wp8 tablet with PC functionality

dfb8085

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
do you think a wp8 tablet will work like a small netbook as far as windows pc experience? I mean I need for it to allow VPN access for work while I'm out and about. One other thing is that it would be great if it was also 3g 4g ready

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know the plan is that Windows tablets will run Windows 8, not WP8. It should be able to do anything your desktop PC can (with the exception for those that run on ARM chipsets, since those will need native apps written for that version). Networking features should be the same in both versions, while connectivity will depend on devices and regions (and carriers, if you're in the US or somewhere with a similar market...)

If you want to see how it could work as both a tablet and a netbook, check out this: Hands on: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga review | News | TechRadar

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
do you think a wp8 tablet will work like a small netbook as far as windows pc experience? I mean I need for it to allow VPN access for work while I'm out and about. One other thing is that it would be great if it was also 3g 4g ready
For PC-like functionality you will need a laptop/tablet convertible running Windows 8. ARM based units do not have drivers for peripherals like external drives, DVD players, etc. In fact, no tablet has these whether they be Android, iOS or webOS. For this reason I still use, on a daily basis, my old faithful HP TC1100. I put the Consumer Preview on it but it was not the most Wacom-friendly experience, so I went back to Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm hoping enough users like myself gave MS their feedback and they put this function into either Release Candidate or the retail edition.

A Social Reject

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
In fact, no tablet has these whether they be Android, iOS or webOS.

Android does seem to have support for hard drives and game controllers, its just finding an Android Tablet with support for it. The Xoom is the only one I know (I'd imagine the Transformer line does as its so popular) that has peripheral support.

And I imagine via a jailbreak you could make the USB iPad Camera Connection kit pick up the other files other than just photos, as I'm sure it just filters anything else out as opposed to not being able to see it.

/lots of guesswork

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Android does seem to have support for hard drives and game controllers, its just finding an Android Tablet with support for it. The Xoom is the only one I know (I'd imagine the Transformer line does as its so popular) that has peripheral support.

And I imagine via a jailbreak you could make the USB iPad Camera Connection kit pick up the other files other than just photos, as I'm sure it just filters anything else out as opposed to not being able to see it.

/lots of guesswork
A select FEW Android tablets have USB ports, but they're OTG. I don't know of any with hosting capabilities. And if there are some with hosting, it has to be for self-powered devices such as keyboards or mice. As for peripherals, I'm referring to printers, DVD drives and similar devices. No manufacturer has ARM-based drivers, only x86.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can buy a slate (Tablet running an x86/x64 processor) like the samsung series 7 slate. It will work just like a windows pc.
I've been wanting to ask someone with the Series 7, does it do ink like a Wacom-based tablet? I'd love to have finger touch, but I can't lose the pen-based note taking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99