Thinkpad Tablet 2

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2? I'm excited about this device. I love the pen and want a Windows 8 pro device. I have concerns about it running an atom processor and how well it will really run. I am not a huge power user but do use photoshop, generally minor edits but... I wonder if I'd be better off waiting for Surface Pro but don't really want to wait 3 months.

Any thoughts on this tablet? Anyone looking to buy it? Anyone know release date for it?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2? I'm excited about this device. I love the pen and want a Windows 8 pro device. I have concerns about it running an atom processor and how well it will really run. I am not a huge power user but do use photoshop, generally minor edits but... I wonder if I'd be better off waiting for Surface Pro but don't really want to wait 3 months.

Any thoughts on this tablet? Anyone looking to buy it? Anyone know release date for it?

Beck... Im looking at this Tablet specifically too for all the same reasons. I'm also comparing vs the Surface Pro. The main things I like about SUrface Pro are Kickstand, touch cover/keyboard and the 1080p display.

But... it weighs 2 pounds vs the Thinkpad at 1.3 lbs. While I wan to e able to run Pro I also want to use this to read, watch videos, etc... so I dont want anything that is too uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

I think I read it will be released at launch, so hopefully this Friday. Im hoping its carried in stores so I can at least see it before buying.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts about it running an Atom processor vs an i3 or i5?

Good question, my goal was to try and wait for some early reviews... or just buy and try for myself.

I dont plan on doing any intensive photoshop work in the Desktop mode of Windows 8... I just liked the idea of having it there for whatever basic application I may want to use that may not be offered on the Win 8 UI for awhile, and of course MS Office.

If the full version of Office can run smoothly, Im ok with it.

I think that having SSD memory will help performance as well.

The other thing is, if in using or testing Win 8 Pro I feel its cumbersome or I wont use it much on a Tablet form factor, I will just get a Surface RT and be done with it :)

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
What are your thoughts about it running an Atom processor vs an i3 or i5?

I am all over this tablet when it is released. I'm slightly worried about the Atom processor, but the benefits of it are a lower power consumption (i.e. longer battery life) and less heat generation (i.e. no need for cooling fans, making it quieter and thinner). Other reasons I want this thing are the built-in digitizer pen and the fingerprint reader. The resolution is not that hot, the processor will probably prevent it from doing real heavy work (i.e. LR4 or video transcoding) but honestly as a laptop replacement for someone who already has a desktop, I think it's perfect.

I reallllly wish I knew when it's coming out though. That's the one thing that bums me out. I'm almost 100% certain that it won't be released on Friday, hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

-R

toby_85

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I am new to the forum. I am really interested in the Thinkpad 2. Here is some information about the release from my chat with the Lenovo representative

Hello
How can I assist you today?

i was just wondering if the thinkpad 2 will be available in stores on Friday for the Win 8 release
This will be release on 16-Nov
thank you have a great day
You are welcome,.

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Sadly I got confirmation on that date as well from a chat :(. This date frustrates me -- I don't want to wait another 3 weeks (although better than 3 months I guess ;))

Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is Anwesh . My rep id is 2900710940. Happy to help you today.
IS_Agent : Hello Revecca!
You : Hi, I am interesteted in the new Lenovo ThinkPad 2 Windows 8 tablet. When will it be released?
IS_Agent : It will release on Nov 16.
You : Will preorders be available before that date?
IS_Agent : I am sorry, as of now there are no pre orders
You : Do you know when pre-orders will be available?
IS_Agent : The date is not fixed for pre orders.
You : OK thanks for your help
IS_Agent : I suggest you to register in lenovo site to get the updates

Rebelatheart

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Im with you guys. I just stumbled across this tablet today, after not really paying it any attention when I first read about it.

I myself wanted a tablet could run x86 apps, so I was going to wait for the surface pro. Then I started thinking..I really dont want a tablet than only last 4-6 hours. I have a desktop and would only need the x86 apps for when I need an app that has no "Metro" version...truth is, I would rather run a Metro app over an x86 app if I had all the features I needed, as it is touch friendly.

So, then I started thinking if I should just get the RT model...Reading the Anandtech review, he commented on a clovertrail tablet he was testing, that pretty much smoked the Surface RT (Tegra 3 Quad), while being able to run Full Windows 8.

Looking for Clover trail tablets led me to the thinkpad 2. I think its perfect. Smaller than the RT and lighter, but can run x86 apps if needed, and if not, I still have iPad/Surface RT comparable battery life.

Wish it had a kickstand, and a I cant front..The combo of kickstand and keyboard which you can pretty much always have with you is still a big plus in my eyes for the surface. But, I think I can do without it.

Last edited:

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Im with you guys. I just stumbled across this tablet today, after not really paying it any attention when I first read about it.

I myself wanted a tablet could run x86 apps, so I was going to wait for the surface pro. Then I started thinking..I really dont want a tablet than only last 4-6 ours. I have a desktop and would only need the x86 apps for I need an app that has no "Metro" version...truth is, I would rather run a Metro app over an x86 app if I had all the features I needed, as it is touch friendly.

So, then I started thinking if I should just get the RT model...Reading the Anandtech review, he commented on a clovertrail tablet he was testing, that pretty much smoked the Surface RT (Tegra 3 Quad), while being able to run Full Windows 8.

Looking for Clover trail tablets led me to the thinkpad 2. I think its perfect. Smaller than the RT and lighter, but can run x86 apps if needed, and if not, I still have iPad/Surface RT comparable battery life.

Wish it had a kickstand, and a I cant front..The combo of kickstand and keyboard which you can pretty much always have with you is still a big plus in my eyes for the surface. But, I think I can do without it.

As mentioned above, I think Im all over this Tab too for all the reasons you mentioned. Also, it has a Pen and digitzier built in so you can write on it (like Surface Pro).

I also plan on getting the Bluetooth keyboard/stand which is the same size as the tablet. I like that its a Lenovo Keyboard (which I personally like the best) and will just get the pouch to carry it around in anyway with the keyboard. I doubt I will use keyboard too much, but I will always have it to click into place if need be.

The only downer about the Lenovo though is the resolution... I really wanted a 1080p HD display. May take a look at Surface Pro once it officially comes out... or see what CES has to offer.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe I'll be getting rid of my Surface or returning it for the Thinkpad 2. Just noticed the Microsoft store has it listed for $699. Pre-order, of course. I'm hoping this will hit stores on November 16. The Microsoft lists Staples as a place to pre-order but the link is not working. That's a good sign, Staples usually has good deals.

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad 2 Tablet - 10.1-inch Windows 8 touch device with Intel Atom processor - Microsoft Store Online

Thanks for the update TexanTony... I will be keeping my eyes open for its Arrival at Staples!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I believe I'll be getting rid of my Surface or returning it for the Thinkpad 2. Just noticed the Microsoft store has it listed for $699. Pre-order, of course. I'm hoping this will hit stores on November 16. The Microsoft lists Staples as a place to pre-order but the link is not working. That's a good sign, Staples usually has good deals.

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad 2 Tablet - 10.1-inch Windows 8 touch device with Intel Atom processor - Microsoft Store Online

$699? First I think Lenovo said $629, then $649, and now it's up to $699?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
With so many Lenovo products I wonder if it was a different product from Lenovo. The reason I say that is because I've been looking for a price for the longest and this is the first time I see one.

October 5 - Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet 2 to be priced starting at $629 | PCWorld

The $629 base price is just for the tablet and does not include accessories, said a Lenovo spokesman at an AT&T event in New York City on Thursday evening.

October 10 - Lenovo shows off Windows 8 gear: Tablets, RT convertible laptops, and Ultraportables | PCWorld

Lenovo also announced that the ThinkPad Tablet 2 will start at $649. That 10.1-inch pure tablet comes with Windows 8 and Intel's low-power Atom processor. It will deliver between eight and 10 hours of battery life, and a detachable keyboard will be sold separately. The Tablet 2 will go on sale on Oct. 26.

It's past October 26, it's still not on sale. I think either PCWorld is confused, or the Lenovo people they're getting info from is giving them false information. These other sites say it'll be available in November. Though both also agree on the $649 price.

Lenovo's New Hybrid Computers Fold Every Which Way

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 to start at $649 | News | TechRadar

Buzzy1982

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo ThinkPad 2 vs Dell Latitude 10

Anyone got any comments about the Dell Latitude 10 which is already released with Windows 8 Pro.

It looks as good as the ThinkPad 2, but wondering what you think?

:)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone got any comments about the Dell Latitude 10 which is already released with Windows 8 Pro.

It looks as good as the ThinkPad 2, but wondering what you think?

:)
Thinkpad Tab 2 is lighter and looks a bit smaller dimensionally. It also has digitizer and pen (optional) with built in pen slot... does the Dell? Also, it has the slick Thinkpad portable bluetooth keyboard that fits in the same case with the tablet itself. Personally, I think this will be THE tablet to get for best compromise of portability, power, Win 8 Pro, and accessories. I'm planning on getting one soon after they are released this week. Will post my thoughts then.

AnalyzeThis

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My Chat conversation with the Lenovo Rep

Either they have not told their reps many details, or they just wouldn't answer. Some of the details I asked about have been announced already. My conversation with the Rep was less than helpful:

Rep: Happy to help you today.
Rep: Hey

Me: hello,
Rep: How are you?

Me: I am looking at ordering a Thinkpad 2. I just got permission from my boss to place the order as soon as it is available.
Me: I am wondering how the options will be configured. Will the tablet have the option of being completely configurable within the specs, or will it have already configured packages?

Rep: I understand, however they are not available currently

Me: they are supposed to be available on the 16th.

Rep: Yes
Rep: Is there anything else that I may assist you with?

Me: How will the options be configured? 3g/4g keyboard/dock/ what version of windows, etc.

Rep: We are not sure of the configurations yet

Me: Will it be up on the website on Friday

Rep: Yes, they might be
Rep: Is there anything else that I may assist you with?

Me: SO, even though it will be available, it won't be available to purchase?

Rep: They will be available, once they are available you can purchase them

Me: Any idea on final prices yet?

Rep: No

Me: Seems to cutting it a bit close, huh?
Me: I guess I will check back on Friday

Rep: Sure, thank you

RTS2

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Chat conversation with the Lenovo Rep

Talked to a rep today and the following is transcript from session which indicates a new date of 12/18...

Please wait while we connect with you with a Lenovo Chat Representative.
You have been connected to ^Moses Kovela.
^Moses Kovela: Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is Moses and my Rep ID is 2900710940. Happy to help you today.
^Moses Kovela: Hi, how may I help you today?
Rebecca: Hi, I was interested in the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2. Recently it had listed an availability date of today but it does notshow as available yet.
Rebecca: Do you have any information on this item?
Customer has initiated a cobrowse session. (I was playing with the share function :))
Customer has ended the cobrowse session.(I was playing with the share function :))
^Moses Kovela: ThinkPad Tablet 2 is to be released today but there is a delay
^Moses Kovela: It would be available on 18 December 2012
Rebecca: OK. Thanks
Rebecca: Will you be taking preoders before that date?
^Moses Kovela: There is unfortunately no option
Rebecca: OK - no worries I'll check on the 18th.
Rebecca: Thanks :)
^Moses Kovela: You are most welcome
^Moses Kovela: Is there anything else that I may assist you with Lenovo products today?
Rebecca: No, thanks
^Moses Kovela: Thank you for contacting Lenovo. Have a good one.
^Moses Kovela: To ensure that we are always improving our service, you may receive a survey invitation at the end of the chat session to tell us what you think about our products and services. Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
For those who don't know, the Atom processor is an i3 processor, just the last rev of it. When Intel releases a new Core-i3, the last generation i3 becomes the Atom.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Chat conversation with the Lenovo Rep

Talked to a rep today and the following is transcript from session which indicates a new date of 12/18...

So ThinkPad Tablet 2 won't be available until the middle December, HP Envy x2 is available for order but won't be shipped until the middle of December, Dell Latitude 10 available for order but won't be shipped until the middle of December, Asus Vivo Tab still no idea when it'll be available, and the Samsung Ativ Smart PC is available but in somewhat limited quantities, but the keyboard dock is almost impossible to find. What a terrible launch. Why does everything keep getting pushed back?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786