What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone back in 2010 was a Windows Phone. I've never used an iPhone or Android device.

I was hanging out with a friend of mine last night and he was showing me his new iPhone 6. I'll have to admit that I was pretty impressed - especially with the hardware. In my opinion, Apple has finally nailed it with their design. They finally have a decent sized phone and they have borrowed all of the elegant design that Nokia pioneered. I have the 925, which I love. iPhone 6 is basically the next logical progression of the 925 as far as design goes.

The one thing that he was really interested in, regarding Windows Phone, was Cortana. I got to show her off a bit so that was cool and he was pretty impressed.

However - after playing around with his iPhone - for the first time, I have started thinking about switching over. I started thinking about what I would miss if I left WP for iPhone. The only thing that I could think of was Cortana. iPhone has all the apps and has a gorgeous high-end flagship phone -- available on my carrier (Tmo). Office is there. MS has developed a One Drive app for iPhone so that won't be a problem. Windows Phone has pretty much abandoned the hub concept, so that differentiator is gone. And now they will be getting Cortana. I can just get the iPhone, switch over to iMore, and I don't feel like I would miss a beat.

As I am sitting here right now, I can't think of a single reason to stay with Windows Phone. And the weird part about it is I'm not even sad about it. In fact, I'm kind of excited!

What am I missing?

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I know, categories with contact and emails, better exchange synchronization, outlook ActiveSync, and all the features in windows mobile 6 that have been removed. Come to think of it not much left😭

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
A beautiful UI. Plus, I think an already perfected platform is boring. I'd rather stay with Windows Phone and enjoy the ride :) iPhone is boring, boring OS, boring company.

jedpatrickdatu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
If you've grown tired of Windows Phone, then sure, give the iPhone a go to break the monotony. Both platforms has its pros and cons - you still get as much with the iPhone as with a WP, maybe a bit more.

My reasons for sticking with WP over iPhone is:

1. iPhone is too expensive and I really don't like Apple's attitude with the pricing and the bendgate fiasco
2. WP has a very unique and stylish design
3. Nokia's excellent cameras
4. Nokia's bold and durable designs

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
If you've grown tired of Windows Phone, then sure, give the iPhone a go to break the monotony. Both platforms has its pros and cons - you still get as much with the iPhone as with a WP, maybe a bit more.

1. iPhone is too expensive and I really don't like Apple's attitude with the pricing and the bendgate fiasco

Amen

I have an iPhone for testing. Every time I use it I'm bored and frustrated. It's just so lame and unappealing.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
"I have one word for you: iTunes. That **** is awful."

X-box music is far worse. So bad, in fact, that I have stopped listening to music on my phone altogether.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Amen

I have an iPhone for testing. Every time I use it I'm bored and frustrated. It's just so lame and unappealing.

I'll have to admit that I do love the Windows Phone UI. No platform is without its flaws, but all of the other advantages far outweigh how much I enjoy looking at my start screen.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it's monotony that's causing me to wander because I prefer Windows Phone's UI over iPhone. As you say, both platforms have their pros and cons.

1. The expense isn't an issue and I think, if you were to be honest, the bendgate 'fiasco' is a bit overblown. I'm sure if I tried hard enough, I could bend my 925 where the volume buttons are.

2. If you are referring to the UI, I totally agree.

3. Yes. Nokia's cameras are the best. I think one of their camera developers has since left Nokia and joined the iPhone team. It won't be long before iPhone catches up.

4. If you are referring to the hardware, I would agree to a point. Nokia has made some beautiful devices (Icon, 925, 830), but Microsoft's current strategy of flooding the earth with low end, colorful plastic doesn't excite me.

I do appreciate your feedback, jedpatricdatu!

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
When someone mentioned iTunes, I don't think they meant on phone, I think they mean how terrible it is to use iTunes on desktop. Syncing music to your phones is a nightmare using iTunes. Don't even think about using multiple computers BOOM there goes your collection. It's terrible, and it's the only option with iPhones.

3. Yes. Nokia's cameras are the best. I think one of their camera developers has since left Nokia and joined the iPhone team. It won't be long before iPhone catches up.!

I don't think that one person would make a difference.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Go ahead and switch, its a free world afterall. Then try windows phone 10 when its already available :p

Do you think a lot of iPhone users will make the jump to Windows Phone once W10 rolls out? What would be the advantage of leaving all that the iPhone has to offer, plus all that MS is providing for them? I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
When someone mentioned iTunes, I don't think they meant on phone, I think they mean how terrible it is to use iTunes on desktop.

Desktop's not an issue for me. I still use the old Zune desktop software (which is far superior to iTunes) to manage my music library and I wouldn't have to change that.

afkaboogieman

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been a loyal WP user since it was called Windows Mobile 5.0, and the staunchest Apple hater you can find. I maintain that I will never own an Apple device, because they are overpriced and I don't appreciate the attitude of the company. That being said, any rational person will admit that there aren't many tangible advantages to staying with Windows over Apple. They have top of the line hardware, and infinite 3rd party support for the platform. Spec wise, the only thing Windows can really offer you is a better camera, wireless charging, and more storage GB for your money (or expandability options).

Windows' advantage has always been in its intangibles. The integration of the platform when you tie together multiple MS services... The hundred little experiences that get better over time... The strength of a small, tightly-knit user community. And iPhone and Galaxy users never get stopped and asked "Hey, what kind of phone is that?"

The choice is yours. Right now for US customers there isn't a WP device available that is without some kind of spec compromise. For some people that's a problem. For me, I just ordered my 830 yesterday.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
"I have one word for you: iTunes. That **** is awful."

X-box music is far worse. So bad, in fact, that I have stopped listening to music on my phone altogether.

What? I'll never forget the endless hours I spent sorting through hundreds of music albums on iTunes, manually inputting album artwork, organizing the track listing, and just general headaches.

When I moved over to WP I just threw all my music on Windows Media Player, it got everything sorted out and in order, I put it on my phone with Xbox music and was ready to go. And there was no missing album artwork which is absolutely amazing because itunes is atrocious when it comes to artwork.

If you're talking about Apples music player on their iDevices, they're quite a bit more complicated and more difficult to navigate than Xbox music. Xbox music can be easily navigated with a few swipes and taps, and it never crashes or stutters. When was the last time you used it?

If you're not happy with your Windows Phone then by all means move over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750