Was Nokia's problem Elop and windows phone?

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Nokia just recently realized that it had to go with Android to survive and that's the reason why we saw Nokia X and the current N1, but how can an educated business man like Stephen elop and other board members sit down on a round table and choose windows phone over Android?, its not that I kinda have any beef with WP which am currently using but, would you?,Nokia provided everything to windows phone,lumias have the best designs and hardest shells,there is nothing that windows phone needed for a good start up that Nokia never provided, if Nokia had gone with Android it would be miles ahead Samsung and apple by now, the Nokia x sold and its still selling in my country by now,there is no good reason that Nokia can give for selling their mobile division,Nokia x alone is just a sample of what would've happened if they had switched to Android,they failed with Symbian, failed with maemo and meego and still wanted to test something that other people don't have?

Finally, big companies choose wrong people to do their work,Stephens main aim was getting money from Microsoft which he did and flew off to the Bahamas, I would not! You would not, not even a high school student would've made such a decision.

Last edited:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's problem was it was slow to see that all phones were going to Smart phones and they picked the wrong startup with Symbian. They took too long to move away from dial and feature phones into smart phones, then picked a pretty young mobile OS, spent a ton on it, tried to develop it all while losing money. By the time Elop and WP were in the picture, Samsung and Motorola owned the Android Market, webOS was dead, Apple thought it was taking over the world and windows was looking for someone to throw money at.

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Nokia was already doomed. They waited too much for getting into the smartphones market.

Nokia wasn't doomed! How comes Lumia half worked and Nokia X created some noise?, its elop who ruined Nokia,he drove it to WP, made no profits and finally got sold and now makes navigation apps for a living.

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
But what's the point of bringing it up now, its ancient history.

Isn't Samsung ancient history?, isn't Motorola and Sony ancient history, anything that existed during Symbian,blackberry,palm and windows mobile deserves to be called ancient history!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Nokia just recently realized that it had to go with Android to survive and that's the reason why we saw Nokia X and the current N1, but how can an educated business man like Stephen elop and other board members sit down on a round table and choose windows phone over Android?, its not that I kinda have any beef with WP which am currently using but, would you?,Nokia provided everything to windows phone,lumias have the best designs and hardest shells,there is nothing that windows phone needed for a good start up that Nokia never provided, if Nokia had gone with Android it would be miles ahead Samsung and apple by now, the Nokia x sold and its still selling in my country by now,there is no good reason that Nokia can give for selling their mobile division,Nokia x alone is just a sample of what would've happened if they had switched to Android,they failed with Symbian, failed with maemo and meego and still wanted to test something that other people don't have?

Finally, big companies choose wrong people to do their work,Stephens main aim was getting money from Microsoft which he did and flew off to the Bahamas, I would not! You would not, not even a high school student would've.

No, this is called an opinion (not facts) and it is actually very ill informed. First, Nokia has not suddenly gone Android. A manufacturer has licensed the name for a product. Nokia has also continued to make it clear that any entry into the phone market, if ever, is not happening soon. As for them having surpassed Samsung and Apple if they had gone with Android, if you were in Colorado, I would ask you what you are smoking? Nokia was on the verge of collapse because they could not compete. Adopt the OS that is killing you and you are just another face in the crowd. Ask the people at HTC how going head to head with Samsung has worked over the past few years? For that matter ask almost any Android OEM how the books look? Elop gambled on going with something different that would stand out and while they haven't sold in Samsung or Apple volume, they got the visibility they wanted. They also were in better financial shape as of the time Microsoft acquired the hardware division than they had been in several years. These, BTW, are actual facts that are verifiable through financials.

As it stands, Microsoft got precisely what it wanted and Nokia got the same. They parted with Microsoft having a production capability and a recognizable name and Nokia being freed from a hardware division that was hemorrhaging (and with balanced books and a viable path forward). Sounds like a pretty good deal but then I am a business person, not a high school student, so maybe my position is a bit biased. BTW, Elop also did not fly off to the Bahamas - last I checked he is a Microsoft VP. Oh, he also does capitalize the first letter of his last name, and unless you know him it is presumptuous (to put it mildly) to refer to him by his first name....

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No, this is called an opinion (not facts) and it is actually very ill informed. First, Nokia has not suddenly gone Android. A manufacturer has licensed the name for a product. Nokia has also continued to make it clear that any entry into the phone market, if ever, is not happening soon. As for them having surpassed Samsung and Apple if they had gone with Android, if you were in Colorado, I would ask you what you are smoking? Nokia was on the verge of collapse because they could not compete. Adopt the OS that is killing you and you are just another face in the crowd. Ask the people at HTC how going head to head with Samsung has worked over the past few years? For that matter ask almost any Android OEM how the books look? Elop gambled on going with something different that would stand out and while they haven't sold in Samsung or Apple volume, they got the visibility they wanted. They also were in better financial shape as of the time Microsoft acquired the hardware division than they had been in several years. These, BTW, are actual facts that are verifiable through financials.

As it stands, Microsoft got precisely what it wanted and Nokia got the same. They parted with Microsoft having a production capability and a recognizable name and Nokia being freed from a hardware division that was hemorrhaging (and with balanced books and a viable path forward). Sounds like a pretty good deal but then I am a business person, not a high school student, so maybe my position is a bit biased. BTW, Elop also did not fly off to the Bahamas - last I checked he is a Microsoft VP. Oh, he also does capitalize the first letter of his last name, and unless you know him it is presumptuous (to put it mildly) to refer to him by his first name....

Come on...where would Samsung be if it wasn't for android? Where would,LG,Sony,HTC,Motorola be, if they had not adopted android? These are all old dogs that are now living because of Google,the only ones suffering are Nokia and blackberry because they refused to accept Jesus Google as their savior.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Come on...where would Samsung be if it wasn't for android? Where would,LG,Sony,HTC,Motorola be, if they had not adopted android? These are all old dogs that are now living because of Google,the only ones suffering are Nokia and blackberry because they refused to accept Jesus Google as their savior.
Well Sony or HTC have been selling almost the same amount of smartphones per quarter as Nokia with Lumias. And they are not in a good position.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
This whole thing of Nokia + Android = Number one in the mobile market is just false... even the mighty Samsung is starting to see less and less sales due from the pressure of chinese OEM's like Xiaomi and Huawei, heck even some analyst can see Xiaomi as number 1 in just in a couple of years.

Competitive hardware with tight prices along with increased marketing investment from chinese phone makers are just too much for Sony, HTC, LG to handle... even Samsung is feeling the pressure.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, Nokia had a good chance at succeeding with Android if they had jumped in back in 2011 when they made the deal with Microsoft. Android has grown rapidly since then, and with Nokia's top of the line hardware, I think they could have done quite well. Samsung was not the force 3 years ago they are now.

I believe the reason Nokia couldn't sell enough WPs was not due to hardware, but more because WP was new and immature. It's not like the other WP manufacturers were too much competition. Nokia had around 90% of WP's market share.

Supposedly Microsoft gave Nokia some exclusive access to the WP OS, and Nokia's engineers did some brilliant things with it. It would be interesting to see what they would have done with Android.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
By 2011, Samsung was flooding the market with Android hardware. HTC, Sony, LG and Motorola started showing losses (in their mobile divisions) every quarter. They had occasional sales spikes with a good phone but nothing that was able to sustain them. Nokia was in no condition to compete against that juggernaut with another Android phone. Nokia tragically fumbled their Symbian development and ended up years behind. Seriously, the only choice they had was Windows. It was a gamble with slightly higher odds than using Android which were slim at best.

I think your cheerful perceptions of these companies are based on specific popular phones but that muddies up the harsh competitive reality of the industry. Also, HTC, Sony, Motorola and LG had no other choice but to use Android. There wasn't anything else with backing by a company like Google to compete with Apple. Remember Samsungs Bada OS? Exactly.

People may look at Nokia fondly but I think they are like the McRib Sandwich. When its gone people miss it but when its back on the menu very few people actually buy it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism