Should I wait or buy a tablet now

Droya

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well the question is obvious.I want to buy a tablet.Got a destkop right now but this year i will go to college and i thougt it might be helpful for me to carry a tablet with me.I mean for studying or surfing on the internet.I think I won't play games on it as i'm going to buy ps4 this year.
So there are discussions about new tablets from nokia which is thought to be released about september or october.What do you think? Should I wait for them or buy one right now.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Depends if you need one right now or later. If you can wait, the technology will be better and there will be more alternatives. Also, the price will most likely be lower for the same tablet if you buy it later in time.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I am an owner of the Surface Pro. I love the device and even knowing it is a full PC, the batter life is discouraging when trying to use this as a tablet. I would day pick up a Surface RT but I just do not know where RT is going, IMO. The Lenovo Lynx has Full Windows 8 in a tablet format but I've heard the 2GB memory limitation hurts it. The Nexus 7 is a great reader but it's Android and again, IMO, I feel Android is "messy."

Droya

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well i'm making research about them right now and acer w510 seems great with its battery performance.What do you think?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well i can wait about two or three months so it seems it is better to wait right?
Thanks for the suggestions btw

Hang on for those two months, the next gen of Atom chips called Bay Trail will be announced next month with better performance than the one in the W510 so we should see some new product announcements and at the very least the 510 will go down substantially in price then making it a better buy.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah since its so close to 8.1 coming out manufactures will probably have some new, better hardware coming out. So if you don't have an itchy buying finger then I would wait.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah since its so close to 8.1 coming out manufactures will probably have some new, better hardware coming out. So if you don't have an itchy buying finger then I would wait.

I agree...I've been itching to get another tablet with a longer battery life than my Surface Pro to compliment it (for consumption) and came close to getting an RT or even the horrible screened Iconia W3. But I think patience will pay off here...(I say this as a Surface RT is queued up and waiting in my Shopping Cart online...ha)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A lot depends on what you want to do now and what you want to do in the future. If you're into tablet games then you definitely want to wait for the next wave of tablets this fall. Whether you're going Haswell or Tegra 4, the performance boost will be well worth it. If you're looking for something to just stay connected with the outside world, email, web, Skype, cloud storage, etc, then get a tablet now.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
A lot depends on what you want to do now and what you want to do in the future. If you're into tablet games then you definitely want to wait for the next wave of tablets this fall. Whether you're going Haswell or Tegra 4, the performance boost will be well worth it. If you're looking for something to just stay connected with the outside world, email, web, Skype, cloud storage, etc, then get a tablet now.

Well since he said he wouldn't be doing gaming on it you recommend buying one now. However I would have to disagree with you. In a couple of months, a surface rt and surface pro 2 will be released which means the current surface prices will be dropped probably around the order of a $100 to $200. And probably other tablets that newer models will be coming out. If we were back in April, May, or even June I would say go for it but since we are so close to 8.1 there will be new devices coming out soon and prices of existing tablets will be dropped.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd say wait till after Nokias upcoming event in September they are rumored to announce a tablet and phones and maybe cheaper with better processors

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I may get crucified for bringing this up again but the best bang for the buck is still the Acer Iconia W500. They originally were loaded with Win 7 but most people have upgraded them to Win 8 Pro. The SSD is upgradable and the best part; they can be had on the cheap. I personally own one and can vouch that it is a great machine. I'd bet you could pick one up from Craigslist for around $230 - $250 with Win 8 Pro already loaded. Just make sure you get the Win 8 activiation key from the seller.

Though the newer tablets are just a bit faster and get a little better battery life (not much mind you), I feel they are overpriced. Even with the current price drops. The option above gets a tablet in your hand and lets you keep some green in your pocket.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have both the W500 & the W510, the 510 battery is in a different league to the 500, plus the 500 gets hot and has a fan. Not better in my book.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have both the W500 & the W510, the 510 battery is in a different league to the 500, plus the 500 gets hot and has a fan. Not better in my book.

Nobody said it was better. I said it was still the best bang for the buck in my opinion. The W500's hardware is several years old. I'm not even sure when it was released. My guess would be 2010 or 11.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Wait for the next gen, it will be out in October with windows 8.1 and performance will double with most arm and Intel tablets!

Look for one of the below processors and you will get a much faster tablet:

Intel Bay Trail (x64)
Intel Haswell (x64)
AMD Tamesh (x64)
NVIDIA Tegra 4 (ARM)
Qualcomm 800 (ARM)

Insti Gator

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I may get crucified for bringing this up again but the best bang for the buck is still the Acer Iconia W500.

I would actually agree with you on this! I bought an Iconia W500 running Win8 from a guy on Craigslist for $200 and it actually beats out all the modern tablets running atom processors. Windows experience index has the W500 ahead in every category except processor speed where the Atom tabs are only a few ticks faster.

The W500 has a SSD which is sooooo much faster than flash memory.
It has 2GB of DDR3, I can't believe majority of new tabs still run DDR2 (hardware compatibility limitation?)
It has AMD's "APU" processor so it has dedicated graphics built onto the processor and runs real games like COD and crysis albeit on lowest settings. Atom can't touch.
It has 2 full size USB ports and full size HDMI out, no adapters necessary.

But battery life suffers at 4ish hours.

It's also a bit heavy but meh. It comes with a clever keyboard attachment as well.

Just some info

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234