I'd love to use Xbox Video, but...

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Its doesn't have the movies I want!

There is plenty of choice when it comes to movie streaming services; Netflix, Now TV, Amazon Prime/Instant Video etc etc.

But when it comes to actually buying and owning movies digitally, that's where choosing gets tricky.
Xbox Video seems like the best choice to me since I have a Windows Phone, Surface Pro 3 and an Xbox One. Perfect, I can buy movies, watch them and pick up where I left off on all my devices and even download to surface and phone. The only problem is... The movies I want to buy, Xbox Video doesn't have...
Alternative providers such as Amazon and Blinkbox provide all the movies I want but without the seamless experience.

Unfortunately, as good as the Xbox Video service is, if it doesn't have the movies I want, then I simply wont be using it. Its a shame.

I'm starting to see a similar situation with Xbox Music. Some of the songs I want to stream are becoming unavailable: "This album is no longer available in our catalogue at the request of the copyright holder."

This really is a shame and obviously a huge flaw in Microsoft's media services, as such it forces me to use other services.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Thoughts on what is happening and how it can be fixed?

P.S. Suggestions for good legitimate movie download services in the UK would be appreciated. I'm currently looking at Amazon and Blinkbox. Amazon wont allow downloads on anything but kindles and ipads, and Blinkbox is in a transitional period due to suggestions it will be getting sold off by Tesco.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been looking at Xbox Video, when it comes to music I can listen to an album over and over again, and over the years have had big collections, vinyl, CD's and now Xbox Music with some of my CD's making up a third or so of my collection.

With films, there are very few you can watch that often (For me anyway), Zulu, Groundhog Day, The Hunt For Red October, the original Get Carter.

So I actually own about three DVD's (All music), I think my wife has a few crap ones probably borrowed from her sisters.

I have Netflix and if it wasn't for my boy using it, it probably wouldn't get enough use to justify it (Especially with the limited choice of films available in the UK).

But I have been looking at what's available in Xbox Video and if you go off the main pages there is a decent amount of choice, I have to say it would be better if prices where 25% less and there was a way to share the viewing to family.

How many of you regularly buy films/TV and how much use do you get from the system?

I did buy Groundhog Day to test it :smile:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never bought a DVD nor do I buy movie downloads.

Even before Netflix which I have, I rented movies from video stores but never bought any. I probably would have only bought movies if I had kids, since they watch the same ones over and over when they're little.

I just stream my Netflix now, but the selection in the US is good.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have purchased a few from many different services like iTunes and Xbox Video. While most work well, its always the little things that get ya. With iTunes, you can buy a movie and have it available to stream, download it to your idevices and keep a copy on your computer. However, its only available with idevices and if the copyright holder decided to pull it, and you haven't downloaded it, your video is gone.

Xbox Video is the same way with even more restrictions(in my opinion). While you can download iTunes purchases as many times as you need to if its available, Xbox Video only lets you download it 5 times and then you are out of luck.

I'm about 90% streaming now through Netflix and Hulu with an over the air antenna for the broadcast channels. If I want to buy a DVD, ill head down to the used DVD store and get it there. Ill then rip it and tag it with all the meta data. I then back it up to my unlimited OneDrive storage to make it available wherever I can access the internet. This gives me a copy with no DRM and I can tweak it to work across all my devices at the best quality available.

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just downloaded a torrent file/movie. How can I install it on my Xbox Video App??

Do I have to install it on each device (ex: Lumia 1520 and Surface Pro 3)? Or can I have it on OneDrive and have the individual Xbox Video Apps access it from there?

Ultimately, I would like to open the Xbox Video app on any device and have any movie I download (torrent files)show up just like the movies I have purchased on Xbox Video.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It’s laughable that people mention Netflix while saying Xbox Video has a lack of titles. The truth is exactly the opposite. Just about every movie I’ve ever searched for is on Xbox Video. Netflix on the other hand keeps having less and less all the time. I often have to search for 10+ titles on Netflix before I find something that I actually want to see. I still keep Netflix just for a few tv shows they have, but I’m on the edge and wanting to jump ship.

My only real concern with Xbox Video is the limitation of HD. I’ve purchased a few dozen movies and some TV shows. But HD is now on its way out. Will the service ever support 4K? Should I waste my time buying HD or wait for better? The other question is 3D movies. I’m not a huge fan of 3D, but there are some things I’ve seen in 3D that should always be seen in 3D.

Overall, I love Xbox Video. They just need to keep up with the times. But I do love the fact that I can buy and own a movie. I can watch, download or stream it wherever and whenever I want. I don’t have to be subject to Netflix and what they decide to carry at that particular point in time.

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Kev,

Have you tried to watch or add a downloaded movie onto your Xbox drive?

Sorry, just trying to get my question answered above your post 😊.

By the way...I agree with your comments when comparing to Netflix...pretty laughable indeed!

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Kev,

Have you tried to watch or add a downloaded movie onto your Xbox drive?

Sorry, just trying to get my question answered above your post ��.

By the way...I agree with your comments when comparing to Netflix...pretty laughable indeed!
Back when my Xbox was working, I was able to download my movies. (My power cable broke, It'll run now for 6-20 minutes before the power cable gets an orange light) Anyway, I mostly watch on my PC or surface pro. I have all my movies downloaded on my pc. I just love the service because instead of buying blu-rays, I can buy on xbox. This is better because I can stream any movie I've purchased anywhere on any device I own. If i'm stuck somewhere I could even watch a movie streaming on my phone. You can't do that with blu-rays, and you can't really do that with downloads (unless you put them all on onedrive but even then it's not really as nice).

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It?s laughable that people mention Netflix while saying Xbox Video has a lack of titles. The truth is exactly the opposite. Just about every movie I?ve ever searched for is on Xbox Video. Netflix on the other hand keeps having less and less all the time. I often have to search for 10+ titles on Netflix before I find something that I actually want to see. I still keep Netflix just for a few tv shows they have, but I?m on the edge and wanting to jump ship.

My only real concern with Xbox Video is the limitation of HD. I?ve purchased a few dozen movies and some TV shows. But HD is now on its way out. Will the service ever support 4K? Should I waste my time buying HD or wait for better? The other question is 3D movies. I?m not a huge fan of 3D, but there are some things I?ve seen in 3D that should always be seen in 3D.

Overall, I love Xbox Video. They just need to keep up with the times. But I do love the fact that I can buy and own a movie. I can watch, download or stream it wherever and whenever I want. I don?t have to be subject to Netflix and what they decide to carry at that particular point in time.

HD is NOT on it's way out. Lol. You can still stream/rent/buy SD options, what makes you think 1080p will suddenly disappear or become unplayable?

Not many people own 4k TV's. Broadcast wont move beyond 1080p for years. How long has it taken them to get everything to HD? I don't even think all my local news feeds are actually shot with HD camera's. Some channels are even 720p only. We don't even have all channels on 1080p yet.

This industry moves SLOW.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
HD is NOT on it's way out. Lol. You can still stream/rent/buy SD options, what makes you think 1080p will suddenly disappear or become unplayable?

Not many people own 4k TV's. Broadcast wont move beyond 1080p for years. How long has it taken them to get everything to HD? I don't even think all my local news feeds are actually shot with HD camera's. Some channels are even 720p only. We don't even have all channels on 1080p yet.

This industry moves SLOW.

4K is getting way more popular. And I never said HD was HD was about to go away quickly. My point is that as a buyer of content, I don't want to have to rebuy everything in 4k at some point. That's not to say my HD videos won't play, but when I want to buy a film, I want the best quality. If I get a 4k tv (which will probably be soon), I don't want to be stuck with only HD content. Almost all films are shot at 4K+ quality. A lot of modern TV shows can also be 4k quality. House of cards, Breaking Bad and many others are shot at 4k. The industry is a lot further along than you think, the only real problem now is how to deliver the content, but even that has been mostly solved. So please don't sit there and tell Microsoft to only sell me HD when I want 4K. If you're blind to the difference than go get some glasses.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The industry is slow, I'm well aware. It's the delivery that is slow to adopt, and that wont change. It took broadcast years to adopt HD. They aren't going to suddenly move to 4k. Obviously, Bluray and streaming are around the corner. That is far from the entire industry. 4k TV's are still extremely niche.

You're always going to be worried about having better quality, until we get lossless video. You'll never see that day. Lol

Bluray is not even the normal. I know plenty of people with PS3/4 who still rent DVD's.

Last edited:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The industry is slow, I'm well aware. It's the delivery that is slow to adopt, and that wont change. It took broadcast years to adopt HD. They aren't going to suddenly move to 4k. Obviously, Bluray and streaming are around the corner. That is far from the entire industry. 4k TV's are still extremely niche.

You're always going to be worried about having better quality, until we get lossless video. You'll never see that day. Lol

Bluray is not even the normal. I know plenty of people with PS3/4 who still rent DVD's.

FYI, the industry is only slow when you are talking about old media. They have to upgrade all kinds of equipment. But tech media like Netflix, YouTube and others already do 4K streaming. It's here and you can do it, which is why Xbox needs to get on top of the game. They could even have an option for people who have slower internet connections where it can download to the disk before playback. This really needs to happen regardless of your thoughts on the industry. 4K is here, it's already streaming and 4k+ TV's are on sale everywhere you can buy a set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes