Surface or Acer Iconia W510-1674

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, this has been a week to eat my words. First I said I wasn't going to WP8 just yet; yesterday I walked out of Best Buy Mobile with a Nokia 822. Today I said I would probably be home from work before my Surface was delivered. Wrong, UPS delivered it at 1:52pm. Now my wife thinks I shouldn't get to play with the Surface until her iPad comes in. She must be crazy!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol, I bought my wife the new full size iPad that I won't give her until Christmas, while I'm here playing with my new, gift-to-self W510. And last week, she won an iPad Mini at her company holiday party! I'm gonna try to commandeer that!

@Ridemyscooter86, you pretty much summed up my reasons for getting the W510. I felt the Ativ Smart PC was too un-tablet like at 11.6", and Clover Trail has performed better than expected. I reclaimed the recovery partition space, which opened up ~8 gb more disk space. With a microSD and cloud storage, I think it all good.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

dbuch

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
If they had NFC, I would have already purchased a Surface. I want to easily be able to transfer files from a phone, which all have NFC, to a table even when I don't have WiFi or other connectivity.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
If they had NFC, I would have already purchased a Surface. I want to easily be able to transfer files from a phone, which all have NFC, to a table even when I don't have WiFi or other connectivity.

Why not plug in via the USB cable to do that?

WindowsizMeth

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Your exactly right when you plug external devices in, the minimum your going to get is a charge to most phones because of the ARM Processor. It all depends on the qualifying questions to choose between the two. The Iconia is great because it has an Intel Atom Processor which will allow you to pretty much do what ever you want, replacing your laptop. The Surface is intuitive because it comes with a keyboard, also its cover and pre-installed programs such as, Office Home and Student and Flash. In the long run, you may not need to download most programs because of apps replacing them. So if syncing your phone is all your worried about wait for the Surface Pro!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol, I bought my wife the new full size iPad that I won't give her until Christmas, while I'm here playing with my new, gift-to-self W510. And last week, she won an iPad Mini at her company holiday party! I'm gonna try to commandeer that!

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Here's the aforementioned Mini next to my W510 :)
a8ejyzar.jpg

@dbuch, Like ARod said, just use Skydrive to sync w/Surface. Dropbox works, too. No official Win Store DB client, but there are 3rd party apps. Or the desktop app if you get an x86 tablet. I use both, and Google Drive, to sync stuff between the iPad, W510 and my Galaxy S3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ya I noticed the search in windows store has to match pretty much match exactly what you type.. If its off slightly it won't find it.. They need to do some work on fixing that so it pulls up apps that are a close match as well.. Anyway glad you found the app. Enjoy.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Bugbog

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I got over any desire to run legacy apps on a Windows 8 tablet when I owned the Acer W500. I tried running a couple of magazine readers, but quickly found they were unusable for touch, meaning I required a Metro app.

Surface is all Good!

Ishaqi

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mark,

I am looking to buy a convertible tablet and was looking at the acer iconia range/ Does the W500 or W510 have a desktop mode where i could install the legacy apps?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786