My mobile OS market share predictions for the next 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Very few people are visionary enough to foresee any of the disruptive technologies before they actually came to market. How many were visionary enough to imagine the telephone before it replaced the telegraph? How many imagined the pocket calculator before it replaced their fingers? How many envisioned the potential of the CD before it arrived? How many people here had the imagination and technical smarts to envision something like an iPhone (with all the things that made it the success it became) before 2007. Nobody. We could easily list a hundred more examples if we wanted to. In hindsight these things all seem obvious, but that's always true of any good idea.

These are obviously extreme examples of disruptive technologies, but MS doesn't need that level of disruption. Two or three smaller ones will do fine.

Microsoft needs a monstrous disruption to even make a dent in the incumbents. A couple of small innovations wont do anything. There are hundreds of millions of ios and android users already entrenched in their ecosystems and new smartphone users are aspiring to join one of those, not Microsoft's platforms. And not only does Microsoft have to come up with something game changing they also have to market it, support it and manage it properly. From the evidence of the last 4 years Microsoft has shown no capability of being able to pull that off.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The scenario in the original post is simply a wish by the poster, nothing more. I doubt whether he actually thinks it will happen. But yet it is possible.

The chances of anything close to that happening are slim to none, but you never know. There was a thread on here not long ago comparing the IDC's predictions today from several years ago, and also comparing their predictions from several years ago to reality today. Nobody knows (or has any kind of a clue actually!).

There are videos all over the web of Steve Ballmer laughing at the iPhone and Android, while at the time Windows Mobile was basking in a 40% market share in the US. Now who's laughing? However, the current situation could reverse in a few short years.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs a monstrous disruption to even make a dent in the incumbents. A couple of small innovations wont do anything. There are hundreds of millions of ios and android users already entrenched in their ecosystems and new smartphone users are aspiring to join one of those, not Microsoft's platforms. And not only does Microsoft have to come up with something game changing they also have to market it, support it and manage it properly. From the evidence of the last 4 years Microsoft has shown no capability of being able to pull that off.
I somewhat disagree that MS is as incompetent as you make them out to be (maybe with the exception of marketing and their reluctance to communicate a vision). Most of their problems are not a result of incompetence, but a result of their weak market position, which allows carriers and competitors to trample all over them. If you were an executive at MS you'd have fared no better, and we'd now all be calling you incompetent. I wouldn't agree with that either. The fact is consumer demand must come first, and until that happens, the economic and legal environment will stay unchanged. That's an obstacle MS can't overcome until a lot more consumers decide WP is worth giving a try.

As for everything else, yes, I hear ya. I think we just have different definitions of what a monstrous disruption is. IMHO not even the iPhone would qualify for that. Monstrous disruptions are those technologies/ideas which singlehandedly bring into existence a whole new market that did not exist before, like the introduction of the personal computer, the privately owned automobile, the radio, or the internet. However I agree that MS needs more than just a few small innovations, assuming "small" means "non-disruptive". Disruptive means what I've been saying all along. Something that is unique to WP, which many find desirable enough to look past the app gap. That doesn't need to be a single thing, but at least a few things that in combination have the same affect on enough people.

The only way that can be considered impossible is due to a lack of imagination. I'm not saying this will happen, but in no way is it impossible. MS still has a few things they are uniquely positioned to latch on to, but so far haven't. Cloud gaming with XBOX tie-in, deep integration of WP within the enterprise, and the long expected integration between Windows, Xbox and WP are just some examples. That is all relatively low hanging fruit. In combination I'd consider those more than disruptive enough... and there is more...

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
^Exactly. The sad part about Microsoft's market position is that they have made many innovations to the smartphone landscape since releasing Windows Phone 7 in 2010. Unfortunately, many people first saw these innovations on Android and iPhone handsets later and weren't aware that Microsoft invented them.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I somewhat disagree that MS is as incompetent as you make them out to be (maybe with the exception of marketing and their reluctance to communicate a vision). Most of their problems are not a result of incompetence, but a result of their weak market position, which allows carriers and competitors to trample all over them. If you were an executive at MS you'd have fared no better, and we'd now all be calling you incompetent. I wouldn't agree with that either. The fact is consumer demand must come first, and until that happens, the economic and legal environment will stay unchanged. That's an obstacle MS can't overcome until a lot more consumers decide WP is worth giving a try.

As for everything else, yes, I hear ya. I think we just have different definitions of what a monstrous disruption is. IMHO not even the iPhone would qualify for that. Monstrous disruptions are those technologies/ideas which singlehandedly bring into existence a whole new market that did not exist before, like the introduction of the personal computer, the personal automobile, the radio, or the internet. I also agree that MS needs more than just few small innovations, assuming "small" means "non-disruptive". Disruptive means what I've been saying all along. Something that is unique to WP, which many find desirable enough to look past the app gap. That doesn't need to be a single thing, but at least a few things that in combination have the same affect on enough people.

The only way that can be considered impossible is due to a lack of imagination. I'm not saying this will happen, but in no way is it impossible. MS still has a few things they are uniquely positioned to latch on to, but so far haven't. Cloud gaming with XBOX tie-in, deep integration of WP within the enterprise, and the long expected integration between Windows, Xbox and WP are just some examples. That is all relatively low hanging fruit. In combination I'd consider those more than disruptive enough... and there is more...

As always, you have some good points. However, I still disagree especially on the premise that Microsoft is not incompetent. I don't think their poor marketing should be excluded as an example of their incompetence, after all that has been one of apple's biggest weapons and is a key skill to master in today's marketing driven world. Apple's marketing was able to help Mac sales with their PC vs Mac ads and of course when the iphone launched marketing played a key role in generating iphone sales even when it was technically less advanced and capable than competing platforms like BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and Palm. Why is it, with all the billions Microsoft makes they are incapable of marketing WP effectively? In fact the norm seems to be now that Microsoft adds a truly unique feature to WP but fails to market it but a competitor picks up the feature and is able to market it as if they invented it and get credit for it. If that's not incompetence, what is?

As to your point about WP's market position I'm not sure that hinders Microsoft in their in-house development efforts or how they market the product, in fact its their inability to effectively market WP that has lead to their poor marketshare. After all, if no one knows about the product, how will they buy it? And when people eventually get their hands on it and find it lacks expected features, who's to blame for that?

Looking at WP itself, back when it was launched it was so lacking in features it didn't have copy and paste. How could a company like Microsoft who has been in the software business for as long as they have launch such a barebones product, missing the exact same feature that its main competitor, the iphone was mocked for so long for missing and also considering the state of the two major platforms at that time? They launched a product that should at least have been competitive as they had the benefit of launching after the other 2 and could see what gaps needed to be filled from both platforms but instead they launched something that was behind even the crippled iphone on release. Ever since then WP has been playing catch-up and now seems to be forever stuck in the rear view mirrors of ios and android. 7.5 Mango, 7.8. 8.0, 8.1 all still lack functionality compared to ios and android. That's incompetent.

As for how big a disruption Microsoft would need to get people interested in WP, consider the marketshare and more importantly mindshare that ios and android have and you realize that it has to be something big to get peoples attention. Ask the average man on the street what platforms they know and they'll probably tell you the iphone and Samsung galaxy, and while those are not strictly platforms it shows how much mindshare apple and android have. How is Microsoft going to enter that conversation, that will have people notice them for more than 5 minutes and have the millions of ios, android and new smartphone users considering them as a legitimate smartphone choice? Remember they have to overcome the lack of apps, stupid carrier exclusivity, poor international bing services. I'm not sure anything less than a game changing innovation would be enough to counter all the things currently going against WP.

And I don't think Microsoft is capable of such creativity and focus. Its important to note that the current WP team has been in place since its launch so how can we expect them to suddenly reverse all the poor decisions that have been made to date and come out with something amazing? WP is a very good, fresh, unique operating system but who made the decision not to allow full resolution pictures to be sent by email? Who decided a business phone should omit the ability to directly attach business related documents like office files, even after they added file explorer access? Who said, don't let users set their IE homepage, or set a default media application, or not add smart dialing? These are all things that should be technically possible but for some reason it was decided not to add such needed functionality but instead add fluff like transparent tiles, and as long as the people who made these decisions are still the ones calling the shots then I don't see anything changing.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Who decided a business phone should omit the ability to directly attach business related documents like office files, even after they added file explorer access?

The same Einstein who implemented the same policy on the iPhone. If it wasn't for the Mail Plus app, I seriously doubt I'd be on WP. An enterprise-class device must have this function baked in as well as Windows Mobile's network file sharing. I can sort of understand the reasoning behind emailing photos as a lower res file because with today's uber-pixel shooters, 2 or 3 pictures can easily surpass most email servers' limit (usually 10mb). I guess they figure a OneDrive link is easier to email.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Happy Dreaming!!! Thought you somehow left your iPhone & Android phone locked in the drawer while Windows Phone was only out there for next few years !!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If apps were less important to users of the other two platforms would they be the leaders?

Lots of concern about "market share" doesn't mean much.
The real deal is "am I happy for the money spent?"

If you are are pleased with a device that serves your needs for a disposable cost then the target has been hit.
Of course the app-centric attitude is causing damage to the MM device market.
My opinion is that this will wane eventually and Microsoft is banking on it.

Goes without saying time will tell.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
From an Indian point of view, @crise's speculations could happen. Before 2011, very few in India cared or bothered about Android or Samsung; for most of us Indians, mobile phone meant Nokia. But from 2011 onwards, Android rapidly gained market share, coinciding with the astonishing free fall of Nokia's market share. Today, Android's market share in India is 81%, with Samsung accounting for 38% of all Android phone sales.

So, anything is possible.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I kind of have the feeling that you are underestimating Google's / Apple's innovation departments. If they were to not develop their ecosystems further over the next 10 years, I might potentially agree with some of your estimates, but that is likely not going to happen.
Android maybe, apple not really. They have never really been known for innovation. The tech already existed for modern smartphones they simply took a big gamble and took a loss on the first ones knowing they would recover it most likely later on. They have one hell of a pr and advertising departments, but innovation not so much.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe only iOS will be there after 2024.all os would have packed their bags including android.That is because apple would have bought all the big companies .
Now you are bordering delerious. Apple could never buy ms they wouldn't know what to do. They are by no means an enterprise company. Consumer software and fun toys yes, serious enterprise software not in the least.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There already is a huge disruption coming up. Windows 10.

The line between PC and phone will be blurred.

Most people will have PCs. They don't need to be convinced of the need to have a PC.

WP will just be a PC with a mobile interface.

I really would not be surprised if the next big thing that completely shakes up the market is that some people will have their phones replace their PCs completely. They will have docking stations at home that they just put their phones in and... BAM! You now have a fully functional computer with large screen and keyboard. Then if you need to get up and go just take your phone out of the docking station and pretty much take your PC with you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There already is a huge disruption coming up. Windows 10.

The line between PC and phone will be blurred.

Most people will have PCs. They don't need to be convinced of the need to have a PC.

WP will just be a PC with a mobile interface.

I really would not be surprised if the next big thing that completely shakes up the market is that some people will have their phones replace their PCs completely. They will have docking stations at home that they just put their phones in and... BAM! You now have a fully functional computer with large screen and keyboard. Then if you need to get up and go just take your phone out of the docking station and pretty much take your PC with you.

Been tried repeatedly with little success. Foleo, Moto Lapdock and now the Asus rig. Desktops will not be ditched any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss