Surface RT or Acer W500

aldovelco

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello
I've been seeing the Surface RT and the Acer W510** with full W8 experience and I'd like to know which one would you choose knowing they worth the same.

I mean, the acer has an x86 processor but sometimes I think I wouldnt mind paying the same for an RT device like the Surface considering its quality. Surface is much more appealing imo but again, I'd like to know what do you guys think? :)

**Sorry guys I meant the W510 as some of you have said already '-'

Last edited:

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Surface all the way. I have a desktop for my heavy pulling so the Surface RT will complement it perfectly. Plus it's just drop dead gorgeous and I'm a sucker for good aesthetics :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Acer isn't known for build quality. So I have a concern about durability there.

And an Atom processor, while significantly after than an ARM processor, is still pretty weak for the applications I'd want to use full Windows 8 for, like Photoshop.

If you used the Acer for only RT and ignored legacy apps it would be blazing fast. Bigger RT applications may run better on it.

But again, the question of build quality comes up. I simply don't trust Acer for a quality durable device.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I voted for the Acer. I've commented on this device a few times lately. Unless you can get the W500 for a good price (used) then I would pick neither. I'm personally not into the RT build. If it cannot run full Win8 then I have no need for it.

Now the new tablets running full Win8 is a whole different story. Although the W500 runs Win8 very well there will be no comparison to the new models. They will come with a pretty heafty price tag however.

Again, if you can find a good deal on the W500 ($200 - $250 range) its a better deal than the Surface RT.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you really mean the old W500, I'd go for the Surface. But if you mean the new W510, which can be had for the same $499 as the Surface, the choice gets more complicated. If you want a tablet, have to be able to run legacy programs, and only have $499 to spend, the W510 is the obvious choice. Now if you want a tablet, don't need to run legacy programs, and only have $499 to spend, it is personal preference really, as either the W510 or the Surface will get the job done, but I am personally of the opinion that the Surface would be the superior device. I have my doubts about the Atom's ability to run Windows 8 as well as the Tegra 3 will be able to run Windows RT.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The W500 is poor value in the face of its successor going for the same price and is lighter, higher res that enables snap and has longer battery life. Wouldnt go for an RT device either, so neither of these would be my choice.

aldovelco

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't think I'd usually need lot more than internet and office which I know the RT is perfect for. Also I'm in love witht the Cyan and White touch covers xD.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure why wasn't it mentioned the Acer W700 I thinks is a better option running i3 or i5 ivy bridge processors, with 4 gb of RAM, always smooth, while the RT lags sometimes, I have seen a review from theverge and you can see it lag from time to time.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure why wasn't it mentioned the Acer W700 I thinks is a better option running i3 or i5 ivy bridge processors, with 4 gb of RAM, always smooth, while the RT lags sometimes, I have seen a review from theverge and you can see it lag from time to time.

The lag in that review is because he has 8 applications open and he keeps swiping between them constantly.

No idea why people keep bringing this up. When will you ever just non stop swipe between 8 different applications?

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The lag in that review is because he has 8 applications open and he keeps swiping between them constantly.

No idea why people keep bringing this up. When will you ever just non stop swipe between 8 different applications?

ok fine but the i3 or i5 with applications open shouldn't have this problem. of course no one will non stop swipe, but also applications sometimes takes longer to open up, dont get me wrong the RT is still a great tablet, just I would compare it to Acers best tablet which is released on the 26

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
An ivy bridge tablet is quite a bit more expensive than an ARM one.

As for the Acer W510 - I am very interested in the performance/battery life of the new Atom. There are some encouraging numbers in Anandtech's review of the Surface.

aldovelco

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Only the RT tablets come with free Office. So if the Atom isn't miles ahead of RT, is it worth it?
That's actually a good question, I've seen some reviews of the Surface now and while I think it is nice on video I'd like to play with it for a while

Some reviews claim that there were some lag from time to time when swiping through apps very fast. I got some doubts about the tegra 3 processor performance :x

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
That's actually a good question, I've seen some reviews of the Surface now and while I think it is nice on video I'd like to play with it for a while

Some reviews claim that there were some lag from time to time when swiping through apps very fast. I got some doubts about the tegra 3 processor performance :x

I have used tegra 3 tablets and they are usually sluggish, I wonder why they didnt go with a snapdragon S4 or S4 Pro at least, is a better option I dont like that tegra uses a companion core for low power tasks, and then runs all cores, but at the same time when that happens your tablet usually lag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro