Why do so many people say WP is good for first smartphones?

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the recommendation for a good first smartphone is because those that are heavily invested in competing platforms may not be interested in getting a Windows Phone, but new users of smart phones may be willing to adopt Windows Phones.

Also Windows Phones, much like Android, get recommended as first smart phones because of the fact that they are inexpensive and provide a good experience.

But it may also be because Windows Phone is not the platform for the professionals that need to get serious work done or the most customisable.

Comparing it to iOS, iOS has more powerful hardware which allows for some pretty amazing audio applications, in addition to extremely advanced video and other productivity applications as well. Android is much the same with phones like the Note 4 pushing capabilities of what you can do on a smartphone.

Windows Phone may not be cut out to be the daily driver of the "enthusiasts" at least according to some reviewers.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
That is due the lack of flagships that can compete head to head with iphone6 and Samsung galaxy S5 ,also I wonder why Microsoft don't push hard the boundaries by launching apps for audio editing and an kit of apps like stopwatches,audio recorder,etc, windows phone is an very robust platform why not push hard the feet for go by more apps

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have read many reviews about Lumia phones and too often the comment is "great for a first smartphone" or "good for kids." ... Your thoughts...

I see this alongside reviews for ENTRY LEVEL Windows Phones such as the 530. So I take it to mean that the low specs make it ideal as first-timers are less likely to be using a smartphone in the same way as a business or seasoned user.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
First off, the biggest security threat is social engineering. Correct, but social engineering won't plant a Trojan on your device, or marshall your device as a soldier, just waiting for marching orders. I read somewhere, that some small percentage (~10%) of Android devices are infected (mostly older versions, lower cost devices) - that's a large number.

There are idiots - sorry, no better way to describe them - using phones on all the major platforms. From the earliest cellphones capable of polyphonic ringtones it was "I want a free ringtone", and now with smartphones it's "I want a free app". Of course you also have your music, television and movie torrents as well. A Trojan / worm etc downloaded to WinPhone is sandboxed, thus effectively blocked. Can you say the same for Android ?
There is generally no limit on what you can find for *free. Any operating system can be insecure. Any mobile device can be broken into. Some are (much) easier than others.
The ease of access depends on the method being used. Social engineering, for example, can result in a user voluntarily surrendering their login credentials. Two factor authentication helps, but what happens when your recovery questions can be solved by looking at your public Facebook profile? Yes, ID ten T errors.

End of soapbox... There are many differing types of exploits ...

Comments in RED above

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It's for first time smart phone users who still haven't spent much on other ecosystems.

But again, Windows Phone is for everyone who wants a different and smooth experience.

These so-called "experts" that say this are the same people who said Windows Phone 8 was dead on arrival and 2 years after the launch of WP8, Lumia sales are at an all time high even without a flagship.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well that shows that the simple, fluid & elegant UI of windows phone is really easy to use and to be honest most of these so called "techies" probably haven't even jail broken their iphone or rooted an android phone.

To get the best out of an iphone you have to jail break it otherwise there is really no point in buying a smartphone with a 64bit arm soc just to use make calls, text, use social media & take the pictures / videos. Any low end windows phone can do that and last longer than your average iphone.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...most of these so called "techies" probably haven't even jail broken their iphone or rooted an android phone. To get the best out of an iphone you have to jail break it...

I don't know if it's possible to roll my eyes any harder than I did after reading that. No, seriously, I think I sprained my ocular nerve rolling my eyes so hard.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You've misunderstood the statement. The reason people say it is that it's an interface with big, bright icons. It's easy for older people and younger people to grasp and do basic things right away. You don't have to worry about app pages and app drawers, just two screens.

It's not said to mean that the technologically inclined would shun the platform, it's to say that it is a very easy platform to pick up on. You can remove the bloatware without knowing how to root a device, like on Android, which helps grandma avoid mistakenly using data on stuff she doesn't understand. It just has such a simplistic, personalized approach, that you don't need to do as much coaching of a newer smartphone user, as opposed to iOS or Android (particularly the latter, where you have the bloatware and background processes running amok and such).

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It's for first time smart phone users who still haven't spent much on other ecosystems.

But again, Windows Phone is for everyone who wants a different and smooth experience.

These so-called "experts" that say this are the same people who said Windows Phone 8 was dead on arrival and 2 years after the launch of WP8, Lumia sales are at an all time high even without a flagship.
What sales high I heard wp even in low end is being beaten by Chinese android.Is it so ha haaa

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is perfect for everyone, from the people who never had contacts with smartphones and PCs before, to the most advanced users.

The ignorance to this platform and the false believes like "WP sucks and it's difficult" "WP lacks tons of important apps like Whatsapp" (really? Wat? Yes, I heard that not long time ago, blasphemies!), doesn't make a good reputation to the ones who want to buy a good phone.

Seriously, around 3 months passed since I attend this new school (I moved during summer) and my classmates are still asking me "How many mpxl has your Nokia? 42? 85?" "let me see the camera" "try to make a photo" "oh yeah that makes great photos, but it has so few apps..."

petergoogle

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Based on experimenting with family members and friends, WP is the easier to learn. The UI is very clean, minimalist and focusing on readability. iOS is a close 2nd, and Android is the most difficult. (due to the wide range of customization depending on manufacturer)

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Based on experimenting with family members and friends, WP is the easier to learn. The UI is very clean, minimalist and focusing on readability. iOS is a close 2nd, and Android is the most difficult. (due to the wide range of customization depending on manufacturer)

Actually that is mostly incorrect.

iOS and Android and Windows Phone are pretty easy to set up after setting up when your apps from the Play Store they show up on your home screen, on both iOS and Android making it easier for people to reach their favourite apps.

On Windows Phone you no apps are automatically pinned and most people either need to learn how to pin an app or swipe right and always scroll to find it.

Not to mention the complicated mess of Windows Phone that is the settings app, and setting up lock screen notifications is also harder than Android and iOS.

So no Windows Phone isn't easier to use.

There are other reasons why Windows Phone is good for people being introduced to smart phones, but ease of use is definitely not one of them.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This very much depends on what you've already been exposed to. If you're used to the iOS paradigm (or even say WebOS), you might find Windows Phone a little difficult at first. But my mother still doesn't fully Android after using it for three years, jumped to Windows Phone and had it down pat in five minutes. Your argument is really theoretical.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually that is mostly incorrect. Mostly ?

iOS and Android and Windows Phone are pretty easy to set up after setting up when your apps from the Play Store they show up on your home screen, on both iOS and Android making it easier for people to reach their favourite apps. YES, apps DO show up, cluttering up your home screen. EVERY app gets pinned, thus you have to unpin some (much like you have to pin them in Windows Phone)

On Windows Phone you no apps are automatically pinned and most people either need to learn how to pin an app or swipe right and always scroll to find it. INCORRECT - to pin an app, you long press (like a right click) & it shows up on the home screen. Your Start screen has apps on it, when you first setup.

Not to mention the complicated mess of Windows Phone that is the settings app, and setting up lock screen notifications is also harder than Android and iOS. My answer to that, is RTFM. Android settings are somewhat complicated / sophisticated - with the added caveat of conflicting settings breaking your device. iPhone requires some digging to uncover certain settings (or RTFM, as I said before)

So no Windows Phone isn't easier to use.

There are other reasons why Windows Phone is good for people being introduced to smart phones, but ease of use is definitely not one of them. Small use case, but I've seen the ease of use of Windows phone. My wife likes her Windows Phone better than her (old) iPhone. My SiL (not tech savvy) had it down in a half hour.

My reply to your silly assertions in RED (above).
I have to question whether you've actually used a Windows Phone (or just parroting what you read)

Let's go the other way, let's give (a typical) grandma a Samsung Galaxy S5 & let her have at it. YOU can be tech support & field all the questions, configure everything (that should be configured) remotely, over the phone. Sound like FUN ?
Can grandma get into a bigger mess with the SGS5 or a Windows Phone (say a Lumia 830) ?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
This very much depends on what you've already been exposed to. If you're used to the iOS paradigm (or even say WebOS), you might find Windows Phone a little difficult at first. But my mother still doesn't fully Android after using it for three years, jumped to Windows Phone and had it down pat in five minutes. Your argument is really theoretical.

Theoretical is putting it nicely, I call BS on him & very strongly agree with you.

At a friends party, with some of her senior relatives - woman pulls out an SGS4 & starts asking rudimentary questions (how do you do this, how do you do that, etc) about it (after she found out I knew phones). My comment was '...is this NEW ? ...'. Her reply ' ... NO, I've had it for 8 months.'

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Unless you could logically disprove of what I've said you can't call BS. Also I have used Windows Phone devices, I haven't used Samsung devices a whole lot though but Samsung devices do have an "Easy Mode" which essentially makes it easier to use than any other OS out there.

My point was that Windows Phone, may be easy to use, but not as easy to use as you guys make it out to be.

What makes iOS easier than Android and Windows Phone is the fact that it is basically just a sea of icons, of which some are live and the icons arrange automatically by the time you downloaded them. Thing could get more complicated if you got into iOS widgets, but that's another story.

Nonetheless Android works much the same way and when you set up the phone and download applications from the Play Store end up on your homescreen, so that you don't constantly have to go into the app tray. This setup is almost exactly like iOS! Thus easier to use, again if you got into widgets then it would become more complicated but Android doesn't force you to use widgets!

Also you can disable automatic app pinning on home screen from the Play Store, but this is a very helpful feature for less tech savvy individuals.

Windows Phone just an year ago was a terribly clustered OS, and people even then believed it was easier to use and I don't see how.

Windows Phone basically forced you to pin live tiles to your home screen, because if you didn't good luck to receiving notification (as there was no notification centre), also you had to set up notifications for the lock screen(something you don't have to do on android or iOS) and lastly that settings app was a hell of a mess. Not to mention the Windows Phone Store which is a mess compared to the Play Store or iOS store(you can't easy Email a dev, can't easily find other apps the dev has made and the UI just ain't as intuitive).

Since then some progress has been made, a notification centre has been added but still there is no automatic way for app pinning, you still have to set up lock screen notifications and the store still ain't as good.

In fact the UI is so "alien" to people using Android or iOS, or even BlackBerry, that I lended my phone to a friend to text and he couldn't even figure out how to send it on his Windows Phone!(because the "send" button was located at an odd place)

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I disagree, because my first smartphone that set the benchmark on the phones I use today was a blackberry. Blackberry was not a particular choice as a good first smartphone, but It was adaptable; it should be Windows Phone is a good alternative to iOS, android, or blackberry.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
That's just one of those "tags" that seem to stick.

Same as:
iOS is for people wanting premium devices or Android is for people who like to root and customize.

People don't mean anything by it...it's just what they've heard from someone else who has no idea either.

Are you a previous android owner? xD I rooted and customized my old phone all the time xD

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why... I think BlackBerry would be a good starter phone. Then iOS, Then WP, Then Android (For Advanced users or customization freaks like me)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why... I think BlackBerry would be a good starter phone. Then iOS, Then WP, Then Android (For Advanced users or customization freaks like me)

I'd think BlackBerry would be the worst choice for someone new to smartphones. Most apps don't exist in BlackBerry World store. If a user wants any of the popular apps such as Netflix it is necessary to sideload the Android versions. That's not easy for non-technologically inclined persons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion