Microsoft Surface, was not real

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Why was it that at the Keynote, all they talked about was hardware? I mean, was this a Windows 8 Keynote, or wasn't it?

Because clues are pointing to that this product is not a real product. Not at the moment at least. There are no specs, no price. But that's not even the evidence.

They didn't talk about the software at all. They didn't show us how to use the device, what it's for and what it does... and then when the bloggers got a chance to touch the device, they said that it was a demo, so they couldn't key anything in.

But why? Isn't that strange? Sounds like a fake to me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft would really look like a bunch of jackasses if they held an event that was an April Fool's joke when it isn't even April Fool's Day.

As inept as Steve Ballmer has sometimes appeared, he isn't that dumb.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft did not talk about specs or price because they are attempting to avoid the mistake they made with WP7. They also did it again today at the WP8 event. Microsoft is going to show off features and talk about specs and pricing when it is close to launch because the last time they announced prices,spec, etc about a product months in advance, Google and Apple had time to rip off WP7 and release their product so people think they did it first or are the only ones with the feature.

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is going to show off features and talk about specs and pricing when it is close to launch because the last time they announced prices,spec, etc about a product months in advance, Google and Apple had time to rip off WP7 and release their product so people think they did it first or are the only ones with the feature.

Do you really think? Because I do not know of any features that Apple copied. Besides, they're all in the same business, so they're all using each other's ideas anyway.

But it's not only me that thought the keyboard on the device was not real. But more of a concept. I hope it doesn't get delayed.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
They live demoed the Netflix app. It is a real product that isn't past beta yet. No conspiracy here.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
But we never saw him type on the keyboard, think about it...

How do you have a keyboard that has no visible power source? How is it connected to the slate?

Is it Wi-Fi or something? Why would they have unusable demo models at the event? I would've been mad flying out for that.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
There have been speculation that it's a new type of connector that MS has recently patented. I read it somewhere the past few days and saw the patent sketch. I'm sure someone else can elaborate.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

How do you have a keyboard that has no visible power source? How is it connected to the slate?

Is it Wi-Fi or something? Why would they have unusable demo models at the event? I would've been mad flying out for that.

:straight:
I thought he typed on the touch keyboard to demonstrate the sensitivity in that custom app that displays the pressure amounts?

You know those pins where the keyboard connects on Surface? Yeah that's how.
It's the same how your USB drive powers own. It's the heart of physics. Electromagnetism and all that.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

356qou.jpg

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Well it now seems Acer suggested something somewhat similar

Meanwhile, frequently outspoken company founder Stan Shih isn't even convinced that Microsoft is serious about the whole affair. To him, Surface is just an attempt to spur tablet designers into action that will fade away if and when Microsoft deems it a success.

Acer is skeptical of Surface tablets, thinks Microsoft isn't playing nice -- Engadget

I've never seen so much press coverage and reaction (good or bad) about Microsoft. I say they must be doing something right to piss off so many people. >=)

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is on the verge of a monumental shift with W8 and WP8. W8 will enable an explosion of apps and support which will trickle down to WP8 with its ease of porting. How many people use Windows in general (pc or phone) compared to ios? That's why I believe the apps market will explode in the coming year.

MS knows this. So why would they pull the rug out from under the ground swell of support they are receiving?

He did use the key pad. It receives power from the tablet.

I'm getting the RT by-the-way cause I believe the apps will come quickly

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is on the verge of a monumental shift with W8 and WP8. W8 will enable an explosion of apps and support which will trickle down to WP8 with its ease of porting. How many people use Windows in general (pc or phone) compared to ios? That's why I believe the apps market will explode in the coming year.

MS knows this. So why would they pull the rug out from under the ground swell of support they are receiving?

He did use the key pad. It receives power from the tablet.

I'm getting the RT by-the-way cause I believe the apps will come quickly
Quicker than W8? Metro may be new-ish but Windows desktop apps are the world standard in case you haven't noticed. I for get the exact number but it's upward of 80% worldwide.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I just read this post by the OP in another thread:

This is an unforeseen tragedy. I'm an iPhone user, but this makes me glad I didn't buy a Windows Phone. And I won't be getting a Windows product until maybe a year or two or three or four later. There's no unification.

I've been burned by buying other than Apple before. And I don't think Microsoft has it together.

It's clear he hasn't used/owned a WP7 device, and has done nothing other than criticize Microsoft products while championing Apple.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
He did too type on it. There was a hole demo of its ability to tell the difference between your hands resting on it and typing on it. Microsoft is not the first company to not let press use beta devices. They don't want the press having a bad experience and spreading bad reviews of something that will be fixed prior to final release. The main specs they didn't release are clock speed of the processor (Apple doesn't release this for its devices) and battery life. Since it is a beta device still, they probably haven't done final battery tests and don't want to over promise.

EDIT: Also, to tie in with the RIM news, RIM said in 2007 that the iPhone was impossible and thought it was fake. How'd that whole denying it existed thing work out?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett