Time for a 7" Nokia W8 Tablet with Pureview?

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have heard different rumours about a possible Nokia tablet. You might be wondering what would be Nokia's niches in this crowded market, especially none of them have done really well besides iPad. Surface will probably do OK with its Type cover. But is there room for Nokia tablet? Does it have a real chance to be successful?

Let's make a list of physical components for such device:

7" PureMotion HD+ display with 332 ppi
Windows8 RT OS
Quad-Core Processor (S4 Pro?)
808 Pureview 41 mp Camera Sensor with Low Light capability
1080p Video Recorder with Rich Recording
Replaceable battery and microSD
Same color choices as 820/920

The tablet can provide adequate space for the 41 mp camera sensor. The Quad-Core processor should be able to support 41mp which the Dual-Core couldn't. With the equipped Pureview technology, this tablet can rise above the crowd with the iPad included. This tablet can have multiple roles which make it unique and useful:

1. It is a Win8 RT tablet PC
2. It is a serious large screen GPS turn-to-turn guidance system (Nokia Drive)
3. It is a decent digital camera with oversampling pixels and macro zone capability
4. It is a decent 1080p digital camcorder with Rich Recording audio
5. The PureMotion HD+ provides a super display for viewing and play back

So the added different functions would make it real attractive device - more than just a 'me too' Win8 RT tablet. It should be a hot product for Nokia. I certainly would like to own one. I don't know if Nokia has looked at this option or not. What do you think?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have heard different rumours about a possible Nokia tablet. You might be wondering what would be Nokia's niches in this crowded market, especially none of them have done really well besides iPad. Surface will probably do OK with its Type cover. But is there room for Nokia tablet? Does it have a real chance to be successful?

Windows8 RT OS

The tablet can provide adequate space for the 41 mp camera sensor. The Quad-Core processor should be able to support 41mp which the Dual-Core couldn't. With the equipped Pureview technology, this tablet can rise above the crowd with the iPad included. This tablet can have multiple roles which make it unique and useful:

3. It is a decent digital camera with oversampling pixels and macro zone capability

So the added different functions would make it real attractive device - more than just a 'me too' Win8 RT tablet. It should be a hot product for Nokia. I certainly would like to own one. I don't know if Nokia has looked at this option or not. What do you think?
Not to sound like Mr. Spock, but your logic is beyond reproach if looked at objectively. However, the general buying public thinks that tablets must be 9.7" screens because that's what the iPad is. Until Apple releases a 7" iPad there will not be a Microsoft equivalent. Apple has ruled the market and the consensus for too long to try to sail against the wind. I don't like it anymore than you do but shareholders see it that way too.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll buy one of those! I'm not sure there's no market for 7 inches, the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 have sold pretty well. The odds are excellent the iPad mini will do well too.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I'm the only one on this one... but I'd love to see a 7" Windows Phone 8 Tablet from Nokia... jap...WP8 and not W8... So something like the Note, but a bit bigger (like nexus 7) and with Windows Phone 8...

Last edited:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Only tonight I was at a wedding and I was thinking if only my linen suit had a pocket big enough for a seven inch tablet I would have been saved the hassle of carrying a phone and a camera.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I mean, ignoring the fact that people using a giant tablet (7" or 10") as a camera look beyond ridiculous, I think there's clearly a market for 7" tablets, but for now, there's about 4-5 posts on this very topic and they all go to the same place. We all think they have potential and it doesn't change the fact that (for now) it's not gonna happen.

Eventually. Be patient and be thankful for what we're getting for now.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty Likely there will be one. But not this year maybe be announced at CES 2012. But wait. There's no 7 inch Windows tablet. maybe MS is letting Nokia dominate that Market foe windows tabs. So yes I find it likely there will be a Nokia Lumia Tab

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It amazes me how much i see people taking pictures with their tablets.

Can't come up with the situation where i would not have my phone and would not use its much better camera.

So maybe there is place for 808 like PureView camera on a tablet there? Would sure be cool to play with 38MP picture on a tablet.
That said i would personally move the manufacturing costs from the highly expensive custom PureView camera module to something else on the tablet.
Lumia 920 PureMotion HD (60Hz, Clear Black, IPS HD, Synaptics 3 series) like screen would be pretty amazing on a tablet.

And yes, there will be Nokia tablet at some point. I mean Nokia's own Head of Design said 2 months ago that 30% of his time was taken by a Nokia tablet. Elop has also made it pretty much clear there is tablet coming.
It's just about will it be announced Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: I love 7-9" tablets and think that is the perfect size.

No, this would be a terrible idea for Nokia.

Tablets can kill companies. That is a big part of what happened to RIM. It diverted too many resources to the PlayBook when it should have had a laser focus on its core business, smartphones, and its next OS, Blackberry 10. The HP Pre 3 never got a shot in the US based on poor sales of the TouchPad tablet. The Pre 3 was by all accounts an excellent phone and could have done well, particularly with enterprise (see above RIM failure).

Companies that are healthy (ie Apple, Samsung, ACER, Asus, Amazon, Microsoft) can afford to to take the gamble. They can afford to have a flop or three if it leads to a device that actually sells well. A flop that requires as much R&D as a tablet would cost Nokia would kill Nokia. So as much as I would love to see a great, smaller form factor Windows 8 or RT tablet, I do not think that it is the right move for Nokia to make because it is not a gaurenteed success, since they do not have the pull in the main stream PC world that they do in the Smart phone world.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
.... Apple has ruled the market and the consensus for too long to try to sail against the wind. I don't like it anymore than you do but shareholders see it that way too.

It is true that Apple has dominated the tablet market up to this point as all the statistics show. But it is about to change after 10/26 when W8 is released. The existing 1.3 billion WPC users will start make a move. Steve Ballmer has estimated that there will be around 400 millions W8 (RT & PC) sold by this time next year. Those new W8 users will create new wind the world will follow. The W8 app integration across PC, tablet and phone will be so powerful that most of the windows PC users will have difficult time to convince themselves NOT to use W8 tablet and WP8 phones. It just makes sense to use same 'Live Tile' ecosystem on all platforms with same apps and cloud service. I believe that 'Live Tile' UI is far more efficient, useful and intuitive than the icon based UI. All MS has to do is to make sure W8 and WP8 are solid and speed up the app development. IDC predicts the WP8 phones will surpass iPhones in 2016, but I think it will happen a little sooner. There are all kinds of possibilities for W8 tablet market also. But in order to standout among the crowd, you need to have a major differentiator. For Nokia, the Pureview technology is a powerful weapon they can package into a 7" (or smaller) tablet that can be used as a large screen GPS navigator, a decent digital camera and video recorder with Rich Recording audio. Just hope that MS won't pull Nokia's leg since this device can affect Surface. :)

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Cameras are essential on phones, because in general you always have a phone with you.

Even though I love the idea of replacing my phone with a 7" tablet, I just don't think id have it everywhere, and thus my requirement for a quality camera would be far less than a phone.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
7" seems to be a nice form factor, I bought my fianc?e a Nexus 7 tablet and since she has had it, she hasn't touched her laptop once, and it is always with her wherever she goes.
Having said that, as a woman, she always has a handbag, so has somewhere to put it.
Unless it is cold, I live from my jeans pockets, and a 7" tablet would be too much of a pain to carry around, but for home use Id love one..

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Just saw a new article -"Fan render of proposed Nokia ‘phablet’ makes us yearn for new hardware" being posted on the WP Central News page. Apparently, some folks are already thinking along this line about a possible mini Nokia tablet as we discuss here. Interesting.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the B&N/Microsoft relationship. That's where you will find a 7" tablet running some iteration of Win8RT.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Cameras are essential on phones, because in general you always have a phone with you.

Even though I love the idea of replacing my phone with a 7" tablet, I just don't think id have it everywhere, and thus my requirement for a quality camera would be far less than a phone.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
I agree that a tablet should be just a tablet. I remember that Huawei Ideos from a few years ago never caught on as a phone because it was too large. I believe 4" is the max for a phone, and I have large meat hooks. Nokia needs to re-establish itself as a phone maker before going off in other directions. Just my $.02 worth.

killthedope

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Windows8 RT OS

This would be a dream config .. i doubt they include all this at one go ... may be upgrades will have the specs one by one :cool:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
To me tablet is tablet when it's around iPad size or larger. I would actually wanna see tablets in the 10-15" range.

I have a phone that i carry everywhere and tablet that takes about 50% of my home surfing, used at times in university and in train/plain. Last thing i wanted would be smaller tablet than iPad.

In a other hand maybe because i use my tablet i don't really get the idea of these 5" phones. Just doesn't go well with my daily life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6