Whats the Microsoft Solution for TAP+PAY?

xJustiss

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey, it seems like here are some people with a good knowledge about the wallet.

here are my Questions, there was a feature showing offers me to save locals deals directly into the wallet, called "Deals".
Is this feature still alive, or is it a US only feature cause Local Scout seems to ne US only too.

My second Question, i heard about a feature in Wallet, like in Passbook from iOS, that it can show me Tickets and Deals etc, automatically in my Lock Screen, based on my current Location or the Time.
Also US only or is it a Coming feature?

And third, the possibility to See your transactions from your Bank Account right in Wallet(if you got an app for it) still alive?

I would try it by my own but till now theres no was or Apps in Germany -.-

Thanks for your answers :)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think the best solution for Microsoft is to adopt some form of Apple Pay, this then gains them a payment system while further bolstering Apple Pay.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Hey, it seems like here are some people with a good knowledge about the wallet.

here are my Questions, there was a feature showing offers me to save locals deals directly into the wallet, called "Deals".
Is this feature still alive, or is it a US only feature cause Local Scout seems to ne US only too.

My second Question, i heard about a feature in Wallet, like in Passbook from iOS, that it can show me Tickets and Deals etc, automatically in my Lock Screen, based on my current Location or the Time.
Also US only or is it a Coming feature?

And third, the possibility to See your transactions from your Bank Account right in Wallet(if you got an app for it) still alive?

I would try it by my own but till now theres no was or Apps in Germany -.-

Thanks for your answers :)

Deals is no more (as of Windows Phone 8.1.) The rest of your questions all require apps that have been written to support Wallet. Unfortunately, there are only a small handful of apps that have actually been written for Wallet. There was one airline that used that feature, but I believe they pulled their app. There's a few Starbucks card apps that use it (Buckstar being the best example, in my opinion), but other than a very small handful of exceptions, Microsoft's Wallet has been nearly useless in practice.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Struggling to understand the mire MS have set up here. So, I have a secure sim, and my Denim 930 supports NFC payments, so all I need is an app that connects my visa card in the wallet to the NFC payment feature in the phone. So, my questions are:

Can't a third party app act as a go between to allow the visa card in my wallet to talk to the NFC mechanism? If so, are any signs of development going on?

Why isn't Visa making an app? That would surely solve everything? Any signs of that?

Why can't MS make a downloadable generic app that can be used in situations where credit card companies are happy to leave it to others, or until they decide to take up the torch? Ok, if they have one of those incomprehensible 'special deals' with carriers in the US to encourage their customers to use Apple or Google phones instead (which MS seem fond of getting in to) it could be for non-US countries only (negligible WP customers in the US anyway, so no loss) so what's the issue?

Waiting for EE to port over their Android app is no solution, as I only have one lifetime to use. I would prefer to link to my Visa card anyway, not my phone bill. Why hold out for some link to my phone bill when Visa is even better? I don't get it.

xJustiss

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Well i think, we need to ne hopfull
Keep in mind, the fact of a canceled feature doesnt mean it wont come back.
As you see, they canceled the Integration of Messengers into the Messaging app.
But with Windows 10 it will come back.
Its better to cancel something, then giving a bad experience.

I hope Windows will step forward and gain more Percentage, to get more support from Developers and Carriers.
In my eyes iOS and Android, isnt an alternative to WP.
With all their Apps and features, it still wouldn't give me a great experience.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well Microsoft really doesn't need softcard at all, tap+pay (microsoft's implementation) works fine with secure sims outside the US as that is all that is required. So there is no reason why it wouldn't work in the US for the interim period. The only problem you have really is carrier support and that just lets it down completely in my opinion.

I think the best solution for Microsoft is to adopt some form of Apple Pay, this then gains them a payment system while further bolstering Apple Pay.

For now, MS will still need a secure SIM in order to handle an Apple Pay type system. However, Joe Belfiore did hint at hardware not currently available on any current model WP to be released on phones after W10, and that it would be worth the wait. I think it is highly likely that they will be implementing the fingerprint scanner and internal encryption/decryption hardware necessary to adopt the exact same thing that Apple Pay is doing. I certainly hope so. Visa Token Services, which is what "Apple Pay" uses and calls it a "special name", is available for every mobile operating system on the market. You just need an app and some way to secure the transaction to use it. Apple Pay has baked it into the OS so that it is activated with the combination of tap+pay and fingerprint scanner. W10 could do the same thing, but the tap+pay could launch an app (like the wallet) to request the pin or whatever if you're on a model without a fingerprint scanner. If the app launches automatic, then it would be quite easy to use. No fuss, no muss.

Is MS working on it? I don't know. But they SHOULD be. Such a simplistic, elegant solution would further bolster Apple Pay, which is being implemented for the CHIP+PIN cards being issued around the world, and which US companies will be getting in line with quite soon. The NFC tech wasn't being implemented for Apple Pay, but for the CHIP+PIN and Visa Token Services associated with it. Apple pay found a way to take advantage of it, and Microsoft needs to jump on this bandwagon. Google and Softcard is trying to find a "better" way, but this way is already being standardized around the world, with heavily invested roll-outs planned by major banks, retailers, and credit-card companies world-wide during the next one to two years.

What does that mean? Softcard was already doomed. The carriers saw it and were happy to sell it to Google. Quit complaining that Google has cut off Microsoft from using it. It will only serve to help Microsoft in the future if Microsoft will just jump on the Standard that Google still thinks (wrongly) that they have time to change in their favor. This will hurt Google, and if MS will adopt this Visa Token Services, then it will help MS.

You want to do something to help here? Get on the Windows 10 uservoice and tell Microsoft to adopt the Visa Token Services, and make tap+pay open the wallet to enter a pin so that the wallet app handles the transaction the way Visa Token Services has set up.

I don't have time to set it up today, because I've wasted too much time reading articles on the internet and researching this the last couple of days (how it works, what banks are doing, how plastic cards are involved, all that.) It's time for me to join life and spend some time with my family out in the snow. Have fun, people. Someone link to a uservoice after it is set up, and I'll put my votes in on it after checking back later.

jason hendry1

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
yeh cash is good but to be fair its 2015 and most people wana use their phones to pay for things. I haven't carried much cash with me for about 10 years now, there's really no need too. I actually only go to one place that required cash and even then I sometimes use alternatives cause I don't wana got to the hole in the wall. For me phone paying is the future and one I cant wait for. I just hope Microsoft implement something, a lot sooner rather than later cause being behind this late in the game is not a good idea. I thought all we needed was a active sim and a company like visa and master card to support that. At vodaphone uk this isn't happening, Vodaphone offer their own alternative which involves putting a sticker on your phone lol. To me I might as well glue my debit card to the phone lol. Either way they don't seem to get the point that people want to use their already walleted and nfc capable phones lol.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
yeh cash is good but to be fair its 2015 and most people wana use their phones to pay for things. I haven't carried much cash with me for about 10 years now, there's really no need too.
In many places that's not the case. Cash is still king. Even in more cultured places, such as Australia, it's not uncommon for major IT glitches to rule out any electronic POS transactions for 24+ hours. That's when you need that emergency $50 in your wallet.
​It'd be great if a reliable, universal mobile payment system could be set up. But whilst financial institutions, national tel co's and all intermediaries are still involved it's a challenge.
​Moving away from NFC, there's probably room for some thought around how Uber do charging. It's location based, so reliant (at POS) on GPS only. Which instantly gets rid of most of the issues associated with NFC. There might be some avenues to explore there for an enterprising person.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Here you go, used the extract below as I felt it summed up nicely :).

Visa Token Services, which is what "Apple Pay" uses and calls it a "special name", is available for every mobile operating system on the market. You just need an app and some way to secure the transaction to use it. Apple Pay has baked it into the OS so that it is activated with the combination of tap+pay and fingerprint scanner. W10 could do the same thing, but the tap+pay could launch an app (like the wallet) to request the pin or whatever if you're on a model without a fingerprint scanner. If the app launches automatic, then it would be quite easy to use. No fuss, no muss.

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7149973-tap-to-pay

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
yes, it sucks that we had a chance to "taste" tap + pay in the US, only for Google to take it away

Softcard went under, it wasn't successful, and Google bought their technology. Regardless of what Daniel's article told you, Google didn't take anything away from you, Softcard did.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
the article told me nothing that i didn't read everywhere else.... after the google acquisition of IP and tech, what was softcard left? Google now owns the tech, and if you want to go 1 further, it's AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile's fault for wanting to control contactless payments on mobile.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Softcard went under, it wasn't successful, and Google bought their technology.

Not only that, but I believe Softcard (ISIS) was started as a reaction to Google Wallet. The carriers wanted in on it, but ultimately failed.

Regardless of what Daniel's article told you, Google didn't take anything away from you, Softcard did.

That's how I understand it as well. Google technically did not buy Softcard, but rather Softcard's technology. Softcard as a company is folding. Of course we don't know the fine print of the sale, but it's possible that Google had no say in whether or not Softcard remains on WP (not that their answer would have been any different :unhappysweat: ).

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There is no tap and pay solution for windows phone, and I doubt there ever will be. look at the stats. THE PREDOMINANT WINDOWS PHONES(5 series, 6 series) HAVE NO NFC READER. These phones have the markets share of windows phone. furthermore, msft doesn't seem concerned about pushing phones that have this capability.

This, I think, is Microsoft's biggest dilemma, they're in an impossible situation. People lament that they didn't push Windows Phone Wallet enough when it was released alongside WP8.0 but I honestly can't remember if there was any real demand at the time. And since NFC was de-coupled from Wallet, that didn't help matters and relied on third parties to fill the gap.

We have to remember that Microsoft has been trying to play catch-up in the mobile space since late 2010. It wasn't until Nokia started flooding the market with a plethora of low to mid-range devices that they started to gain any global traction and it's the entry-level devices that are driving sales, marketshare and in turn, mindshare. Problem is, there's no NFC on the 435, 520, 530, 532 or 535. Not a good place to be while you're trying to entice financial or retail partners to back a mobile NFC payment system. Back to square one unfortunately.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Thing is, in the countries where these low end phones dominate you aren't likely to get phone pay points any way (heck you can't even get xbox payment cards yet). In the markets where this matters the low end I not so much of a focus. It's like dual sim, you only need it in countries where it matters.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Since I back with Windows Mobile new name; I too would like a solution since Android Pay is ramping up and the king of tap and pay - Apple Pay is going to other countries. Microsoft has it in EU but in the U.S.; the carriers don't want to cooperate! It looks like Microsoft..... again is going be the one left out of the smartphone payment system in the U.S. marketplace!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss