What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
As far as music goes, being able to drag and drop music and video to and from my 1520 using only Windows Explorer is reason enough for me to stay with the Microsoft ecosystem. As others have mentioned above, I too can't stand iTunes and having to "sync" stuff. That and the multiple accounts and computers that really throw things off as someone also mentioned.
For a music PLAYER on my 1520, Xbox music works fine, but MixRadio (Formerly Nokia MixRadio, formerly Nokia Music) is my favorite.

Other things that keep me a happy WP user

? Glance screen
? Expandable micro SD card storage
? Dedicated camera/hardware shutter button
? Pureview camera tech (though I AM a bit jealous of the iPhone's high frame rate video recording for slow motion vids)
? Live tiles
? Customizable Start screen
? The ability to pin contacts to Start
? Nokia build quality
? Hardware specs (1520)
? Cortana (though she's expected to land on the other platforms, it wont be the same level of integration that we have here on WP with the hardware search button. Not even sure if the upcoming "Hey Cortana" feature included with the Denim firmware will work on the other platforms.. We'll see.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I felt the same way a short time ago, but for me it was mostly apps, and the lack thereof on WP. I have been with iPhone for the past month and am now switching back. The UI is boring as all get out, and is not customizable at all. The phone damages easily (I have some scratches already and I don't treat it badly at all). The camera is not as good as my 920 either.

I do agree that MS is killing us by now giving Cortana to everyone, Office, One Drive, etc. At the end of the day, the OS for WP is what is pulling me back.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget that iOS's Office app has restrictions if you do not pay for it. WP has a unique UI and the way I use it is just different from how I am gonna use my other Android.

But yes, you can happily leave WP. Microsoft's services is already expanding to other OS'es.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937) using Tapatalk

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Being always dependent on iTunes is the thing I always hate.
You can't share files via NFC, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi in iPhone, whereas in WP that's possible.
Other than all that, I like these things about WP:
1. Expandable memory
2. Customizable start screen, live tiles.
3. Lumia apps
4. Pure view cameras
5. Glance screen
6. Camera button
7. Mix radio
8. Customizable lock screen
9. Ability to open camera even when phone is locked.
10. Bing images & bing search.
11. Cortana
12. Files app(to hide images, videos etc)
13. Nokia's built quality
14. Offline maps
15. Internet explorer
Sent from my dark knight 1320

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently living with both the iPhone 6 Plus and the Lumia 1520. There are not a lot of major differences, but several minor things that add up. I like the 1520's hardware better: larger screen, colorful polycarbonate body, 20 megapixel camera, SD card, better button placement, micro USB instead of a specialized cable. I also like the live tiles, customization, the back button that closes the program, web browser and the fact the 1520 is almost half the price of the iPhone 6 Plus. Cortana is better than Siri. With iPhone I like the fingerprint sensor, the numerous high quality apps and endless number of accessories. With iPhone's apps I can do things I can't do with Windows Phone: read my Nook books and magazines, easily look at real estate, start my car remotely, control my thermostat remotely. Currently Office apps are better on iPhone than WP but I have yet to be able to find a workout app on iPhone that I like as much as GymAce on Windows Phone. I still haven't decided which one I am going to keep.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm a frequent switcher between the two, I've had my iPhone 6 since launch and am looking to hop back over to WP. I am torn in what I'll miss, but I'm torn already with what I feel I'm missing. Cortana is a huge plus, it's evolving constantly where Siri will stay the same until a significant point or full version release. The WP WordFlow keyboard blows away any one tried on IOS so far. I really like being able to see interaction history with contacts on a swipe, and still feel the email client on WP is second to none.
What will I miss leaving Apple? Voice dictation of email, several, several app and the simpler and usually better camera experience.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I currently also uses both a 1520 and a 6+. There's nothing better on the iPhone except that dreaded 3rd party app gap (in terms of quality) and Touch ID. For the base OS WP is much better than iOS. My homescreen on WP is much more useful and well organised than iOS can hope to be. iOS has more apps, but there's less features in the OS which means you have to pay for a lot of features. eg I can't even get a nice data usage widget in iOS 8 unless I pay for one, whereas Data Sense is so good on WP and I constantly have a Live Tile on the homescreen telling me exactly how much data I have left for the month.

Oh and definitely the keyboard. The default keyboard on iOS still blows hard after all these years - no good distinction between upper and low case letter and the dictionary is crap.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I sincerely believe that MS doesn't care which phone OS you use as long as you use MS applications. There is not much incentive anymore to move to Windows Phone nor would it be too disruptive to leave for another OS. This is a good thing - unless you somehow have a hope that Windows Phone will ever gain significant market share.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Seriously considering returning to the iPhone and yes I will miss the live tiles but honestly it is starting to look like that is all I will miss especially if that article I read says we can get the benefits of Cortana on Apple. Unless a miracle happens I don't see a real flag ship phone appearing by the time my contract is up. I will keep my 2520, will keep the laptop updated to Windows Preview 10. Of course I could also switch to Samsung. I just don't think Microsoft is listening to anything.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
"I have one word for you: iTunes. That **** is awful."

X-box music is far worse. So bad, in fact, that I have stopped listening to music on my phone altogether.

Dealing with Xbox Music has been almost as frustrating as when I tried to install OS/2 on my IBM. When Xbox Music works I love it but it screws up so often! Currently it doesn't work on my 1520 and is very slow on the iPhone. Spotify's team can make an app that work perfectly on multiple platforms but Microsoft's team has had years, issued countless updates and the app still doesn't work right on their own platform. They can't even manage a live tile! I might be more forgiving if this was free but I pay for a service every month that I can't use on my phone.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
iPhone's only advantage for me right now is its music player.

I always say this but once Microsoft gets it right in that department, there's no reason for me to switch to any platform.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I sincerely believe that MS doesn't care which phone OS you use as long as you use MS applications. There is not much incentive anymore to move to Windows Phone nor would it be too disruptive to leave for another OS. This is a good thing - unless you somehow have a hope that Windows Phone will ever gain significant market share.
It will be interesting to see how that plays out. It's not inconceivable that some people will use great Windows apps on iOS and Android and down the road say "well, the apps are good, maybe I'll try their phone." It might be a better strategy than little to no mindshare, as is the case at the moment.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
As far as music goes, being able to drag and drop music and video to and from my 1520 using only Windows Explorer is reason enough for me to stay with the Microsoft ecosystem. As others have mentioned above, I too can't stand iTunes and having to "sync" stuff. That and the multiple accounts and computers that really throw things off as someone also mentioned.
For a music PLAYER on my 1520, Xbox music works fine, but MixRadio (Formerly Nokia MixRadio, formerly Nokia Music) is my favorite.

Other things that keep me a happy WP user

? Glance screen
? Expandable micro SD card storage
? Dedicated camera/hardware shutter button
? Pureview camera tech (though I AM a bit jealous of the iPhone's high frame rate video recording for slow motion vids)
? Live tiles
? Customizable Start screen
? The ability to pin contacts to Start
? Nokia build quality
? Hardware specs (1520)
? Cortana (though she's expected to land on the other platforms, it wont be the same level of integration that we have here on WP with the hardware search button. Not even sure if the upcoming "Hey Cortana" feature included with the Denim firmware will work on the other platforms.. We'll see.

I'm able to drag and drop music and videos through iTunes and have not once ever synced anything

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes, this is the current status quo.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Strike Cortana off the list of Windows Phone advantages. Apparently Apple and Android will be getting her too.

Even if they don't get Cortana, Android and iOS have their own similar product. While Siri isn't as functional as Cortana, Google Now is overall at least equal. It lacks in some areas, but it's better in others.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how that plays out. It's not inconceivable that some people will use great Windows apps on iOS and Android and down the road say "well, the apps are good, maybe I'll try their phone." It might be a better strategy than little to no mindshare, as is the case at the moment.

This is not the case with anyone that I know. They are happy to get MS apps and have zero desire, let alone incentive, to downgrade (their words, not mine) to Windows Phone.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, their are some feature but none of them is important.(more like gimmicky feature)

It's funny that WP have some advantages over Android and Android have some over WP.
same with Android and iOS.
But when we compare WP advantages over iOS.

Seriously I can't think one.
Specially Major advantages(sure WP have File Manager, Bluetooth File transfer etc.. but not kind of deal breaker and UI is subjective matter)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss