Why do so many people say WP is good for first smartphones?

barbaro123

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Let me say that I'm going to exaggerate here to make a point. I have read many reviews about Lumia phones and too often the comment is "great for a first smartphone" or "good for kids." Implied is that older or more tech savvy people would not choose WP. I do not understand because I think all kinds of phone users can enjoy WP. Your thoughts...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
That's just one of those "tags" that seem to stick.

Same as:
iOS is for people wanting premium devices or Android is for people who like to root and customize.

People don't mean anything by it...it's just what they've heard from someone else who has no idea either.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
well Windows Phone is good because at first works just great in entry level smartphones, no lags no problems just works and any user at the end just want that their phone works when is needed instead of jump over system errors and lags when try of finish an call and sometimes on Android and an entry to medium level phone gets an long delay between you press the virtual button finish call and the real action of really end the call.

Iphones are just no variety than the 5C-5S-and 6 in two flavors.

going by software

Windows phone have kid corner can set applications , etc even is so good that system that i left the volume set to apps as games and even when i get an notification about an e mail is not shown just sounds the alert of message but do not show up the message or alert, the kid also can not raise up the volume, as i already left set up the volume level that is adequate to my kid. which show up that can keep to my kid safe from get involved in adult things. currently Android and IOS have not implemented an solution built in on OS for that and they need use third party software or phone manufacturer implementations.

part of this is because on windows phone is not manufacturer modifying the User interface, what do you see, thing that on android is just possible on nexus line, but ie samsung uses touchwiz, lg , htc their own implementations of visuals effects etc that end up in giving lower user experience in performance. (lags)

also just the NT architecture is very robust so lags and etc are not present in windows phone and even in devices with 1GHZ processor dual core and 512 ram works flawless, but even in high end ones works amazing plus have more options in higher ends like NFC, QI charge protocols with the flatbed charger by contact in an QI compatible phone gets charged wirelessly etc.

mostly those are the main keys that windows phone works good in an entry level smartphone or can be used by the kids if you set the kids corner

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Because it is! Good for first, second, third, fourth, fifth.........

Seriously though, we all love WP for different reasons. It works, it can be a fully functioning smart phone for many without even needing to add apps (I emphasize CAN), the windows interface is fairly intuitive, and with Windows 8,x OS the gap between PC and phone is even smaller. All of those DO make it a great first phone for someone that may be new to smartphones. Not to mention that for $50 or less you can get a decent reliable smart phone for younger kids that if it gets destroyed you aren't out your next months mortgage payment to replace.

My 2 cents.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree with ajb1965.

People say WP is good for first time smartphone users because it is good for first time smartphone users. This isn't a knock on the operating system; I see it as a great sign that the OS is well built. Let me enumerate some of the reasons why it's a good thing:
  1. It means that the OS is easy to use for first time users = simple & intuitive.
  2. It means that the OS is pretty well set up for use right out of the box.
  3. It means that Microsoft was smart to include so many core OS apps.
  4. It means that it has at least enough functionality to be considered a legitimate smartphone.
  5. It means that it can appeal to a broad age demographic.
  6. It means that people consider it to be a relatively frustration-free experience.

None of these points indicate that it lacks in functionality or "advanced smartphone characteristics." In truth, it does not offer the same experience as Android or iOS, and that means that there are both positive differences and negative differences. The majority of people at the moment clearly believe both iOS and Android are superior operating systems for them, whether this understanding is borne out of knowledge or ignorance. Personally, I have difficulty recommending WP over iOS or Android to most people just because I feel like there will be less problems for them there in the future. There are just less obstacles and roadblocks they will have to traverse, a factor that stems from the ubiquity of those platforms. That doesn't mean WP is any less of an OS, it just means that the lack of market share can create roadblocks for an advanced user that won't exist on a platform like Android simply because there are more people dedicated to removing those roadblocks on that platform.

R2guy

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
When it was time to upgrade my parents to a smartphone I chose to buy them WP handsets. I considered a few factors. I thought they needed something easy to use (wp, ios), something not too expensive since it was off contract and needed two (wp, android), and also a phone that was rugged enough to withstand them possibly dropping it, also taking into account they would mostly take pictures with it, and something with a very easy to use gps that could be used offline. After all factors a Nokia was the perfect choice. (I found both unlocked black and white lumia 920s for about 350 total for both)

I would say that if you could afford an iPhone that it would also be a good first smartphone, but many first smartphones are for teenagers that may not have as much money or people who have had regular phones but decided against spending extra for data plan (cheapskates and/or fiscally responsible). With a cheap android there is a huge drop in experience from cheap phones to high end, whereas WP doesn't seem all that dramatic as the OS is generally smooth. Android may also be too hard to figure out for a novice, making WP the better choice.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think that originated when the differences between iOS/Android and WP were much greater when they are now; if you'd never used a smartphone and picked up a WP device, you'd think it was awesome and technologically advanced. If you'd been using an iOS/Android phone for a while and picked up a WP device, you'd be disappointed at the lacking functionality and apps.

While WP is closer in function and app availability to iOS/Android now than it was then, a reputation like that doesn't go away easily.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Wp is good for non smartphone user because those users never care about appsss.For them wp is good for the app freaks wp is disappointing is.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Don't agree with some opinions, what is the so special application that doesn't be present in WP platform? All the applications that everyday you can use, already are here and others that, are third party ones that works even better than the original, one, the perfect example is YouTube are not official ones but YouTube HD and metro tube works even better than the version for android, is some applications that already doesn't exist but the Blame is of, developers not the platform itself, in terms of usability the developers aren't taking advantage of the eco system consistency and consistent availability of applications for a wide range of systems, a thing that android can't get ensured, also

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
You're making an error in assuming that because people say that, it excludes more tech savvy users.

Windows Phone is a great platform and one of the reasons is because it is so accessible for people not used to smartphones. This doesn't make them its only audience though.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Because if coming ,from Android, they're likely to be disappointed by the simplicity of the interface or the lack of quality apps if coming from IOS.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone is great for a first smartphone :

- more intuitive interface than iPhone, but much less expensive @ the entry level. Compare iPhone 5C to say a Lumia 830 as far as price & functionality. Lumia wins on price & probably draws on functionality.

- more secure than Android (or iPhone) with a noob. Android is relatively (due to it's open source, among other things) insecure. While iPhone is relatively secure, there are more iPhones in the wild, thus a larger target for hackers.

- as opposed to Android, works better on lesser spec'd hardware. Recommending a low spec'd Android to a friend is a good way to lose a friend, not so for a lower spec'd Windows Phone.

- again, because of the relative open-ness of Android, more settings to misconfigure. Imagine a noob playing with Android settings, then something doesn't work, & you're asked to troubleshoot. Or worse, everything works, but it's wide open !

This does NOT exclude Windows Phone higher end devices - my Lumia 1520 ticks all the boxes (almost all, wish it had stylus functionality, that would be sweet).

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It is good for first smartphone users. My mother, who is NOT a tech person outside of turning on a television, picked up her HTC 8X and learned it in about five minutes. But just because it's good for beginners doesn't mean its not good for intermediate or advanced users. It's like saying "I like muffins." Liking muffins doesn't mean I don't like bagels.

Pivotgeeks

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
its been close to a year since i come to Smartphone world, and all my friends had adopted to smartphone long before me, and they all had android..
i don't know how android is now don't care, but at that time, every time i picked up there phone and played with it they felt complex and they laged.. so to me smartphone felt more gimmicky and more of a toy that makes call and text.. but anyway
windows phone was like 10 min for me to learn.. coz of consistency it has across its design, wp is great for biggners, my mom too loves the ease of use
I do hate it when review people look down on us. ohh windows phone is minimal it can't do work blablabla..
at the end of the day there only so much of work you can do on any smartphone os, before you look for actual computers

anon8433722

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
First off, the biggest security threat is social engineering.

There are idiots - sorry, no better way to describe them - using phones on all the major platforms. From the earliest cellphones capable of polyphonic ringtones it was "I want a free ringtone", and now with smartphones it's "I want a free app". Of course you also have your music, television and movie torrents as well. There is generally no limit on what you can find for *free. Any operating system can be insecure. Any mobile device can be broken into. The ease of access depends on the method being used. Social engineering, for example, can result in a user voluntarily surrendering their login credentials. Two factor authentication helps, but what happens when your recovery questions can be solved by looking at your public Facebook profile?

End of soapbox...

Why is Windows Phone good for first-time smartphone owners? For starters, it's a relatively lag-free user experience. It doesn't take much processing power to push a dozen or so live tiles on the start screen. Immediate shortcuts to applications, contacts, and phone functions make using a Windows Phone less daunting. There is a seamless, polished merger of social networks into the People app. Multiple email accounts can be merged into one unified mailbox. Internet Explorer renders pages properly, if the website adheres to actual standards. The app store is simple to navigate and applications that do not work for your device are excluded from search results. If applications do not work for your device, the reason(s) why are noted.

Nokia/Microsoft devices feature a suite of user-friendly, accessible applications that provide the user with a rich experience. Nokia optics on flagships like the 1020 and 1520 produce fantastic imagery. The best camera is the one that you have with you, and these devices prove that. For the low cost of *free, Nokia has/had provided users with impressive camera controls, maps and navigation, a curated app store with featured apps, and unprecedented support after devices are released.

Unlike Apple, there are multiple devices that run the same operating system. Unlike Android, the end-user experience is the same. If you provide a loved one with a Windows Phone, you can easily troubleshoot the device over email, Skype, or on the phone. There aren't modified versions of Windows that are skinned by Samsung, HTC, or LG. And while there is "bloat" - preinstalled applications from the carriers - it can be uninstalled. Uninstalling these apps doesn't prevent you from getting system updates. You don't have to jailbreak or root your phone to accomplish this.

Every Lumia device I have owned - the 900, 920, 1020, and now 635 - have functioned extremely well as a phone. Extremely well. That's something you cannot necessarily say about other devices on competing platforms. This is subjective, I know, and every year companies seem to get increasingly closer to providing a phone that is smart but still works as a phone.

Expandable memory....

On Windows Phone you can install applications, music, and video on a microSD card to free up space on your device. Yes, there are devices that run Windows Phone and have no expandable memory. However, Apple doesn't offer devices with expandable memory. You have to buy a device with higher storage capacity if you want more space. A completely new phone. Android limits app installation to the main memory, but with 5.0 Lollipop it appears that they are relinquishing that hold on external storage. Developers have to program for that, though.

I worked in retail for several years before getting out of business to consumer and moving to business to business sales. I enjoyed working in electronics / video games. I often found myself pushing Nintendo consoles on families with small children because it was a more family-friendly investment. If people likes sports titles, I suggested the Playstation. Granted, there were exceptions to this rule. I would deviate from this technology bias when I wanted to push a Nintendo 64 onto a hardcore gamer, or get a dad with a 10 year-old to buy a Playstation so they could try Gran Turismo 2 multi-player.

People can be technology savvy but have no idea how to manage a smartphone. My father-in-law is an engineer and has problems with his television, computer, and iPhone on a regular basis. Meanwhile, my wife will find herself saying "I know you can do this, but how?" and researching online or asking me questions to find the solution. He enjoys an iPhone and she prefers Android. Would either of them enjoy Windows Phone? Sure.

Sometimes you need to step away from your technology bias and just listen to what you or someone you are helping actually need. Do you use iTunes? Do you have $100's in paid applications from the iOS app store? You probably have a good investment in Apple already so the iPhone is a solid choice. Maybe you are service neutral, and don't have a significant investment in one company (Apple, Google, Microsoft) compared to the other. Maybe Android will work? It's open. How about iPhone - Google apps are available. (As are Yahoo!, Microsoft, etc.) Then you have Windows Phone. You can still do all that. Let's not forget about Blackberry, either. You can run Android apps on those devices.

My opinion has always been this - shop for the network, not the phone. If you pick a phone because it's your everything and the network was secondary, you are probably going to complain about a lack of signal in the areas that matter most. The same rule applies to Windows Phone/Android/iOS. If you want iOS, your option is limited to iPhone. However, you are assured to have a device that will last for years with regular updates. Just don't drop it! Android offers more options, but the lifespan is significantly reduced. User experience is not consistent between devices and hardware/software limitations become evident with each new OS release. Fragmentation is a problem. Windows Phone offers users choices, but with a consistent user experience. With 7.0 and 7.5 devices at the tail end of that generation just before the launch of Windows Phone 8, there was noticeable fragmentation. (Windows 7.8, anyone?)

I think people should have choice - choice in handsets, choice in operating systems. That isn't going to happen anytime soon. Meaning, you couldn't walk out of the Microsoft store with a Lumia 1020 and later decide to forgo Windows Phone for Android with a system update. You couldn't put Windows Phone on a Galaxy S5. iOS won't run on an HTC One. It's a shame. So until a proposition like that comes to fruition, you are left to buy into one ecosystem over another. You can go all in (Apple, Google, Microsoft) or have a mix of the three. Obviously the best experiences for Apple are with the iPhone, Google on Android devices, and Microsoft services run better on Windows Phones. You still have that iOS/Android/Windows Phone wrapper around your experience, regardless of what route you take.

Windows Phone is a good first choice for a new smartphone user, the jaded smartphone user looking for something different, the budget conscious user that wants to incorporate modern technology into their workflow, and the business person that wants to keep work and home life separate. Side note: I'm coming from a year of iOS and brieft stints on a OnePlus, LG G3, and a Nexus 5. I picked up a Lumia 635 on Monday. It's probably the best device I've owned in the last year.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Let me say that I'm going to exaggerate here to make a point. I have read many reviews about Lumia phones and too often the comment is "great for a first smartphone" or "good for kids." Implied is that older or more tech savvy people would not choose WP. I do not understand because I think all kinds of phone users can enjoy WP. Your thoughts...

Pretty straightforward and I really don't see why is still requires an explanation. That is the market sector Microsoft is specifically targeting so you will always see the comment. There is minimal potential for growth particularly in the US market among those who already own phones. Study upon study has demonstrated people are comfortable with what they own. Therefore, you target first time buyers and for a first time buyer it is about as user friendly as things get - big tiles that say exactly what they do and an OS that really requires no customization to just use. It is then on a bunch of cheap to mid priced devices. There is nothing insulting or perplexing about the comment. It is a good choice for new users because it is supposed to be so. Doesn't disqualify people who already own smartphones, but in comparison to either of the other platforms, if you don't want/feel the need to wander around settings or (with Android) do various customizations or live with clumsy/sluggish/buggy launchers, you turn it on, set up an account by prompts, and then use it....

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
my reasons
wp has very few functionality compared to ios and android so a user can have a better experience of a smartphone when they switch platform.
As for children my opinion,they get attracted for bright colors( present in WP start screen.) and also with live tiles.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism