Is Microsoft unwise to ignore their own platform?

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I know you guys must have read, replied and discussed about this a lot lately but is the idea of supporting other platforms way before microsoft's own platform which needs to be poised for growth but instead the windows, windows phone and windows RT are biting dust while rivals are seeing the most developer love from microsoft at all sensible?

one of the most killer productivity suite of apps namely the Office is now universally available on IOS and is going to be available for Android very soon....and the touch version of it is not due on windows until windows 10. what reason should a productivity minded consumer have to move in with a platform that have little developer interest which is lead by the platform's owner itself?

we windows(phone) users are very synonymous with wait until the next big thing but IMO this is not gonna hold out much longer.the hardware and software are/were always top notch with windows platform albeit occasional hiccups but hey c'mon microsoft is not just a software and services company right now but also a hardware company.....if they cant support their own hardware division with the latest software there is absolutely no other reason for other developers to support windows. this is not the case just with Office but also some features with Skype Qik, Snipp3t for IOS and Skype itself....

though i think microsoft is one a very bold and different path from the old one i am extremely skeptical about this treating of their own service as a second hand one. now i understand that in a world of tech for the need to stay relevant you need to stay visible across the whole spectrum that doesnt mean your own platform has to be invisible. i dont like this aspect of the new microsoft and frankly i guess the consumers and developers show the same attitude towards MS too..

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I know you guys must have read, replied and discussed about this a lot lately but is the idea of supporting other platforms way before microsoft's own platform which needs to be poised for growth but instead the windows, windows phone and windows RT are biting dust while rivals are seeing the most developer love from microsoft at all sensible? one of the most killer productivity suite of apps namely the Office is now universally available on IOS and is going to be available for Android very soon....and the touch version of it is not due on windows until windows 10. what reason should a productivity minded consumer have to move in with a platform that have little developer interest which is lead by the platform's owner itself? we windows(phone) users are very synonymous with wait until the next big thing but IMO this is not gonna hold out much longer.the hardware and software are/were always top notch with windows platform albeit occasional hiccups but hey c'mon microsoft is not just a software and services company right now but also a hardware company.....if they cant support their own hardware division with the latest software there is absolutely no other reason for other developers to support windows. this is not the case just with Office but also some features with Skype Qik, Snipp3t for IOS and Skype itself....though i think microsoft is one a very bold and different path from the old one i am extremely skeptical about this treating of their own service as a second hand one. now i understand that in a world of tech for the need to stay relevant you need to stay visible across the whole spectrum that doesnt mean your own platform has to be invisible. i dont like this aspect of the new microsoft and frankly i guess the consumers and developers show the same attitude towards MS too..

What do you guys think?

I can understand skype,office and onedrive availability as they can lose their business users, but atleast the first & best update should come to WP which is not the case.

and to add salt to the injury MS is now releasing age of empires to ios & android which should have remained exclusive.
Age of Empires: World Domination(iPhone,iPad?Android?Windows Phone)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I know you guys must have read, replied and discussed about this a lot lately but is the idea of supporting other platforms way before microsoft's own platform which needs to be poised for growth but instead the windows, windows phone and windows RT are biting dust while rivals are seeing the most developer love from microsoft at all sensible? one of the most killer productivity suite of apps namely the Office is now universally available on IOS and is going to be available for Android very soon....and the touch version of it is not due on windows until windows 10. what reason should a productivity minded consumer have to move in with a platform that have little developer interest which is lead by the platform's owner itself? we windows(phone) users are very synonymous with wait until the next big thing but IMO this is not gonna hold out much longer.the hardware and software are/were always top notch with windows platform albeit occasional hiccups but hey c'mon microsoft is not just a software and services company right now but also a hardware company.....if they cant support their own hardware division with the latest software there is absolutely no other reason for other developers to support windows. this is not the case just with Office but also some features with Skype Qik, Snipp3t for IOS and Skype itself....though i think microsoft is one a very bold and different path from the old one i am extremely skeptical about this treating of their own service as a second hand one. now i understand that in a world of tech for the need to stay relevant you need to stay visible across the whole spectrum that doesnt mean your own platform has to be invisible. i dont like this aspect of the new microsoft and frankly i guess the consumers and developers show the same attitude towards MS too..

What do you guys think?
Why are you so angry. We are getting office with windows 10. Because the app is currently built into the OS. Also you have to remember that Microsoft is a software company first. Nadella is doing the right thing. With all the money they will make they will use it to improve their own platforms. Mobile first, cloud first remember. Not windows(phone) first, cloud first.

It would be different if windows phone had high marketshare but it doesn't so deal with it.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Why are you so angry. We are getting office with windows 10. Because the app is currently built into the OS. Also you have to remember that Microsoft is a software company first. Nadella is doing the right thing. With all the money they will make they will use it to improve their own platforms. Mobile first, cloud first remember. Not windows(phone) first, cloud first.

It would be different if windows phone had high marketshare but it doesn't so deal with it.
We want to see something, we want to know what Microsoft is going to do to improve their market share, to close the app gap.I love ❤ Windows phone, but mMS always try to make me switch to the stupid ISHEEP or dump Android.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
We want to see something, we want to know what Microsoft is going to do to improve their market share, to close the app gap.I love ❤ Windows phone, but mMS always try to make me switch to the stupid ISHEEP or dump Android.
they don't want you to but they have to support them first because that's where the majority are at.

kumar_rajan5000

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
MS is saving it's software like office. Think if MS doesn't provide them office then they will quit using office and will use their own apps. And right now ms earns more from selling services not from selling phones. Ms is selling phones just show that their windows is is for each and every electronic device like giving health band for showing what a band can do. Ms is just releasing few months earlier to other os just to safeguard their current services. And wp will certainly have enough market share to be in competition.
So don't panic. It is only a matter of time. In future all mobile os will use Windows apps.

sufran

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Me too don't like the attitude of MS @buddy007.
Atleast they might have given importance to their own OS. They make beautiful apps for other platforms but make a lagged one for their own ones! They give updates for others but neglect their own system!
And see there, 'Age of empires' is now being developed for others too. Aaaah! What an attitude Microsoft!
And those people who say don't be angry, why should not I be angry? I spend my damn money for buying a Windows phone and these people at microsoft develop great apps for other platforms. Won't I be angry. Am I fool not to get angry. I am not rich like satya nadella to buy many phones. I spend money for their products and they neglect me and do favour for others. *If I had a KFC restaurant, I would serve first to my customers who had paid me NOT to those who are going outside on the road* Logic man!
Mobile first, cloud first. Go to the hell! My children are starving here and I am bothering about the neighbour child who lost his candy! Aaah! So frustated. Its not mobile first actually, Its "android, iOS first & WP last!" I used to have a good opinion on Microsoft but this satya nadella is ruining everything!

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
but it's true, MS is a software company. Windows Phone is also here to sell their software and services, their main point of income!

they are simply expanding their market and reaching more people and this is actually a good thing!

and those who start using MS services on Android/iOS might want to try WP to have the complete ecossystem, perhaps even more than keeping MS services exclusive to WP while they use other solutions like Quickoffice

it is actually a good move to try and catch more into their ecossystem and then this users make a move to WP!

but only the future will tell what will happen

sufran

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
@nessinhaw. Developing business aaps is okay. But developing those business apps into a wonderful app for other platforms neglecting WP here highlights a topic that good app/UI can't be built in Windows phone, which is false. Isn't. So, what the thing is- fill your stomach first and if possible feed others too. We here on windows phone, where apps are lagging, (even those developed by microsoft) are eating cheap products with a golden plate in the hand and those on other platforms have so so plates and are enjoing a wonderful meal!
I am not saying don't develop for others but we too are customers who showed our love by buying a Windows phone and atleast microsoft should keep our faith.
They are not only developing business related apps but are developing every app. Why then coming on to Windows phone? I can better enjoy microsoft products on Android. Isn't it?
Each and every app is being developed to others in the name of 'mobile first' and ditching WP!
I am really angry as every app is being developed for those android and iOS and not for us. This is just because the developers get more reviews from those platforms and automatically their interest shifts for developing updates to those platforms leaving the minors(Window phone). So, "don't develop for others and stay healthy" is the matra that should be adopted by MS.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the interest in Office by consumers is overrated. I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere I saw that only 13% of consumers bought Office 365 subscriptions.

I have an Office 365 subscription, but the only features I really use regularly are Outlook on desktop and OneDrive. I don't remember the last time I've used Word, Excel or PowerPoint on desktop, much less on mobile. I've never used Access or Publisher on desktop at all. My main interest in Office 365 is the unlimited OneDrive storage.

I don't think the average consumer really has much interest in Office.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The excuse is always that there are more people on ios and android and that they are waiting for Windows 10 but even in places they are developing apps for all platforms WP comes last. Example, android and ios can secure their OneDrive apps with a pin, all WP got was an android UI. Why was that extra feature left out from only the WP version, does that also require an OS update? No matter what Microsoft app you look at, the WP version is ALWAYS lacking something from the competitors, that's no accident.

Microsoft is not doing anything to help the platform grow so it can be treated equally either by themselves or 3rd parties, that in itself tells you how little regard they have for it and its users.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Well MS do offer superior quality apps to Android and iOS(maybe).

And many users say this "if you like MS apps then use Android"

So, yes MS isn't serious enough about WP.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The excuse is always that there are more people on ios and android and that they are waiting for Windows 10 but even in places they are developing apps for all platforms WP comes last. Example, android and ios can secure their OneDrive apps with a pin, all WP got was an android UI. Why was that extra feature left out from only the WP version, does that also require an OS update? No matter what Microsoft app you look at, the WP version is ALWAYS lacking something from the competitors, that's no accident.

Microsoft is not doing anything to help the platform grow so it can be treated equally either by themselves or 3rd parties, that in itself tells you how little regard they have for it and its users.

Agreed, market share is always used to justify superior versions on other platforms.

Microsoft should be concentrating on building up its own platform first, instead of contributing to the growth of competing platforms.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Man, I'm really getting tired of people ******** about this.

If you haven't heard, Microsoft's focus now is on services. That means Office, OneDrive, etc. And the best way to get people to use those services is make it available on all platforms.

Their OSes are now just a means of deliver a wholistic package for their services. It's no longer a massive money maker goal for them. So why damage their services (primary business model) to boost their OS (not at all business model).

Also, it makes perfect sense to launch Office touch with Windows 10. Despite your claims, Office was already on Windows and Windows Phone way before Android or iOS. So your argument is flawed there anyways.

The only thing launching on Android and iOS earlier than Windows is a touch version. And for anyone with a clue on running a business, that makes PERFECT sense.

The majority of Windows users are on desktop. So the desktop version suits most Windows users the best.

The majority of Apple and Google users are on tablets and phones. So the touch version suites most of their users best.

If you haven't noticed, OSX won't have a new desktop version of Office until sometime in 2015. 4 years since their last update. Meanwhile Office for Windows desktop has a much more recent update (2013).

All of this makes perfect sense.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the interest in Office by consumers is overrated. I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere I saw that only 13% of consumers bought Office 365 subscriptions.

I have an Office 365 subscription, but the only features I really use regularly are Outlook on desktop and OneDrive. I don't remember the last time I've used Word, Excel or PowerPoint on desktop, much less on mobile. I've never used Access or Publisher on desktop at all. My main interest in Office 365 is the unlimited OneDrive storage.

I don't think the average consumer really has much interest in Office.

Hey, I could have written this! I think too that we often overrate the importance of Office to the average consumer.

Like you, I don't come anywhere close to fully utilizing my Office 365 subscription. I have it for the sole purpose of Office on the desktop. I don't even use OneDrive. I install Office on 3 different PCs, and it was much cheaper to get the Office 365 subscription than to buy 3 separate Office licenses. I mainly use Outlook, Excel, and Word, but I do use all 3 of them extensively.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Man, I'm really getting tired of people ******** about this.

If you haven't heard, Microsoft's focus now is on services. That means Office, OneDrive, etc. And the best way to get people to use those services is make it available on all platforms.

Their OSes are now just a means of deliver a wholistic package for their services. It's no longer a massive money maker goal for them. So why damage their services (primary business model) to boost their OS (not at all business model).

Also, it makes perfect sense to launch Office touch with Windows 10. Despite your claims, Office was already on Windows and Windows Phone way before Android or iOS. So your argument is flawed there anyways.

The only thing launching on Android and iOS earlier than Windows is a touch version. And for anyone with a clue on running a business, that makes PERFECT sense.

The majority of Windows users are on desktop. So the desktop version suits most Windows users the best.

The majority of Apple and Google users are on tablets and phones. So the touch version suites most of their users best.

If you haven't noticed, OSX won't have a new desktop version of Office until sometime in 2015. 4 years since their last update. Meanwhile Office for Windows desktop has a much more recent update (2013).

All of this makes perfect sense.

I have no problem with services being available on ALL platforms but when it comes at the cost of not giving your own ecosystem the same features then that IS a problem.

I keep saying this but people seem to ignore it, how many updates has Office on WP seen in the entire time between WP7 and WP8.1 Update 1? I'll tell you. One, yes that's right one update in the entire time WP has been on the market and what did that add, support for password protected documents, oh but wait you can't actually edit them. Support for documents using Office 2013 file formats, oh but wait if it has special formatting you can't edit them and renaming SkyDrive to OneDrive.

Want another example then how about OneDrive, iOS and Android users now have support for PIN protection and what did WP users get nothing but a ****ed up Android UI and that was to add one thing which is OneDrive for Business, a feature that less than 1% of all WP users are going to need.

WP should be the flagship mobile platform for Microsoft but it seems as though they've sidelined it in favour of iOS and Android. What possible reason is there for the new version of Office to be tied to Windows 10, Universal apps are here already and all Microsoft had to do in WP8.1 was remove Office from the core of the OS and give us faster updates. On Surface there is zero excuse seeing as the videos seem to show it running on current devices which would be running Windows 8.1!!!

Ozzy1320

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, market share is always used to justify superior versions on other platforms.

Microsoft should be concentrating on building up its own platform first, instead of contributing to the growth of competing platforms.

Its true "If you build it, they will come....

There platform should have been running better then perfect even God like before they venture out.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Moan. Moan moan moan. Moan m**n moan moan lol moan!!!!

Moan moan moan. Moan!

Moan :p

Don't like it then go somewhere else, most of us on here have been with the platform since the very first release of Windows Phone so we've seen it improve and also get sidelined, so don't you ever tell us that we're moaning.

If you like their current strategy then fine, that's YOUR opinion and you are entitled to it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What do you guys think?

I think I stopped reading your post after about 2 lines because it's a wall of text. Learn to paragraph.

As to what I think you mean based on those 2 lines and your subject? No, I don't think they're dumb. Windows Phone users (myself included, even, at one point) seem to labor under the misguided idea that if you buy a Windows Phone you are somehow important to Microsoft, or that you mean something to Microsoft, and that Microsoft owes you a premium experience.

Microsoft is a corporation, and a corporation's main goal is to make money for the shareholders. Microsoft is going to go where the money is at, and unfortunately, that's not in Windows Phone. I'm not saying that Windows Phone is doomed or that there's NO money in it whatsoever, but there's MORE money in Android and iOS. That's what they would be dumb to ignore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel