My (Google)Tablet Dilemma

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey all!

I am still a tablet virgin. Been holding off for awhile now trying to decide which is best for me. I really had my sights set on a Windows Pro. I recently just got a huge promotion at work which has changed a lot of things for me, including my tablet decision making.

Unfortunately, my company relies heavily on Google . All our email, calenders, contacts, and several other aspects of our tech are all based on Google. I am a weekend warrior and take my work home with me most nights/weekends. It mainly consists of email and researching information. The reason I had my sights on a Pro or even an RT is because I love the idea of leaving my bulky company issued laptop at work and using the keyboard on the Pro or RT to answer emails at home.

We all know Microsoft's ongoing battle with Google and how they don't play nice with each other. I thought about just buying a cheap Android based tablet but then I wouldn't have the input of the keyboard.

So my questions are: What is Google email like on W8 tablets? Have you guys had decent luck with it or is it not very reliable? Is there anyway to push Google mail through instantly using Microsoft Exchange? That is how my company iPhone is set up and it works great (and yes I have a Nokia 920 for my personal phone :wink:)

Just looking for some advice and information from you current owners before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks in advance.

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If I am not really interested in anything other than email and web browsing would a RT still work decent with our Google based email/calander/contacts etc?

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
If your company is a paid Google Apps account you'll still have EAS after the cutoff. You shouldn't have any issues with adding your work account to your Windows tablet.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm pretty sure that google docs works just fine in IE10 for win RT. Haven't tried it yet, but on my windows 8 tablet, my email, calendar, people, all those things sync fine with google. Whats funny about the whole war with M$ and Google is that Google can be a dick all they want to windows phone users because we only make up like 3% of the marketshare, but Windows 8 accounts for too many people and they couldn't cut off their services to windows users without going bankrupt lol. But the best part about technology in general these day, with things like iOS, OSX, Win8/winRT/WP8,android, chrome OS, BB, is that most things sync up easily with each other, so I really haven't had issues on an iphone syncing with outlook mail and a windows phone synching up with gmail. It suck that eas isn't supported by google, but imap still works, and I bet that M$ will cave in and end up supporting carddav / caldav just to add another feature, they may not, who knows? EAS competes with them, so maybe not...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon