Is Windows phone dead or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janus Jensen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
hello folks.. i just got a nokia 930.. and i really love it... solid hardware and windows phone OS os very very nice .. even better than android..
so here is the problem.. yes ... apps.. its still nothing like android .. but i can live with that if things get better..
but all i hear from the media is that windows phone is (almost) dead. and apps are not updated and so on.. so iam really not sure if i should keep my nokia 930 . i really like it but no point in keeping it if the platform is almost dead?

soo is windows phone doomed? will microsoft kill it off? will things keep gettin better and better? ( windows 10 )

thanks in advance

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
hello folks.. i just got a nokia 930.. and i really love it... solid hardware and windows phone OS os very very nice .. even better than android..
so here is the problem.. yes ... apps.. its still nothing like android .. but i can live with that if things get better..
but all i hear from the media is that windows phone is (almost) dead. and apps are not updated and so on.. so iam really not sure if i should keep my nokia 930 . i really like it but no point in keeping it if the platform is almost dead?

soo is windows phone doomed? will microsoft kill it off? will things keep gettin better and better? ( windows 10 )

thanks in advance

Remember, this is still a new OS. Anyway, no its not dead.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the platform won't be dead until the last device dies and the last bit of infrastructure is shut down.

the media often has a sort of anti us slant anyway.

don't worry about Windows dying. I'm sure someone out there can make the case that Android is doomed.
(worry about webOS dying)

what kind of question is that? 10 had been announced, we're looking at a massive shift.
don't worry about it. it's not going anywhere.

it's not a smash hit, but I'm sure Nadella is more competent than he-who-shall-not-be-named.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No, windows phone is alive and kicking and you are guaranteed an upgrade to windows 10 so technically you are right. WP will die because W10 is its successor.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Lesson 1.... Never believe the media. Their job is to create stories... They have to put some sort of spin on what they write so people read it. If you based any decision on the crap they write, you wouldn't do or buy anything... In the end if you aren't confident with your choice of phone, buy something else..

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I hate questions like this.
Windows Phone is not dead, It is changing name to Windows 10. Actually it looks pretty much the same as Windows Phone 8.1.
It's just marketing trick. So I would say Windows Phone is adult more and more.

Dominosdad

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
If your phone works, if your phone does what you need it to do, it is not dead. Even if there was no Win10 coming. Even if it never changed again. it's a smartphone. It doesn't cease working. The camera will still take pictures. etc.
If you just want to have the latest shiny fashion object, well it's still not dead. But currently it doesn't have the fashion status of an iThingy. It may never have.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Why is anyone even bothering with this question? Sell your 930 and go buy an iphone and be happy. That's solid advice right there. Me, I like to be different and am not worried about having 2 million useless apps...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I hate questions like this.
Windows Phone is not dead, It is changing name to Windows 10. Actually it looks pretty much the same as Windows Phone 8.1.
It's just marketing trick. So I would say Windows Phone is adult more and more.

It's not really just a marketing trick. Windows 10 for phones is the same as it is for desktops. The difference comes from various being installed or not installed.

Currently Windows 8 and Windows Phone are not the same OS. That is changing.

So calling Windows 10 on phones just Windows 10 is indeed accurate and more than a marketing trick.

To the OP, Windows Phone is dead in that is being replaced by Windows 10. That being said, your 930 will upgrade to Windows 10. So the platform as a whole will continue for you, and probably get a lot better actually.

Anyone leaving WP right now is leaving prematurely. I can't imagine dumping windows phone just months before Windows 10 is released.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

thanks in advance

If you want a phone that absolutely works and has all the latest and greatest apps get an iPhone they're great I love them. Some people say that Windows 10 is gonna be Windows Phones' messiah, I personally don't think so but I'm not denying that the one OS thing is pretty cool. As it stands Windows Phone is on life support and flailing badly. Even if Windows 10 were the savior, the app situation (which is arguably WP's biggest demise) isn't going to improve overnight. So give it 6-8 months for W10 to release, then another 6-8 months for launch bugs to be ironed out as well as devs to launch their universal apps (assuming they do of course) all in all about a year and a half to see if Windows Phone will be alive and well or just written off as a really expensive loss. I've done my fair share of waiting on this OS, it seems that's all we're doing is waiting and no it's not because it's a "new" OS it's going on five years already that's definitely not new. So let me tl;dr it for you, need a phone that's awesome and works right now? iPhone it is. If you don't mind owning a glorified feature phone while you wait (there's that W word again!) then keep your Windows Phone. ;)

theolympusguy

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
my entire household has windows phones, we are all windows insiders and LOVE it!

its not dead, 11 million sales over the holidays and amazing Markets in India and South America. It takes time but we are getting there...LOVE MY Lumia 1520!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sales of almost 40 million devices last year and likely 50 or 60 million this year is hardly dead. It's growing which will bring more the apps. Saying that, despite some losses with US companies, games and other apps are on the gain from a year ago, so we're already seeing more and more apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3