Which external hard drive? S2...

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
So I currently own a Microsoft surface 2, of the rt variant. I really want to expand memory for photos and videos etc. I have my mind set between two external hard drives: Seagate Expansion 1tb Portable OR the Desktop version. The only difference is that the portable version is a 2.5" disk running off USB power, and the desktop version is a 3.5" standard size hard drive disk running off of an a/c adaptors power. The real question is, with my USB 2.0 hub, will my surface be able to power the portable hard drive? Or would it be safer to buy the hard drive that runs off of an external power source. They are very close in price, so that isn't an issue. I will entertain anyone's $0.02

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I don't know about that USB hub, but I think the original RT in my posession powered my 500 GB portable drive (also Seagate)
If it were my decision, I'd just get the portable one for the sake of convienience, but I can't say for sure the 2 will power it. I'm sure someone with either better memory, experience, or an actual 2 will come along.

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
The hub is an amazonbasics 4 port hub. It was tested with a hard drive, and apparently it worked fine. I mean convenience is to one as it is another, I personally wont be moving it because I have my surface set up as a PC (that's another story). Anyways I just hope there's people that were once in my shoes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720