Windows 8 Relese preview due 1st week of June!

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 'release preview' due in early June | Microsoft - CNET News

Good news for windows 8 (See link)!

I put the consumer preview on my Samsung Series 7 Slate yesterday. It runs so smooth. I love the mail client that comes pre-installed. I might have been converted from outlook. (But of course i'll still use outlook) The kindle reader is good to. I WANT A MAGAZINE READER!!! Something like the kindle newstand or something.

I cant wait for the release preview and the real deal.

What are your thoughts on windows 8 so far?

What changes do you expect in the final release?

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I put the consumer preview on my Samsung Series 7 Slate yesterday. It runs so smooth. I love the mail client that comes pre-installed. I might have been converted from outlook. (But of course i'll still use outlook) The kindle reader is good to. I WANT A MAGAZINE READER!!! Something like the kindle newstand or something.

I am also happily running Windows 8 on a Series 7 Slate. I like the mail client, but unless I'm missing them, there aren't really any settings for the accounts. I would like for the app to display all of my emails, and it seems to only keep the last two weeks worth. Obviously it is just a preview version, and I expect this to be rectified by the retail version, or perhaps in the release preview.

The Kindle app could use some touch optimizations I think, but it works.

I got the SKU with the base and keyboard, and I love how I can use the slate as a tablet and then throw it on the base and use it like any other pc or laptop.

I'm really hoping that they get all of the Xbox Live functionality in place with the release preview, but I'm afraid that they're going to make us wait until the retail version.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I put the consumer preview on an old HP TC1100 because it met the minimum specs and it is so much smoother and peppier than the XP Tablet Edition that there's no comparison. Of course, like the difference between Windows Mobile and Windows Phone, XP is more "tweakable" or maybe I just haven't figured out where everything is yet. Being a Wacom-based input hasn't allowed me to judge "finger-friendliness" but I'm liking what I see so far. I'm wondering if it's worth it to go after an ExoPC or something else that's not Atom-based.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I would just wait until after Windows 8 ships, to be honest. If you are looking for an ARM-based tablet, then that is pretty much your only choice right now. If you want an X86/64 slate then you should probably wait, because by the end of the year the Windows 8 slates will probably all be shipping with Ivy Bridge processors and embedded GPS and NFC. If I recall correctly, the Series 7 Slate does have both GPS and NFC, but no Ivy Bridge, since they came out last fall. Plus with these things using SSD drives, as the price drops between now and the Fall on them, hopefully the slate's prices will in comparison to some of the current slates as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb