Acer Iconia W3-810 sale at Office Depot

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm strongly considering picking one of these up as they're on sale now through the 20th. $299.99 for the 32 GB and $349.99 for the 64 GB. A pretty unexpected and fairly significant discount for a tablet that just came out a few weeks ago. It's actually $80 off the regular price, which happens to be the exact cost of the keyboard dock if you're in the market for one of those as well. Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else is intrigued by these:

The 32: Acer ICONIA W3 810 81 Windows 8 Tablet 32GB by Office Depot
The 64: Acer ICONIA W3 810 81 Windows 8 Tablet 64GB by Office Depot

A nice review from Engadget as well: Acer Iconia W3 review: what's it like using Windows on an 8-inch tablet?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Office Depot has THE WORST return policy out of any store that it competes with. I stay away from them as much as humanly possible.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm strongly considering picking one of these up as they're on sale now through the 20th. $299.99 for the 32 GB and $349.99 for the 64 GB. A pretty unexpected and fairly significant discount for a tablet that just came out a few weeks ago. It's actually $80 off the regular price, which happens to be the exact cost of the keyboard dock if you're in the market for one of those as well. Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else is intrigued by these:

The 32: Acer ICONIA W3 810 81 Windows 8 Tablet 32GB by Office Depot
The 64: Acer ICONIA W3 810 81 Windows 8 Tablet 64GB by Office Depot

A nice review from Engadget as well: Acer Iconia W3 review: what's it like using Windows on an 8-inch tablet?

Did you get one? I was thinking about it, despite the generally poor reviews about the screen. Some said the screen isn't THAT bad...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I've had one about 2 weeks now. Bought one from an attendee for the SF conference. I love it; came with the keyboard. The screen is not bad at all especially if you use the keyboard fixed position of the tablet. I got the 64 Gbyte version.

Bought it to replace my wife's 4 year old HP Mini; she turned up her nose at Win 8 so I have a new play toy.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've had one about 2 weeks now. Bought one from an attendee for the SF conference. I love it; came with the keyboard. The screen is not bad at all especially if you use the keyboard fixed position of the tablet. I got the 64 Gbyte version.

Bought it to replace my wife's 4 year old HP Mini; she turned up her nose at Win 8 so I have a new play toy.

I'm so torn between this and a Nexus 7 (new model)...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
They had one on display yesterday, without the keyboard dock. I have to say, the comments re: the screen are right on the money. I can't believe this is a device made in 2013. Simply awful. Maybe I'm spoiled with my Surface Pro and 920/1020. Whatever the reason, it's a deal breaker for me. I do love the size though. I would kill for a high-end device in this size. Core i3, HD screen, etc. I'm so concerned that the Windows tablet market will be small device=bad specs, larger device=good specs.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
They had one on display yesterday, without the keyboard dock. I have to say, the comments re: the screen are right on the money. I can't believe this is a device made in 2013. Simply awful. Maybe I'm spoiled with my Surface Pro and 920/1020. Whatever the reason, it's a deal breaker for me. I do love the size though. I would kill for a high-end device in this size. Core i3, HD screen, etc. I'm so concerned that the Windows tablet market will be small device=bad specs, larger device=good specs.

Well, I am sitting here with my Nexus 7. Initial impressions/feelings: I really DO like Windows 8 better. I forgot how dull and unintuitive Android was, at least for me. I plan on giving it a good workout. Though if you validated the screen problem opinions then there isn't much choice yet with smaller Windows 8 tablets.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, I am sitting here with my Nexus 7. Initial impressions/feelings: I really DO like Windows 8 better. I forgot how dull and unintuitive Android was, at least for me. I plan on giving it a good workout. Though if you validated the screen problem opinions then there isn't much choice yet with smaller Windows 8 tablets.

Yes, the screen isn't HD but I don't have a problem with it. For what I use it for (no gaming), I don't miss a better resolution screen. Before you take someone else's word, go take a look at the screen and the overall system. You might be surprised.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The only place locally that has one (and hopefully on display) is Office Depot, so I may have my Nexus 7 ready for exchange. I'll call to see if they have one on display and then check it out. Holding it in various angels, checking out text quality and such.

I went with the Nexus 7 for now.

I will say, the Nexus 7 is a joy to read on, especially the native Feedly app. Nothing in the Windows Store (or WP8 store) comes close, so it is for sure a good reading device. I also like it that I can sit it on my Nokia charging pad and charge it that way. It is quite a speedy device, easy to hold and the screen is quite sharp. There is some glare issues for sure so I have to angel it just right.
But for $70 more, I can get an RT device for my media consumption as well. Sure, not the 7-8" range I was looking for but keeps me in the ecosystem of choice, even though RT is uncertain.

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought one the week they came out. I love it. Exactly what I was looking for. I don't think the reviews were very accurate. The screen is not the greatest but I use it as a work tool so I was more interested in getting a full win8 tablet that would run normal applications and at this price I don't think you can beat it. I installed my full office 2010 suite complete with powerpoint and outlook. Battery life is great and the speed is pretty good. Replaced my blackberry playbook with it since bbry chose not to go through with the OS upgrade for the playbooks. Only thing I have an issue with is the Wi-Fi isn't the greatest and depending on hand placement it will drop or have low signal strength. Still waiting on my official keyboard and case for it but I have another BT keyboard that I use that works just fine.

aeschylus

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm usually not picky about these things but I definitely recommend looking at the screen on one of these before buying. The viewing angles are terrible and even looking at it head on it reminded me of my last phone that had a resistive touch screen about 5 years ago.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I went and looked at it. While not as bad as expected, the dots and grain, especially when white, were distracting. I really wanted to walk out with one but I could a wait perhaps 6 months for something better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I bought one the week they came out. I love it. Exactly what I was looking for. I don't think the reviews were very accurate. The screen is not the greatest but I use it as a work tool so I was more interested in getting a full win8 tablet that would run normal applications and at this price I don't think you can beat it. I installed my full office 2010 suite complete with powerpoint and outlook. Battery life is great and the speed is pretty good. Replaced my blackberry playbook with it since bbry chose not to go through with the OS upgrade for the playbooks. Only thing I have an issue with is the Wi-Fi isn't the greatest and depending on hand placement it will drop or have low signal strength. Still waiting on my official keyboard and case for it but I have another BT keyboard that I use that works just fine.

How are you "adjusting" to the dotty/grainy screen, especially in white?

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I thought about picking one up, but I decided to get a new Nexus 7 until the Surface mini comes out and I'll decide from there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
How are you "adjusting" to the dotty/grainy screen, especially in white?

For what I use it for it's fine. I want a 7-8" tablet and I want win8 pro so at this price I'm willing to accept the lower graphics. I'm sure next year there will be something better for the same price. If I really need HD or better display it has HDMI out so I hook it up to my monitor or TV.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah, its why I didn't buy one, was because of the screen. I'm not crazy over 1280 X 800 resolution, but on an 8 inch it doesn't bother me. My problem with the screen is the washed out colors and the viewing angles. Luckily, acer said they are going to try to come out with a new model thats a little slimmer and have a better ips display, from what I've heard with rumors.

BTW, microcenter is selling them for the exact same price too, go there if you don't like office depot. I personally think they are the best electronics/computer store ever!!!!

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the W3 when it first launched and it's a useful little guy. I don't do any actual work on it. I use it more to watch movies and shows while on my lunch hour. The bonus part is that I can do work if I need to since it comes with Office and it's Windows 8 (full version).

Yeah the display is not the best, but I already knew that when I purchasing.

For what it is, it's a great device. I do recommend getting the 64GB model instead of the 32GB. You are left with nothing after you do updated and install Office.

Since it does have a microSD slot, you can always add more storage.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm still tempted at $329...though I know better ones will be here by Christmas...just tired of the battery drain on my Surface Pro when it comes to "consuming" with it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb