Blackberry has a interesting way to force developers to code for it's platform

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I think it's crap. Why should developers have to code for every platform with very little return. There are lots of under 1% market share OS: firefoxOS, jolla, tizen(in the future). Who will pay developers for developing for such platforms?

And if I myself develop a phones OS with 1 user (me), could I force app developers to build every app for just my phone?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Chen is right, big companies should be forced to develop an HTML5 app. This is more important that net neutrality. Google and Apple are the new owners of the Internet.

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Chen is right, big companies should be forced to develop an HTML5 app. This is more important that net neutrality. Google and Apple are the new owners of the Internet.

And Adobe should be forced to package its products for Linux, Google forced to make an YouTube app for Windows Phone, Apple's Facetime for everyone... And I guess they should all give it away for free since everyone deserves it.

Or we just let the market decide.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
And Adobe should be forced to package its products for Linux, Google forced to make an YouTube app for Windows Phone, Apple's Facetime for everyone... And I guess they should all give it away for free since everyone deserves it.

Or we just let the market decide.

I'm thinking in massive public services. Companies can't force their costumers to buy a particular computing platform to have access to their services. In mobile, the browser is no the client of the web, the apps are the client. Without access to the apps you can't access web. Google and Apple control the apps, they limit the access to the apps, that's unacceptable.

First, the app stores shouldn't be a monopoly of the owner of the platform, third party app stores should be allowed.
Second, massive public services should be forced to develop an app for the open web.

The regulators should correct this.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry doesn't have Netflix? o_O

Not natively, but the Android version can be installed, and it can work without any issues.

As a BlackBerry 10 user, I can definitely see some valid points. My university has apps available for IOS and Android only. And even though I pay the same tuition as others, I could not use the school mobile apps available on other platforms. And I definitely felt that there was an issue of discrimination for not using one of the two main phone operating systems.

Also, they can make a minimal requirement to qualify for the "app neutrality" for mobile operating systems such as
- minimal number of countries availability
- minimal number of global sales
- current availability (not discontinued)

So this proposal does not necessarily have to include the newer Firefox os, tizen, etc, if they do not meet the said requirements above. So no, you still won't be able to create your own 1 user mobile os and demand apps.

I would be happy if the app neutrality law could just include the 4 major phone OS.

Also Chen makes a good point about the app IOS and Android dominating the market. Windows Phone and BlackBerry are still in the market, but both of them have not had much traction for a while now. And we all know it is not going to change any time soon.

For those who say that, there will be more apps once more users use the mobile OS, but there won't be any users to begin with if there were no apps.

The app disparity situation between the top 2 (android and IOS) and bottom 2 (BlackBerry and Windows Phone) will only get bigger if nothing is done.

Maybe Microsoft and BlackBerry could work together on this since both of them need to fix the app situation on their platform.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone and BlackBerry are still in the market, but both of them have not had much traction for a while now. And we all know it is not going to change any time soon.
Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

It does change for us with Windows 10, any apps made for Windows 10 will work on all devices.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For those who say that, there will be more apps once more users use the mobile OS, but there won't be any users to begin with if there were no apps.

Who pays for all this neutrality? Unless Mother Teresa comes back as a dev, nobody else will do it for free. I understand the need for more apps on the smaller platforms. But I also understand the free market system and it's about getting your paper. I haven't seen Nadella, Chen, Page and Cook get up on a stage together and pledge app uniformity for everybody. I'm not trying to be a D, it's just the reality of the situation. We all knew what we were getting into when we bought WP devices, or BlackBerry if that's your platform of choice.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
All the costumers of the company pay for the cost of development.

In the same way you're paying for apps for iOS and Android that you can't use in WP. Or are you getting a discount?

You totally misunderstood my post. I suggest you read what Mr. Chen is proposing then you'll have a clearer picture.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I work for a bank, and they built their app on HTML5 with apps for Android, BB10, iOS, and a mobile website. Cool thing is that they all look the same including the mobile website. I have to say it's one of the best looking banking apps out there.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3