Why can't Microsoft update Windows Phone like Windows?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Seems to me that Windows has a pretty decent update mechanism with "Windows Update". It's consistent, automated, and for the most part keeps clueless user's PCs up to date.

Enter Windows Phone - they have very minimal control over how the updates are pushed other than their creation.

I'm not stupid and I realize there's firmware and radio drivers and all kinds of crap at play when it comes to a phone - BUT

If there are aspects of the OS that have nothing to do with the radio drivers - why can't Microsoft just update its own software? It doesn't need any "special" control from the carriers. Everyone spouts off about how Apple has some special privilege to push updates. There's nothing special - they create 1 phone - iPhone, which includes radios that will work on almost any band, any country, anywhere in the world. This makes it quite easy to control the updates since you can package everything up to work across any carrier.

Why can't Microsoft do this? I hope they do it with Win10.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was watching a Pocketnow podcast yesterday (on YouTube channel) about this. They say this is a major reason why people aren't diving into Windows Phone. Updates come too slowly, and the only reason people buy the flagships/newer phones is because they get shipped with the latest software, which would normally take up to a year to deliver to other phones.

Flagships don't have any other "breathtaking" features other than the new software that incentivize people to buy them. So it seems as if most of WP's problems stem from your concern.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Actual windows phone is kind of doing this. In the past for example XBox and other "apps" were "hard wired" in the OS. Making them separate apps makes updating (adding functionelity) much simpler.
And using D4F you also get faster OS updates (for the "experts").
Now the problem with firmware updates is that the people get over exited and "demand" them on the first day. If people were also so fast with paying there bills the world would be a better place.

In the latest DP there is an function that you not only can automatic load updates but also install them and I like this especially for the "non experts"

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
While I agree a better update system would enhance the desire to use WP in the future there are other problems that exist. I use both WP and Android, and have more than one phone (active) in each system. Andoird is no better than WP and in some ways worst in updating. I would have to give the nod to IOS when it comes to updating.

WP has to present their system in a way that people will want to use it over another system. Right now that is not the case. I like WP and use it as my main daily phone. But they are late getting to the table and most people are already committed to a system. Why change unless you have a reason too. Its why I believe Microsofts pushing for the low end to capture the feature phone users who are finally realizing its as cheap to use a low end smart phone as it is to use a feature phone.

Doubt we will see an improvement in the update performance in the future.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If Windows Phone updated in the same way as desktop Windows I wouldn't use it. Weekly mass updates that take an age to download, longer to install, require multiple restarts, constantly fail to install, mix essential with voluntary updates, and risk killing the system... I don't want my phone to restart and then tell me not to shut it down because it's installing updates, and then tell me that again when it eventually reboots.

No thank you!

It's good the way it is.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You know how the percentage of Apple users that update on day 1? Me either, but everyone I know with an iPhone is walking around with a constant update notification that they ignore until it makes them.

And as for Android, do you know how many of their phones NEVER get updates? Again, neither do I, but I hear it's a very common thing, and even when they do... Same thing-- they ignore until they have to install it.

So, Windows Phone, people are finally aware of, but they don't know anyone that has one outside of us fans. We are constantly pushing for the latest greatest, but most users don't care about that stuff until we show it to them.

Thanks to dev preview, we already get the latest greatest for the most part. There's no harm in using it. Firmware updates, however, are the only real issue, and I get why the carriers get uptight about them... They can cause havoc when they get botched. Look at the iOS 8.0.1 update that bricked phones, for example.

Anyway, ideally, I'd love if Lumia firmware would be beta released as an optional part of the dev preview track. Extra warning about danger and such, but push them out for willing testers.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Updates on a quarterly bases would be ideal.

On dev preview we're getting them almost monthly. Firmware has been roughly semi-annual. That's better than most platforms, in reality.

Frankly, being on dev preview is working pretty well. If they ever release firmware this way, it'd be perfect.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone uses Windows Update. Exactly. You just can't see it.

When updates exist they are sent out and your phone updates. However updates are infrequent compared to a PC.

Developer Preview is obviously more frequent and makes a large public release appear to have little because you get the changes incrementally.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You're not really getting my point.

All I'm talking about is the mechanism, not the schedule

Technically the mechanism is identical.

The politics of getting a carrier's input and validation to a major update is different. But for OS updates that doesn't exist. See Developers Preview program.

Spikey Sato

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
This is the only thing that lets me down about the windows phones really. They lack updates. The phones have so much potential if they would do what iphone does and just set it up so they can push updates out when they want without the carrier would be great. I don't know why they does this just no sence behide it.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
That's what the developer preview is about; getting the updates to the end users as soon as they're good to go. Also, looking at the Win10 technical preview shows MS is serious about tweaking how they deliver updates.

I know it's a constant joke for WinPho users to wait it out, but Win10 SHOULD be the game changer we need.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This is the only thing that lets me down about the windows phones really. They lack updates. The phones have so much potential if they would do what iphone does and just set it up so they can push updates out when they want without the carrier would be great. I don't know why they does this just no sence behide it.

But if that's your only issue, join the dev preview. Done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills