Why is Microsoft paying so much attention to the US?

harshlumia520

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is giving importance to US when they have a bad reputation there and a very small amount of people use windows phone there. They could look at the rest of the world where they are considered a great software and hardware maker.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The only way they'll make real money...you wont if you sell to tiny islands,third world countries.you have to go after the biggest ones

Xavier2508

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Last time I checked Europe does not consist of tiny third world islands, but most countries here still get second rate treatment by MS: Cortana, most additional Bing features, physical Microsoft stores, a language policy that works in multilingual countries and many other things, all missing.
I can only imagine how bad the situation must be in actual tiny third world island nations...

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Right now I think Windows Phone is focused on the 2 major markets they need to catch fire and burn like a California wild fire, China and USA.
India will more then likely sit third ahead of Canada.

So I am not sure what the OP is on about, as I am Canadian, so don't I feel special to be thought of after India.

However I realize it's a numbers game right now, they Need China and India to start to push numbers in what they call "Developing Markets", places where Feature Phones are king and smartphones are still a new idea.

However they have to focus on USA and try to shake the Apple/Google tree and shake a few users loose.

The need to sell the High end phones in the Market where a High end phones make the most profit.

As a rule a phone like the Lumia 1020 will sell in USA, but not at all well in China and India.

Just sit back and wait your turn...it will come, trust me I know.....many in Third world countries had Cyan firmware before Canada.

But I'm a Windows Phone...I'm used to being treated like a Red Headed Step Child :smile:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It seems obvious. The markets where the product does poorly need more attention than where the product is doing well. If you have a nail stuck in your foot, do you focus on your hairstyle or do you try to get the nail out and treat the infection?

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It seems obvious. The markets where the product does poorly need more attention than where the product is doing well. If you have a nail stuck in your foot, do you focus on your hairstyle or do you try to get the nail out and treat the infection?

It's more like If you have a small nail in your hands and a large nail in your foot. Do you get rid of the larger one first or the smaller one?

ReconVirus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's there home market... Why does everyone always try to bring this up? Canadians haven't really or from what I have seen. And they are literally right next door. In my opinion Canada would have a lot more say so over Europe seeing how they get treated far worse.

Stay strong my fellow Canadian people! :')

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It really is a matter of Microsoft trying hard in their home market. Microsoft is a publicly traded company, a lot of their stockholders are Americans, and they gotta look good for them.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Stay strong my fellow Canadian people! :')

I don't mind truly, but it looks as if the UK will get Cortana (British Version), before Canada gets.

What's worse is some of the features available in the US version do not work in the UK release (see reviews of UK Cortana on YouTube).

So some things follow a path, as other things seem scatter shot no set direction at all.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand a thing,watching the answers, defending to Microsoft and their policy of sales, USA is not the whole world,is a tiny portion of the market,was wondering if we want spread windows phone platform how they would do once the market in the united states of the smartphone gets saturated where will Microsoft ,

Need to also focus Into Europe and the southern hemisphere also,in fact in a quick fact the Chilean market have 22,000,000 millions of cellphone activated versus landphones that are only 3,000,000 even from Argentina comes to do tech tourism,they purchase here smartphones and etc even paying the taxes of enter the device to Argentina and Brazil to they is more cheaper than purchasing the same phone in their respective countries.

Looks like Microsoft does not have a good statistics for their mobile market

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
because their HQ is in US, duh....

So, MS should focus on Windows primarily in the US. Sell Office primarily in the US. Make Surface Pros available only to the US... Hm, yes, that's good business sense.

Can't see MS surviving with that sort of business model.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
How can someone even make such a baseless remark? "So much importance to US"

Did you know that the new Lumia devices all launched OUTSIDE of the US? The 830 only just recently showed up at AT&T, and the 730 still isn't here yet!

Did you know we never got the Lumia 930? Nope, we got the Lumia Icon exclusive to Verizon - leaving out a whole lot of potential buyers.

Did you see they just launched their newest affordable phone OUTSIDE of the US?

What the heck are you even talking about?

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I was about to say... I can't get any of the phones I want in the USA. I just want a 735 or 535 sold at the Microsoft store...But no, Microsoft rather focuses on India and Asia... We're definitely getting the short end of the stick here, even Canada ends up getting phones sooner than we do in the USA. Why in the world is it so difficult to just sell unlocked phones here? Just sell everything you got in your own stores Microsoft!....people would buy it.

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I was about to say... I can't get any of the phones I want in the USA. I just want a 735 or 535 sold at the Microsoft store...But no, Microsoft rather focuses on India and Asia... We're definitely getting the short end of the stick here, even Canada ends up getting phones sooner than we do in the USA. Why in the world is it so difficult to just sell unlocked phones here? Just sell everything you got in your own stores Microsoft!....people would buy it.

I wouldn't go that far. Canada did recently receive a couple Lumia models but before that we had 1 or 2 at the low end and the 1020. Never had the 930/ICON and we've been told we wont even get the 1520. So Canada isn't in that great of a spot either. I certainly hope when Windows 10 is released we'll see more variety up here as well, especially Flagship phones.

All of that being said, North America isn't the largest market out there, India, China and the like are. So it is understandable that they would put some focus on other parts of the world besides the US.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Couple of facts, the countries with the most people, China, India, USA , Indonesia, and Brazil will have the most phone users. Got to push in those countries.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
In the USA I could only buy the Volvo C30 with 1 choice of engine
in contrast to the rest of the world which had anywhere from 2 to 10 choices of engines
Oh well :straight:.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To put the OP into perspective, windows phone's % may be small in the US compared to the other countries however the pie (population) is much larger in the US therefore there are more windows phone users in the US..

Never the less like others have posted, most of the Lumia models have been released outside of the US. Which does make me wonder what happened to the 830 variants that were leaked not too long ago??

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So, MS should focus on Windows primarily in the US. Sell Office primarily in the US. Make Surface Pros available only to the US... Hm, yes, that's good business sense.

Can't see MS surviving with that sort of business model.

it said importance, Microsoft give lots of effort to US because it is easier to publish product, but some of them are not, lumia 730,535 haven't show up in US....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3