see this happening but it would be great if it was.

MS has the momentum just now with all the talk of Windows 10, Surface doing well it just needs that extra something to push mobile back to the forefront.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am in the UK, but looking in from the outside I do think MS have put themselves in bad place with the Icon in the US, I understand because of a "Perceived" position of weakness they were possibly forced into this, but with the looming of 10 they should for once copy Apple and start to man up to the carriers but maybe with the way 10 will be cross platform (Phone, PC, Xbox etc) this will almost be built in, how will you be able to delay an upgrade that affects PC's, Xbox's tablets and phones because one carrier decides to be an arsh*le.

If it all goes well, MS will be in a very strong place in the coming years.

Bob

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's a tempting thought for those of us that want something a little bit more worthy than the 930 as a flagship-class successor to the 920, 1020 and 1520, all of which ushered in some genuinely exciting tech. (I say that as somebody who uses the 930 and has been won round by it since the underwhelming unveiling and long time to market.)

However, I'm sceptical that we'll see anything this side of Christmas on the high-end front. I've resigned myself to just looking forward to the Denim and Lumia Camera updates. If there do happen to be any movements on the hardware side of things, then it'll be a nice surprise, particularly after being quite disappointed with what the Nexus 6 turned out to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3