Will 2015 Be the year for Windows Phone ?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone will be able to tell at this point, since Windows 10 has not been released yet, and there won't be any new devices for awhile.

It would be nice if market share were to improve, though.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I'm unsure. It's going to take some time to see if making thing universal has a large enough impact on app selection. I do know that I'm excited to see what happens. This seriously has been the most excited about Microsoft stuff in a long time and I'd like to be able to be apart of that. So while I do use a iPhone right now, that could easily change in 2 years when I get my next phone. And I know Windows phone, depending on what state its in then, would definitely be considered. In the meantime, I do have a PC and I'm excited for windows 10. So much that im thinking if my future laptop purchase being windows instead of a MacBook.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well with the release of those 2 new low end phones and the Third World market growing like 30% year on year this might be the time for windows to take off. I myself am happy with the amount of apps. but the ones we have could be better FB and Whatsapp come to mind. But many people are not happy, chicken and eggs come to mind. But if MS can build enough hype with windows 10 we might get more people on board.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
No, 2015 won't be the year of the Windows Phone. Market share may gradually increase, but I seriously doubt the Windows Phone will ever leave third place.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
No, 2015 won't be the year of the Windows Phone. Market share may gradually increase, but I seriously doubt the Windows Phone will ever leave third place.

Agreed. Android would really have to screw up in order for Windows Phone to claim second. And Android continues to improve on budget hardware. We'll see what Android does in 2015. I expect for 2 GB to be the norm, 1 GB for budget phones and a 4 GB Android flagship. Windows Phone needs a 3 GB flagship to persuade Android power users. Hopefully that happens this year.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Android would really have to screw up in order for Windows Phone to claim second. And Android continues to improve on budget hardware. We'll see what Android does in 2015. I expect for 2 GB to be the norm, 1 GB for budget phones and a 4 GB Android flagship. Windows Phone needs a 3 GB flagship to persuade Android power users. Hopefully that happens this year.

Windows won't move into second place because of flagships. It will because millions of people buy cheap phones and Apple doesn't sell those.

It does however need flagships to be a viable platform in the west which is where a lot of mainstream apps appear.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see WP grow but I also wouldn't be surprised to see it stay around the same. I think WP10 along side Windows 10 can certainly cause an increase. I can also see some major businesses moving to WP because of 10 coming along. However, that might be more in 2016/2017 before we see that. It'll be interesting either way.

chris722

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I may be the exception but I think that Windows Phone can remain at this market share indefinitely without any issues. Better to be in the game and make money than not be in the game at all. Plus I like what Microsoft has done. It would not surprise me if Windows Phone stays right where it is at for another 5, 10, maybe even 15 years. I think that Microsoft has found its niche with the budget devices. They're not the best but they're better than Android.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I may be the exception but I think that Windows Phone can remain at this market share indefinitely without any issues. Better to be in the game and make money than not be in the game at all. Plus I like what Microsoft has done. It would not surprise me if Windows Phone stays right where it is at for another 5, 10, maybe even 15 years. I think that Microsoft has found its niche with the budget devices. They're not the best but they're better than Android.

As a business, though, if I was a shareholder I would be constantly questioning the company I'm investing in basicaly throwing money in a hole for 15 years with no meaningful return or impact.

Of course, I'm not saying they should only listen to shareholders. But they do have sway.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As a business, though, if I was a shareholder I would be constantly questioning the company I'm investing in basicaly throwing money in a hole for 15 years with no meaningful return or impact.

Of course, I'm not saying they should only listen to shareholders. But they do have sway.

At one point Windows Mobile had a large smartphone share. Then Apple came along and they kind of stood still. They're on a roll now. These things don't change overnight and Microsoft are good at the long game. Look at PS2 and Xbox

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, it's hard for anyone to even pick up a windows phone that's compelling because of the lack of flagship devices with modern specs. On att there's only the 635 (low end phone that's probaly not a good experience) , the 830 (mid range performance) , the 1020 (not even supported anymore) and the 1520 (a huge phone whose chipset is already almost three generations behind.) and the HTC ONE M8 (a phone that's already almost a year old spec wise with a lacking camera.)

So MS is going to have to make good on their 2015 flagship promise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros