Good Read: "Dumb Move: Chase And Bank Of America Pull Support For Windows Phone Apps"

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with both sides of the argument. While Chase and BoA makes plenty of money, you also have to remember that many things are compartmentalized. Microsoft makes billions every year but that didn't stop them from dropping Zune, dropping KIN and dropping numerous other products throughout the years. Same with Google. Eventually some department manager has to justify why they're pouring money into a losing platform. So while Chase/BoA have plenty in the... bank, someone has to justify why they're wasting resources on a platform with so few users. Someone must of did the math and decided it wasn't worth keeping the app alive.

However, it does seem shortsighted given what we know, and likely what Chase/BoA also knows, that a unified Windows will open them up to a new range of possibilities. There are plenty of Windows devices out there. Hundreds of millions of Windows 7/8 users that will soon have Windows 10 and access to thousands of apps across a range of devices, be it desktop, tablet or phone. That includes millions of businesses/consumers that could start using the Chase/BoA app. And just like how people aren't dropping their current devices en masse, there won't be a mass exodus from Windows to OSX either. It's hard to convince people to buy whole new hardware (and sometimes platform specific software). So when consumers need a mobile banking solution, and don't want to replace their current desktop/tablet/phone, they're going to find a solution that works.

That's why Wells Fargo was smart to advertise their continued support for WP. They understand that in the long run, being everywhere for everyone is more important than a few bucks lost on a mobile app. It's the same reason Microsoft continues to support WP, it's the same reason they're adopting a unified strategy, because in the end they want to be the company consumers turn to no matter what device they're using.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Many of those Win7/8 users will be using desktop machines or non-touch enabled laptops. Many of them may not want to upgrade to Windows 10, so we have no idea how much the market for Windows apps will grow.

I have to ask - on the desktop, why would anyone chose to use a banking app over a web page? I'm very keen to adopt Windows 10 on all my devices, and will do so at the earliest opportunity, but using Firefox to open half a dozen websites is preferable to opening half a dozen apps on any laptop or desktop device.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"Time will tell but if you’re betting against Windows apps in general in the future and cutting development resources to a Windows-based mobile platform, you’re probably going to be playing catch-up again, sooner than later"

That last paragraph brings up a fantastic point. With the universalization of the Windows Stores of both Windows and Windows Phone, the apps will be able to reach all sorts of devices...or so we are told. The idea of one Windows Store to rule them all is definitely something that should help fuel the growth for Windows on phones

Now I can only hope that TD brings their app to the United States and I'll be set :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon