Microsoft ending surface tablet line?

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Not true at all. It's believed they are killing the arm based Surface but the Intel based Surface (Surface Pro 3) is alive and well.
Nadella made that crystal clear yesterday. The quote was believed to be referencing this very story which started on another website, there's more to the quote but the main thrust is:
"Microsoft is putting its full and sustained support behind the ongoing Surface program as one of a number of great hardware choices for businesses large and small."

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Journalism is dead. Microsoft refuted that dubious claim yesterday but "journalists" refuse to update their stories so they keep getting hits. BS story.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I expect that Microsoft will drop ARM-based Surface tablets at some point because lower cost Intel-based tablets can run x86 Windows just fine. Also, it has been confusing as heck for consumers, who see that it runs Windows so they expect it should be able to run stuff like QuickBooks and whatever other x86 applications they have on their desk or laptop.

It's a non-issue because the ARM tablets could only install software from the Store. Every single app in the Windows Store that runs on ARM devices will also run on x86 devices.

If Microsoft releases a "Surface 3" that is in reality the same hardware as the Surface Pro 3 but with slightly lesser specs, non-Pro edition of Windows, and more oriented to consumers, why would anyone specifically wish that it had an ARM processor instead?

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sadly I agree, I think the Surface RT, Surface 2, and the Nokia Lumia 2520, will all be the last of the Windows RT space, I think that is a hugh mistake, I hope we get at least Windows RT 10, but if not my Surface RT 64G, will live on...

What I was really interested in the statement that they will continue to support the Surface Pro 3 and the accessories of the Surface Pro 3 will work with the next generation version of the Pro... But they did not say the existing Surface Pro/Pro 2 version... I like the ten inch version, wish they made a Surface Pro 3 ten inch... I do not want twelve inch... I want smaller like an eight inch would be great... That means that maybe Surface Pro/Pro2 might not be able to run the next version of Windows? and the accessories will not be compatible to the new generation pro?

Here is a perfect Surface eight inch, with Quad or Eight Core CPU, with eight Gig of ram, with eight hundred Gig SSD, with HDMI mini and DVI port, two USB 3, Micro-SD, Pen Support, Come with a keyboard (Touch or Type, your choice of color, which matches the devices uni-body color)...

Really what I would love is a custom creation, a web site that lets me decide the specs and they custom build the Surface to my Specs (eight, ten, or twelve inch)... (Kind of like a car)...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sadly I agree, I think the Surface RT, Surface 2, and the Nokia Lumia 2520, will all be the last of the Windows RT space, I think that is a hugh mistake,

But what's the point of an RT tablet? A tablet with full Windows can do everything an RT tablet can, plus 10x more. And price probably isn't an issue anymore since lots of OEMs are producing Windows tablets.

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
But what's the point of an RT tablet? A tablet with full Windows can do everything an RT tablet can, plus 10x more. And price probably isn't an issue anymore since lots of OEMs are producing Windows tablets.

To me the point of Windows RT was a tablet that could be a laptop when needed (office RT 2013), because it can not run x86, no virus/malware, plus full IE, if I just wanted a tablet (choose your tablet here IPAD/ANDROID/WEBOS/BLACKBERRY etc...) I wanted something different something that was what I thought the Surface RT was a hybrid device, one that is mostly a tablet, with a laptop side to it as well... Really it has replaced my Windows XP Laptop very well... Use it everyday... If I want a full laptop I would have bought one (they are cheaper and can do so much more), after playing with a Encore 7 inch (1G ram, 16SSD w/windows 8.1/bing) I would never touch a cheap Windows tablet again....

Microsoft had something special, although I am not sure if their blog means the end, I can read between the lines...

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
To me the point of Windows RT was a tablet that could be a laptop when needed (office RT 2013), because it can not run x86, no virus/malware, plus full IE, if I just wanted a tablet (choose your tablet here IPAD/ANDROID/WEBOS/BLACKBERRY etc...) I wanted something different something that was what I thought the Surface RT was a hybrid device, one that is mostly a tablet, with a laptop side to it as well... Really it has replaced my Windows XP Laptop very well... Use it everyday... If I want a full laptop I would have bought one (they are cheaper and can do so much more), after playing with a Encore 7 inch (1G ram, 16SSD w/windows 8.1/bing) I would never touch a cheap Windows tablet again....

Microsoft had something special, although I am not sure if their blog means the end, I can read between the lines...
I agree. The Surface RT is an exceptional device. I love that it's completely virus proof. I love the low cost. I love the excellent display. I love the micro-SD slot. I love the hardware "click-in" keyboard - sooo much better than Bluetooth on my iPad2. I don't mind that it doesn't run x86 Windows programs. I love the desktop and file management. The inclusion of some of the most important utility desktop programs like Remote Desktop, Notepad, Paint, Photo Viewer, Calculator, and of course Office RT is fantastic. I love that I had to do absolutely nothing in order for it to work with a network printer/scanner, NAS, and my desktop shared files.

Windows RT was a huge wake-up call for Intel. Indeed from what I've read this was a large part of the intention when it was designed and built. Intel has stepped up to the plate and delivered on the low power consumption chips that were not an option when Microsoft was developing their initial modern Tablet offering.

Sadly, now that Intel has delivered in such spectacular fashion, I don't see a future for Windows RT. I hope that we get Windows 10 for it because I really love my 64 G Surface tablet. And competition is always good for innovation and for customers. Competition at the chip/CPU level is good for everyone. Unfortunately unless the Windows Store and native "Metro" style apps take off with the design of Windows 10 I don't see RT having a future. Buyers want to be able to run desktop programs.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

This.

I was hoping that Microsoft would've begun to remove the enterprise-level subsystems out of RT... reducing the footprint, reducing the complexity, improving performance, improving stability, and really make it a lean-n-mean version of Windows. That's the role that Windows RT could've had.

​I hoped for too much.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
RT was a great idea but caused too many issues for the non texhy user base. They saw windows and wanted windows, but got something less. I like the concept myself, bit they should not have called it windows, but Microsoft tablet or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786