Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  • 1 Post By mdameron
  1. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
       #1  
    With the announcement of the W510 pricing being $499 for a 10.1", 32 GB, Intel powered tablet, I think that highest price an entry level RT device could be is $399, with $350 being more likely and $299 a realistic possibility. Lenovo said that RT devices should be about $200 less than an Atom powered equivalent. The W510 is the first entry level device we have gotten pricing for (the ThinkPad Tablet II and Samsung Series 5 are both more mid-tier do to better design and/or features). If the cheapest RT you can get is $399, it will be a tough sell. I think many people would pay the extra $100 for the added functionality of a full x86 system. Now, if RT starts at $350, its a better option, and if it starts at $299, which is where I think it should start at, then it becomes a realistic long term platform and makes buying an Android tablet look silly. If Amazon can do an 8.9" high resolution, heavily customized Android tablet at $299, I think that Windows RT can hit the same price. Android will be relegated to low end, sub $200 devices at that point, which is the only place it really makes sense.
    Thanked by:
  2. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    #2  
    I'd say that's about right for an out of the box, device only tablet. Or are you thinking at that price it would come with the keyboard/cover?
    My next phone...
  3. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    I'd say that's about right for an out of the box, device only tablet. Or are you thinking at that price it would come with the keyboard/cover?
    If $399, it better include a keyboard if its entry level or be a mid-high end RT device. $350, it will depend what other features it is packing, $299 is device only
    crystal_planet likes this.
  4. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    If $399, it better include a keyboard if its entry level or be a mid-high end RT device. $350, it will depend what other features it is packing, $299 is device only
    Dude, I wish.

    I think the only way we'll see this price point is the fact the MS knows it will be releasing an unknown ecosystem into an already established/saturated market.

    That may be our ace in the hole as consumers.

    Let's face it - I plan on getting this on release day and it will be largely a leap of faith.
    My next phone...
  5. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Dude, I wish.

    I think the only way we'll see this price point is the fact the MS knows it will be releasing an unknown ecosystem into an already established/saturated market.

    That may be our ace in the hole as consumers.

    Let's face it - I plan on getting this on release day and it will be largely a leap of faith.
    ARM processors cost a fraction of what Intel processors cost. That alone will knock $100 off the price of the machine. Then start adding in that they won't have as much RAM, etc and it starts to add up. Due to patent fees to MS, if an Android tab can hit $299, there is no reason an RT can't.
  6. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,996 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    ARM processors cost a fraction of what Intel processors cost. That alone will knock $100 off the price of the machine. Then start adding in that they won't have as much RAM, etc and it starts to add up. Due to patent fees to MS, if an Android tab can hit $299, there is no reason an RT can't.
    You forgot the OS and Office licences, those will jack the price up quite a bit and make them that much more expensive than other ARM tablets.
  7. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    997 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    #7  
    Yeah but, just how much is an office license for a mobile device? I can't see it being very much because it would be along the same lines as a Windows Phone variant - pretty watered down.
    My next phone...
  8. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,996 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Yeah but, just how much is an office license for a mobile device? I can't see it being very much because it would be along the same lines as a Windows Phone variant - pretty watered down.
    Office on Windows RT is almost fully featured, only a few things like Macros and VBA are missing from Excel, I think Word and PP are pretty much unchanged. Its far more capable than the mobile version available on WP.
  9. Neo Nuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Office on Windows RT is almost fully featured, only a few things like Macros and VBA are missing from Excel, I think Word and PP are pretty much unchanged. Its far more capable than the mobile version available on WP.
    I see your avatar shows what appears to be WP 7.8 and you know your stuff. Do you work for M$ ?
  10. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #10  
    Can you install whatever version of windows on the surface?

    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
  11. mdameron's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    222 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    #11  
    Please, no swapping the S in "MS" for a dollar sign in the year 2012.
    jdevenberg likes this.
  12. jmajid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    308 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #12  
    From what you can read online at MS surface website, the cover "comes with" the surface tablet. Now thats the touch keyboard/cover, not the more tactile keyboard cover.
    And i agree, from what i have seen online, the price will be as low as 300USD to no more than 350USD for the cheapest Surface RT
  13. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    You forgot the OS and Office licences, those will jack the price up quite a bit and make them that much more expensive than other ARM tablets.
    Shouldn't the Office RT license be rolled into the license fee for Windows RT, since MS is requiring Office be preinstalled? If MS has any sense about them what-so-ever and actually wants Windows RT to be successful, they will make the license fee for Windows RT comparable to what they charge to license patents for Android. After all, the only way to get software onto an RT device is through the Windows Store, so the OS will in effect be subsidized seeing as MS will get a cut of every application and piece of software that gets installed on RT devices. I know I for one would jump on a $299 Lenovo IdeaTab RT that is identical to the $299 Android version they have out. Much higher than the Android version for the same software and I'd question it though
  14. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #14  
    Didn't Microsoft say in the press conference that the touch keyboard would be included?
  15. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,561 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    Didn't Microsoft say in the press conference that the touch keyboard would be included?
    This thread is not about the Surface for Windows RT, but Windows RT powered devices in general. But to answer your question, no they didn't.

Posting Permissions