How can Windows Phone win?

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched to Cricket Wireless. When signing new lines up, I was faced with a choice.

Nokia Lumia 635 (free) or a Moto G ($25)
The front-facing camera, HD display, and full GB of RAM was worth the extra $25 IMO.

Now Indians are faced with an even tougher choice. Launching this month on Amazon India are the:

Lumia 638 ($131) and MicroMax Yureka ($142).

Yureka Specifications

5.5-inch 720p display
1.5GHz octa-core 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 w/ LTE radio
2 GB RAM, 16 GB internal memory
2,500 mAh battery.
13 MP camera at the back with LED flash
5 MP front-facing camera
running the frequently updated and supported CyanogenMod

Lumia 638 Specifications

Display: 4.5" FWGA display, ClearBlack LCD
Processor: 1.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 w/ LTE
Camera: 5MP AF
Battery: 1830 mAh
Memory: 1GB RAM
Storage: 8GB internal storage, expandable up to 128GB
*5 GB of data that expire in two months

The difference in cost is $11. Both launch this week.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately your comparison will probably fall on deaf ears. The fan base here has gotten quite hostile with regards to be people using specs as a means of justifying price of getting Android over WP.

MS and WP has had an opportunity to 'win', whatever that means, but they continue to stuff it up. So don't expect miracles.

I expect impeding irrationality for why 638 is better than the other phones.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
A shame. Would have been nice to hear from Indians that Microsoft offers incredible sales on Amazon, and that the MSRP is rarely what's charged to the consumer.

Also, it wasn't so much a comparison as it was a question. If you were in India, and given those two choices. Which would you buy?
Knowing how the majority would answer that question, the followup is again: How can Windows Phone possibly win?
Short of axing the MSRP by 50%, What possible incentive could be offered to hack away at the gaping discrepancy in specs?
Are there any legitimate ways for Windows Phone to win a battle like that?

Would many people take free services to compensate for a specious mediocrity in hardware? Or does Windows Phone hardware need to be better? Or does Windows phone hardware need to be less expensive?

It seems like Microsoft wants it both ways. Low-end hardware at mid-range prices. Or mid-range hardware at high-end prices.
IMO, to win this battle, they will have to adjust should they wish to stop losing market share.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I would rather buy a recognized brand than some Indian crap. Nokia/Microsoft vs MicroMax - easy, Nokia wins. The cheapest car in the world (made in India) would cost at least ?9,000 in the UK to meet basic safety requirements such as a crash.

The comparison to the Moto G is a good one. I agree that the Moto G is a great phone.

So yeah Windows Phone would win compared to Indian products. The Moto G however would be tough to beat, but the Lumia 520 was a top selling phone...

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh boy here were go. It all goes downhill from here. This thread will go out of control with Google versus Microsoft until it gets closed by the moderators.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No pa here in India people are greedy as always.They want low price high spec device for them yureka is win.They also compare with moto g.smartphones are becoming more a commodity rather than luxury.With highest battle in low end wp will be dead in waters with low end.Thats very sad.
From Windows phone

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
So... where can i get me one of them Micromax phones in the US? Nice looking phone, more like an 830 killer to me. I'm loyal to my wallet.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey it is flash sales.By creating interest they will sell it in blackmarket sites like olx eBay quikr nd sell it at premium.People will still buy like sheep's.
From Windows phone

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey it is flash sales.By creating interest they will sell it in blackmarket sites like olx eBay quikr nd sell it at premium.People will still buy like sheep's.
From Windows phone

People won't buy crap phones for a premium price. The whole point consumers would want a budget phone would be for the price. So the black-market premium is a bit off...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How is Micromax providing such high end hardwares at such a low price? Seems fishy to me :/

I'm not sure about Indian laws regarding tariffs on imported products. Perhaps Micromax products are cheaper, since they are made in India and don't have any tariffs.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No way it happened in Mi 3 case people paid 18000 for that.maybe you nd I wont buy but in India some are fools they want to buy to show of and then resell it .Even iPhone owners will just buy for little use nd sell it nd buyers buy because they mmx have created interested by means of flash sales.This only happened in xiaomi case.
From Windows phone

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure about Indian laws regarding tariffs on imported products. Perhaps Micromax products are cheaper, since they are made in India and don't have any tariffs.

It's about regulations and meeting safety requirements. In India you could be using radioactive metals and crap that could explode. In developed countries you get laws and less corruption

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's about regulations and meeting safety requirements. In India you could be using radioactive metals and crap that could explode. In developed countries you get laws and less corruption

Manufacturing in India cannot be any worse than manufacturing in China. Most consumer electronics we buy in the US are made in China, mainly by Foxconn factories.

It's a bit of a stretch to say products made in India are explosive or radioactive. I've never seen stories about any products made in India exploding, but we've seen issues with many batteries made in China being recalled. I also haven't seen any mention of consumer products made in any country being radioactive.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Actually China is a lot better. They have proper regulations and try to uphold them. Much less corruption too. China is on the road to becoming a developed country, India is very far right now.

I talked about the worlds' cheapest car which is Indian. However to meet developed countries safety standards, it wouldn't be cheap at all. Adding another ?8,000 in the price.

Your point about tariffs is irrelevant. Tariffs don't make domestic goods cheaper, they make imports more expensive.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually China is a lot better. They have proper regulations and try to uphold them. Much less corruption too. China is on the road to becoming a developed country, India is very far right now.

Your point about tariffs is irrelevant. Tariffs don't make domestic goods cheaper, they make imports more expensive.

Both China and India are large countries. Both also have developed areas.

The issues regarding corruption cannot be generalized either. As for safety, the US has not recalled food products from India due to contamination, but food for humans and pets from China has been recalled.

I wouldn't say tariffs are irrelevant. That could explain why imported products are more expensive than domestic products in India.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Both China and India are large countries. Both also have developed areas.

The issues regarding corruption cannot be generalized either. As for safety, the US has not recalled food products from India due to contamination, but food for humans and pets from China has been recalled.

I wouldn't say tariffs are irrelevant. That could explain why imported products are more expensive than domestic products in India.

But it doesn't explain how domestic Indian phones can be made so cheaply. They must be using some sort of revolutionary production method such as the Henry Ford back in the 1913s. What are the multinationals Samsung etc missing?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But it doesn't explain how domestic Indian phones can be made so cheaply. They must be using some sort of revolutionary production method such as the Henry Ford back in the 1913s. What are the multinationals Samsung etc missing?

Do you know if these Micromax phones are cheaper than other brands in Russia, Sri Lanka, etc? Perhaps they are only cheaper than other brands in India.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

The Micromax Yureka isn't an Indian phone. It is a rebranded Chinese device, the Coolpad F2, except with a different SoC and Cyanogen software.

All points made here are logical. Tariff arrangements between China and India could very well play a role in the price. The manufacturing process could be honed or simplified based on engineering an easy-to-assemble device.

Also attributable to the low cost could be good business relationships between Coolpad and Micromax. Subsidization by a 3rd party company with a vested interest in Android's Indian market share could also be considered.

Apparently, everyone is in agreement that for Indians, Micromax Yureka is the obvious choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3