It's not fair

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Now that I look closely, there are small differences between the app on my Androids and that on my 1020. Also I can't find any YouTube version info in the 1020 app, as I can do easily in the Android app settings.

The YouTube "app" on Windows Phone is just a browser wrapper. It is literally just the website. Which is why I just pin the website to my home screen instead.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So, why don't we start a class action suit against Google?

Because there are no grounds for any litigation. A lot of people seem to have really na?ve ideas about what is actionable vis a vis class action suits. Companies are not obligated to provide applications for competing platforms. If they were, every Linux or Mac user would have had any number of companies that make Windows software in court since the early 1990s.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any idea why 7.x didn't upgrade to 8? It's because it was on a completely different OS kernel. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are built on the same kernel as Windows 10. Microsoft has pretty much confirmed that all existing devices will support Windows 10.
Using a "completely different kernel" doesn't mean anything in terms of backwards compatibility with hardware (e.g. you can run Win95, WinNT, and Linux on the same computer with no problem). Either the WP7 hardware was lacking a specific feature MSFT wanted to use in WP8 ... or the WP7 hardware was simply too low spec'd to give acceptable performance in WP8.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Using a "completely different kernel" doesn't mean anything in terms of backwards compatibility with hardware (e.g. you can run Win95, WinNT, and Linux on the same computer with no problem). Either the WP7 hardware was lacking a specific feature MSFT wanted to use in WP8 ... or the WP7 hardware was simply too low spec'd to give acceptable performance in WP8.

Just because you can, doesn't mean it's easy. Especially when you are talking smartphones with low specs, carrier dependencies, and other variables the leave room for many errors.

Microsoft took the safer route of starting fresh. It burned a few people, but wp7 market share was pretty insignificant. I was a WP7 user from day one, and wasn't **** hurt at all by upgrade issue.

WP8 -> W10 is a different story. MS can't break that.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Because there are no grounds for any litigation. A lot of people seem to have really na?ve ideas about what is actionable vis a vis class action suits. Companies are not obligated to provide applications for competing platforms. If they were, every Linux or Mac user would have had any number of companies that make Windows software in court since the early 1990s.

Google is specifically singling out Microsoft for abuse. They have intentionally sabotaged access from WP to their services, issued a cease and desist for MS' Youtube app, while allowing third party Youtube apps that don't show ads, allow downloads, and aren't written in HTML 5. If Microsoft were to ban installs of Chrome in Windows, and disable access to Youtube, Gmail, etc., in IE, they would be sued yesterday. That's grounds for an antitrust suit.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I always thought antitrust would apply if Google didn't allow anyone but themselves develop the app and block all other attempts. In my opinion, I don't see it as antitrust if third party options are being allowed on the platform. So a class action lawsuit would probably not go anywhere unless you bring evidence that the services Google offer are critical to the majority of users of Windows phone and that MSFT doesn't have services to match those offerings.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it sucks on the part of Google, but I also learned that if I expect everything to be fair, I'll spend my whole life disappointed.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Dw guys. Third party apps are awesome on WP. Youtube=myTube, metrotube or tube cast. Google+ = gplus. Dropbox and google drive= one drive and cloud 6. Hangouts messaging = im+. Google now= cortana, Google maps = gmaps, bing maps or here maps, hangouts calling = Skype. If Google won't support us then we will support ourselves.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Dw guys. Third party apps are awesome on WP. Youtube=myTube, metrotube or tube cast. Google+ = gplus. Dropbox and google drive= one drive and cloud 6. Hangouts messaging = im+. Google now= cortana, Google maps = gmaps, bing maps or here maps, hangouts calling = Skype. If Google won't support us then we will support ourselves.

Better yet, just don't use Google services. The only reason I have a Google ID is for use of Youtube.. That way I can keep an eyes on what I watch on youtube.
I have no need for G+, Gdrive,Gmaps,Gdocs or any other G whatever.

I have a 3rd Party app on my 1020 for youtube but since Cyan Update I mostly now just watch in browser.

Yes switching over to only MS services can be a bit of time and hastle, but you can do everything you need in the MS ecosystem.

Here Maps and Here Transit I have found to be wonderful from day one, and I was shocked that my Towns Transit system was covered by Here.

Here was most useful when my trip covered Multi Bus/Multi System trips........Guelph Transit-> Go ->TTC

If your company requires G option then your stuck. However I can live without access to Google, and if I dumped my youtube, I would be free of Google complete.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Better yet, just don't use Google services. The only reason I have a Google ID is for use of Youtube.. That way I can keep an eyes on what I watch on youtube.
I have no need for G+, Gdrive,Gmaps,Gdocs or any other G whatever.

I have a 3rd Party app on my 1020 for youtube but since Cyan Update I mostly now just watch in browser.

Yes switching over to only MS services can be a bit of time and hastle, but you can do everything you need in the MS ecosystem.

Here Maps and Here Transit I have found to be wonderful from day one, and I was shocked that my Towns Transit system was covered by Here.

Here was most useful when my trip covered Multi Bus/Multi System trips........Guelph Transit-> Go ->TTC

If your company requires G option then your stuck. However I can live without access to Google, and if I dumped my youtube, I would be free of Google complete.

Same here, but there's the problem of missing and lagging first party apps. If, and when, I go to Android, I'll still use Outlook, One Drive, etc. I just wish I didn't have to leave Windows OS. I just can't tolerate Microsoft's incompetence anymore. If they get their act together with Windows 10, maybe I'll come back.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
None of the Google apps are even that good, why is it a big deal? Microsoft is being the good guy here. If Microsoft didn't support Android, Google would have even more reason to never develop WP apps. At least Microsoft is showing that they can be mature. Maybe Google will eventually see that they are in the wrong and they will develop for WP. Just give it time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Google is trying to buy up the internet and all portals to get to it. When we got youtube, google killed it. When we got Waze, google took that so now it'll never see another update, landscape mode to be specific. And when google changes the API, (for its BS reason, security) it will no longer run on Windows phones.

I suspect it even has its hands in what developers will and won't do for this platform. I also suspect it even has a voice in what carriers will promote, at least in the US. Either by coercion, access to google API and or by cold hard cash, they do what they are told.
They have a lot of power on the internet and I wouldn't have a problem with that except that they are a group that has proven they cannot be trusted with the public good.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Google won't share there apps with windowsphone like YouTube, google earth, dropbox and so .. The question is WHY DID MICROSOFT SHARE BING APPS, ONEDRIVE AND OFFICE WITH ANDROID ?? It's really not fair they get our apps and we don't get theirs

Because WP is so small market share wise, Google doesn't care about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Google. WP is just too small, Google has to invest its money where the users are. Microsoft does the same, they support the Mac but not the Linux desktop, because Linux's share is at the same level than WP.

In general, Microsoft could learn a lot from Google in ethics. If Google kicked Microsoft out of the consumer market is because they're focused in the users, serving them well and giving good products for little or no money.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The ideal way for Microsoft to go is to use Google's own tactics against them. Remove ALL Microsoft apps from the play store, tell them that under no circumstances are they allowed to add outlook.com support into the Gmail app and then tell Android users that the mobile websites for Microsoft services are perfectly functional for them.

All while improving the experiences on Windows Phone.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Many people don't switch because of the lack of google apps on WP. It helps them keeping their market rate in phone software up, without letting Microsoft grow as a real third OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte