List of Convertibles?

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Do you know of a place where I can find a list of Windows 8 convertibles? I can't go full tablet as I need to replace my desktop, but I don't want to go full laptop because I really want that tablet form factor.

Something like the Lenovo Thinkpad Twist seems just about perfect for what I'm looking for, but I want to make sure that it's the best option and so far, it's proven very difficult to find a resource that lets me know what's out there.

I don't have a problem researching the convertibles once I know about them, but discovering them and what they're called is where I'm struggling.

Or if you have suggestions what I should check out, let me know!

Thanks for the help.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
theefman said:
Try Ultrabooknews.com, has a good database.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I have the Lenovo Yoga 13 and it's great. I like it alot more than the twist, check it out.

I looked at the Yoga, and I'm still considering it. What scares me is a) the keyboard is exposed when it's in tablet mode. I feel like that's a recipe for disaster and b) I don't think 128GB is enough space for me. I do a lot of photography and design work, and while I can offload that to my Drobo when it's ready for archiving, I still regularly have more files on my local HDD then that space would allow at a given time. I wish the Lenovo site would let you upgrade the HDD to the 500GB with the extra micro drive that the twist offers.

micuioss

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Asus transformer book has hard drive build in on keyboard dock. but probably won't release until next year.
others options:
I core, full hd:
Acer w700 , $800 base price
Samsung ativ smartpc pro , $1,200
Sony vaio duo 11 slider, $1,100
dell xps duo 12, $1,200
Asus taichi

btw you can increase memory by using usb reader /adapter (for microsd or sdcard and if you don't mind usb hang on the side), or connect usb to external hdd

I core, not full hd:
toshiba u925t
Lenovo yoga 13

Last edited:

Tafkas373

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You could also consider getting an "old" ThinkPad x2??t and upgrade manually. You may get a good deal on real powerhouses (i7 or i5 for example) that are exceptionally well built. Plus you'd get multitouch - look out, there may be some without - and a stylus, but bad battery compared to Atoms and quite a bit of bulk. Depending on where you live, the price tag might be 50% of a yoga, though.

If you're just looking for a laptop, you can't get anything better than a yoga right now though. Look at one in real life, your concerns will vanish (mine did) - they put the keys a bit below the surface of the surrounding bezel, so you can't accidentally press them and the whole thing seems very well built. I'm gonna buy a tablet though, because I don't need another laptop.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The transformer book looks really cool, but I doubt it will be out by the time I need to buy a new computer. All the rumors I saw are for Q1 2013 and I need it this holiday season.

I'm thinking right now it will have to be the Yoga. I did go check it out at BB and it looked really nice. I played around with it for maybe 10 minutes and was uncomfortable the entire time because the employee would just not go away, he kept hovering behind me... but regardless, very nice machine.

I'm going to try and wait for them to release the 13's with the 256gb SSD, which hopefully will be soon. I also found a relatively cheap NAS solution which should solve my storage concerns :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb