EU recommends Google breakup

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
So it begins again. You could say how Google treats the window phone community by refusing to support it with apps is an example of them welding power to suppress others.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
While what you say is true, this will never happen. Even if it might need to.(not saying one way or the other). I have a better chance of being the next Pope than they have of breaking up Google. The US would never stand for it, and most of the rest of the planet would be against it also.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The EU is a powerful economic force it can impose plenty of things that would make Google's life difficult and it has already with its take downs. Do not underestimate it's power.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The EU is a powerful economic force it can impose plenty of things that would make Google's life difficult and it has already with its take downs. Do not underestimate it's power.

Won't make a blind bit of difference. How will the EU stop people accessing google.co.uk / fr /de / es / se etc? Even if the EU could, people will just start going to google.com.

There is nothing the EU can do. Google provides an electronic service, there is nothing tangible for the EU embargo.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Won't make a blind bit of difference. How will the EU stop people accessing google.co.uk / fr /de / es / se etc? Even if the EU could, people will just start going to google.com.

There is nothing the EU can do. Google provides an electronic service, there is nothing tangible for the EU embargo.

EU ISPs can easily block Google and their online services, e.g Google Play or GMail. No practical way around a block for average Google consumers

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

If Google wants to operate within the EU it will have to play by the EU rules fact of life. The EU can do plenty of things if they choose too. The internet is just a series of doors they will just close a few and although some people could just to go around them most would not have a clue. It would never come to that but they certainly can expect something along the lines of the EU Browser choice and the fines Microsoft had to pay when it was breached.

Of course what Google would care about most though is the revenue they would lose as that is standard business and dodging some taxes in one EU country or another they still sell services within the EU.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
2 things.....

1) we've already got a thread on this http://forums.windowscentral.com/off-topic-lounge/324594-eu-preparing-call-breakup-google.html

2) this was only the EU parliament, which can't physically break them up. This was only a guideline that the parliament can send to the EU Commission, who has the bulk of authority.

1. To your fist point I posted this first and to my knowledge the crystal ball was out of batteries at the time, your post being that they might call for this mine being that they did. Small point but a different one.
2. To your second point I never said they would break them up I said "recommend" which is basically what the EU parliament does and now means the commission will now doubt look at this in more detail.
3. Thirdly, My point was none of the above as I hoping that what may come out of it is Google would be forced to play fairer across platforms which as a WP I do not believe they are to date.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So it begins again. You could say how Google treats the window phone community by refusing to support it with apps is an example of them welding power to suppress others.

The use of breakup in the article implies something that is not true. They did not recommend a breakup of Google in the sense of the US breaking up Standard Oil or AT&T, but a splitting off of one business unit which runs the search engine. Quite frankly, Google would meet that goal without ever selling it off. This is also just a move in a global economic chess game designed to get Google to the anti trust table with a counter proposal that would relax their hold on the internet search market in Europe. In the end, it is no different than the process that got Microsoft to release EU versions of Windows to increase browser competition.

As to the claim the US would never allow this to happen, I hate to disappoint both the US crowd and people in Europe but you real should ponder economic and political realties. Yes, the EU trade commission can proceed with this and the US would not intervene. That is the part certain people in the country will not like. As for what EU residents do not want to here, it is almost a certainty the EU would not move this forward without tacit agreement from the US government. The fact is one of the ideas behind the EU has never worked. It has not leveled the economic and political playing fields such that European countries are on an equal level with the US. In terms of world power, the EU falls well behind the US, China, Russia, and at least one EU country that operates more and more outside the EU umbrella (Germany). Even Japan which is hardly the economic superpower it was twenty years ago, would probably round out the top five in influence before the EU proper.

With respect to this meaning anything for WP apps, I am sorry but that is beyond reaching. There is no connection at all and it seems only people here still refuse to recognize that personal concepts of fairness have nothing to do with business. No one is compelled to make any apps for any platform and that will not change. Quite frankly, in the real world the situation isn't even unfair. If you want an app that is only available on another platform, move on. switch to that platform, and stop whining as if any company owes you anything. The most you might see out of any agreement is Google stopping their practice of messing with APIs which impedes third party app development. That, however, will not come out of this situation - if it ever happens, it will be through agencies and/or courts in the US....

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
To the OP.....

Should this not go in a Google related section or over at Android Central?

It's a bit like moaning about a Dodge Charger in a Ford Mustang forum.

Sorry but I just can't even fake interest in anything that happens to google.

No google apps on Windows Phone......good, I don't need them.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
If I was Eric Schmidt I would arrange for all Google services to be suspended for 2 weeks prior to elections for every EU nation actively participating in this. Show voters what their elected reps are doing for them!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If I was Eric Schmidt I would arrange for all Google services to be suspended for 2 weeks prior to elections for every EU nation actively participating in this. Show voters what their elected reps are doing for them

Lol yeah, that'll show EU that Google isn't too powerful.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
And a professor, public speaker and huge advocate of net neutrality and freedom of the web

I don't see how him being a public speak in any way validates his claims.

Nor do I see how being for net neutrality has anything to do his claims.

His "freedom of choice" also stems to him condemning the EU's right to be forgotten law, which he doesn't like because he keeps seeing things as an American who doesn't understand European culture.

But ok, I guess we should believe him.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't see how him being a public speak in any way validates his claims.

Nor do I see how being for net neutrality has anything to do his claims.

Neither do they invalidate them. The only thing you were interested in doing earlier was to chirp in for no other reason than to attempt to discredit him because writes positive articles about Google. Gimme a break. Yeah, Jarvis is a paid shill, someone pass me my tinfoil hat!

Lol.

Here's what he actually did say about the right to be forgotten:

"A far worse impingement of free speech comes with the right to be forgotten, another newly invented principle that has been espoused by European politicians and brought to reality by a European court. The decision tramples on others? right to remember. As news organizations are all too quickly learning when links to their work disappear, the right to be forgotten also impinges on the right to free speech and a free press. Shouldn?t Europe of any place on earth be wary of attempts to rewrite history, to control knowledge, to allow powerful institutions ? whether governments or corporations ? to decree what must not be known? Shouldn?t the real lesson of our public embarrassments online be that we all make mistakes and we need to learn to be more tolerant of others?"

/drop mic

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3