Potential for Surface RT to run Windows 8 Pro

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Curious.. We know it's only a matter time for all devices to be hacked. I know a lot of us are gonna wait it out for Surface Pro however, I have to wonder.. Despite the weaker hardware of the Surface RT what are the chances it will be "hacked" and allow us to run Windows 8 Pro?

Would we still need to wait it out for the $1000 version? I can see the need for an Intel i5 and HD 4000 for gaming but that's about it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
ARM processors and x86 processors work process instructions differently.

So we won't see the full blown Windows 8 Pro on any ARM device.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You are talking about true Windows 8 running on a device with ARM. That's not going to happen.
If that was that easy Microsoft would not be doing this jump to the unknown with Windows 8 and do this major rework. :)

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Surface Pro is running full Windows 8. There's only one ARM version of Windows, and it's called Windows RT.

If/when people hack the Surface (which is going to be quite locked down), it will be to run other operating systems that can run on ARM like Android, allow native applications other than Office to run (provided they and their dependencies have been ported from x86 to ARM), allow pirating of Windows Store apps, etc.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
A few questions about RT:

Can I run Xbox music on there?

Will rt tablets have USB ports?

And is there a desktop function

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
A few questions about RT:

Can I run Xbox music on there?

Will rt tablets have USB ports?

And is there a desktop function

1) Yes (as far as I heard)

2) Yes

3) No, but on the Surface Pro yes. Acer and others will have tablets availble before the Surface Pro that will have desktop mode (full blown Windows 8)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
1) Yes (as far as I heard)

2) Yes

3) No, but on the Surface Pro yes. Acer and others will have tablets availble before the Surface Pro that will have desktop mode (full blown Windows 8)

Not entirely true on #3. There IS a desktop mode, and that's where native IE10 with some flash compatibility, and Office will run out of. You just can't load non-Store applications like you can in the Intel based Win 8 Pro version.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Not entirely true on #3. There IS a desktop mode, and that's where native IE10 with some flash compatibility, and Office will run out of. You just can't load non-Store applications like you can in the Intel based Win 8 Pro version.

So you're saying on Pro I couldn't install my Windows 7 programs via usb or something or install Fifa '13 for example..

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
So you're saying on Pro I couldn't install my Windows 7 programs via usb or something or install Fifa '13 for example..

You can't do that in RT, but you can in Pro.

RT = ARM = Store apps
Pro = x86 = Store apps + Desktop apps (Traditional Windows apps)

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
not Sure why rt needs a desktop if you can't run any non metro apps. What can you do on the desktop that you can't do in the metro side?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
not Sure why rt needs a desktop if you can't run any non metro apps. What can you do on the desktop that you can't do in the metro side?

Run the desktop version of IE10 (greater compatibility with flash compared to Metro version), run Office, access your file system, control panel, my computer, etc.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm......I think I might re-consider the RT then as an option

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

File management is the "good ol Windows style " on the desktop. Also I'd rather have it as an option too rather than not have it, wouldnt you say?

You don't NEED it to use the RT, but some tasks might be easier through it, such as the file management.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

This has been argued by bloggers who most say that the desktop should be just removed from RT.
That will likely happen and it's there now just because of some apps like office. When MS is done with the polish we will likely see the desktop disappear on RT.

Anyways there really isn't desktop on RT, it's just visible on couple of Microsoft apps, but you can't enter desktop.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The "Desktop View" on WinRT is really just the Win32 subsystem, it's not really a desktop the way we're used to on other windows systems. Microsoft has said that they're rewriting Office for the WinRT system, but I don't expect this to happen before Windows 9 if at all. At the moment I am not at all impressed with the WinRT API; hopefully in the process of rewriting Office to WinRT they'll fix some of the limitations. My suspicion is that they won't change its Win32 core, and instead will just make it look more like a Metro/Modern app, which would be a shame; if Microsoft can't write a serious app in WinRT then why should the rest of us bother developing for it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Anybody know if some other resident Microsoft desktop apps will be available on the RT. Like; Notepad and Paint for example.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3