Anybody else holding out for AMD powered tablets?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

As the thread titles suggest I'm holding out for AMD powered tablet, I really like the AMD and I think they got something good stirring up like the Jaguar architecture. They also produce great budget APU as well for example AMD A10-5800k around ?100.

But to get back onto the topic I'm holding out for AMD to release a tablet, the manufacture doesn't bother me much I have a few in mind that I would like to see make a tablet with AMD inside.

The main would be NOKIA, Microsoft, SONY, Dell, gigabyte etc.

Anyone else waiting to see what happens?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I built my computer over a year ago using an AMD chip and ATI graphics card. It ran nice, could play all the latest games and was inexpensive. In many ways I wish that AMD was more of a juggernaut because it's hard to match their price/quality. Unfortunately, AMD is a company that's on life support. It seems like as soon as AMD comes out with a new chip, competitors immediately come out with a better one. Plus, AMD failed to establish a brand name around any of their chips like Intel did with their i-series. PC Pro also has a great article detailing several of AMD's mishaps and Intel's illegal activity. I really hope that AMD stays afloat so that there remains another major chip maker to battle Intel. Luckily, AMD should get a major boost thanks to the PS4 and many rumors point to the next Xbox going AMD as well.

As for choosing AMD for mobile. I think AMD has to show that their new chips are definitively better than the new Tegra and Atom chips. If they can produce another price/quality combo then I could see myself going AMD again. But that all depends on what chip the Surface 2 uses. :wink:

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would if AMD could ever get their **** together. The problem with AMD is not that they don't make good products as I love their apu's its they never get them out on time. Bulldozer wasn't very good because by the time they made a competitor to the last gen intel core i7's, intel comes out with another generation and they are already better. Same thing in some cases with their mobile too, the new z series chipsets look very good, now where are they? Intel hat atom processors out day 1 of windows 8 launch, why didn't AMD? See, thats their problem, they never can make important release dates. This is also why the macbook airs aren't using them either because apparently they were supposed to use the e350 but since amd couldn't manufacture them or get them out fast enough apple went with core i5 ulv. I would have bought an amd tablet over intel, but since I would be still waiting to have a tablet, I decided to buy mine with an atom...

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah on one hand Temash looks awesome and destroys the current Intel Atom Clovertrail x86 tablet chip.

On the other hand, no products with Temash's predecessor - Hondo - have actually hit the shelves yet (i.e. long overdue Vizio tablet).

So, likely by the time a Temash product hits the shelves we will also see Intel Atom Bay Trail x86 chips and Haswell-Y chips. Can the Temash compete with those? We will see.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I've never had good luck with AMD. My experience is that they are inconsistent and get incredibly hot! I dont see myself going back.

That being said, competition is always good! Id love to try out an AMD powered Win8 machine!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
AMD can't write drivers worth a damn, so even if their hardware was *good* I still wouldn't be seen owning an ATI powered product. I have fond memories of my Athlon64, which was AMD's last good product line (and that was like 2006).

Imo AMD exists to "compete" with other companies so prices stay in check and there would be two monopolies without them... But where performance is a concern I can't recommend them.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I can wait mainly because I saving up for car insurance and all other types of stuff mainly involving the car so it will be next year when I'll be able to purchase a tablet and with a bit of luck AMD should release a tablet sometime before Christmas or before I start looking to buy a tablet next year.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
My last few PCs have used AMD CPUs and ATI/AMD graphics cards and I have never had a problem with them. Sure Intel makes more powerful chips but they also cost significantly more than AMD chips if you go to the high end.

I'm not really into overclocking anymore, but AMD chips were also easier to work with in that regard.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
My last few PCs have used AMD CPUs and ATI/AMD graphics cards and I have never had a problem with them. Sure Intel makes more powerful chips but they also cost significantly more than AMD chips if you go to the high end.

I'm not really into overclocking anymore, but AMD chips were also easier to work with in that regard.

'Competence' isn't exactly a glowing praise :)
As for Intel being more expensive, well that was true in 2006. The sad truth is for the last few years Intel has been beating AMD in raw power AND cost effective bang for your buck. Intel chips have a proprietary overclock that is now enabled by default, and there is nothing inhibiting power user custom over clocking anymore.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
'Competence' isn't exactly a glowing praise :)
As for Intel being more expensive, well that was true in 2006. The sad truth is for the last few years Intel has been beating AMD in raw power AND cost effective bang for your buck. Intel chips have a proprietary overclock that is now enabled by default, and there is nothing inhibiting power user custom over clocking anymore.

I will have too disagree with all of that statement because I'm a AMD ****** and PRIDE TO BE ONE!

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not, the Atom is pretty good already and the next generation that is out soon is supposed to be even better. Enough processing power to do what I need, and the battery will last 10 hours.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not, the Atom is pretty good already and the next generation that is out soon is supposed to be even better. Enough processing power to do what I need, and the battery will last 10 hours.

The next gen atoms are going to be release soon nothing to do with AMD :crying:

What taking you so long to get to the party?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I know it has nothing to do with AMD, which is why I said "No, I'm not holding out for AMD powered tablets"

Whoops sorry about that should have read it better and explain myself little bit more I was going off topic about the Intel atom, read it on a tech site.

The new atom could be a winner if they increase the performance while keeping the charge to what it is now.

I also heard it will be 22nm very cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea