Vote for the Best Windows 8 Tablet, excluding the Surface Lines

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I currently own a Surface Pro 3 i7 model. I love it, but I would like a smaller more portable device. What are the best options out there? What would give me my biggest bang for my dollar?

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I put in both Dell Venue's.
Now my reasoning:

I hold them as one of the better bang-for-buck deals in both their respective fields. I'd be reluctant to compare an 8" tablet to something larger however.

The Venue 8 Pro has good battery life and I often see it available for lower prices, new, secondhand, or refurbished/open box. That is my perception however, it could be outdated though. It has an active digitizer, so while not Wacom tech, its been fixed up since launch. Dont know if I'd be willing to draw with it though. Still a solid device. It definitely has its own quirks though.

If you want a Wacom digitizer, the Vivotab Note 8 is a fine option though. I find most 8" tablets to be similar under the hood with smaller differences between them.

The 11 Pro is my vote for bang-for-buck in the larger sector. I could say it fits in as a "poor man's Surface Pro" but its more defined than just a cheaper Surface. Starts at the cheapest Bay-Trail model and goes up to an Core i7 processor. (dont know how well it'll stack up against the Surface Pro 3's i7.) The choice of a laptop-esque dock, an imitation type cover, a user-replaceable battery (big one for me) etc. and it still doesn't cost as much, although the accessories aren't exactly cheap and it doesn't feel or look quite as nice. (IMHO)

Other options to consider are the Lenovo Miix tablets, and the ThinkPad 10. Don't know about bang-for-buck but other ones are worth a look.
Another thing is last gen tablets. While CloverTrail Atoms aren't very good in terms of performance, the hardware can sometimes be found for cheap, especially if the hardware design and peripherals compensate. (Thinking of the Dell Latitude 10, Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2)
(sometimes an older high end device is better than a new cheap one if the price is the same)
The original Surface Pro might be a good idea, although personally I'd balk at the battery life and lack of repairability like the other Pro's and many other tablets.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I put in both Dell Venue's.
Now my reasoning:

I hold them as one of the better bang-for-buck deals in both their respective fields. I'd be reluctant to compare an 8" tablet to something larger however.

The Venue 8 Pro has good battery life and I often see it available for lower prices, new, secondhand, or refurbished/open box. That is my perception however, it could be outdated though. It has an active digitizer, so while not Wacom tech, its been fixed up since launch. Dont know if I'd be willing to draw with it though. Still a solid device. It definitely has its own quirks though.

If you want a Wacom digitizer, the Vivotab Note 8 is a fine option though. I find most 8" tablets to be similar under the hood with smaller differences between them.

The 11 Pro is my vote for bang-for-buck in the larger sector. I could say it fits in as a "poor man's Surface Pro" but its more defined than just a cheaper Surface. Starts at the cheapest Bay-Trail model and goes up to an Core i7 processor. (dont know how well it'll stack up against the Surface Pro 3's i7.) The choice of a laptop-esque dock, an imitation type cover, a user-replaceable battery (big one for me) etc. and it still doesn't cost as much, although the accessories aren't exactly cheap and it doesn't feel or look quite as nice. (IMHO)

Other options to consider are the Lenovo Miix tablets, and the ThinkPad 10. Don't know about bang-for-buck but other ones are worth a look.
Another thing is last gen tablets. While CloverTrail Atoms aren't very good in terms of performance, the hardware can sometimes be found for cheap, especially if the hardware design and peripherals compensate. (Thinking of the Dell Latitude 10, Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2)
(sometimes an older high end device is better than a new cheap one if the price is the same)
The original Surface Pro might be a good idea, although personally I'd balk at the battery life and lack of repairability like the other Pro's and many other tablets.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm really torn between getting an older system at a good price vs waiting for the new devices to be released. The Venue 8 Pro sounds pretty enticing.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Good question. I also have SP3 and it is fantastic. But I agree it is a bit big so having an 8" tablet is a great supplement for around the house. I have had the Surface Pro 1,2 and 3 and Surface RT and 2. I also have the Dell Venue pro 8 32gb and 64gb. I recently wanted to make a change so I sold my Surface 2 on ebay, gave the DV8's to my kids and purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad 8. I got it on ebay for a good deal. Look there now and you can find a bunch of Microsoft Signature versions which I feel are always the best bet for any computer.

The Lenovo is a sold upgrade from the Dell Venue 8 Pro. Here is my reason why:
- full HD display. Especially if you have an SP3 you will appreciate true HD
- very thin and the quick shot cover adds very little bulk, I like that very much. The covers available for the DV8 also cover the front and back making the machine much more bulky
- 8.3" screen even though it sounds close the an 8" screen gives you much more viewing realistate.
- USB 3.0
- HDMI out.

Also if you do get something else don't opt for a 32gb version. IMO it caused issues on usability. I always had issues on my 32gb DV8 because even if I had a SD card in it which I always did to download new movies etc you need to have the free space on the machine hard drive to download them. After they are downloaded to the cDrive they then get transferred to the SD card. I have a few times where I had to delete some larger Apps to allow for room to download content. 64 GB is much better and has eliminated that issue for me.

IMO the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 is the best 8" tablet on the market and the right choice to fill the gap left by the SP3.

Good luck in your hunt. Let us know what you get.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Good question. I also have SP3 and it is fantastic. But I agree it is a bit big so having an 8" tablet is a great supplement for around the house. I have had the Surface Pro 1,2 and 3 and Surface RT and 2. I also have the Dell Venue pro 8 32gb and 64gb. I recently wanted to make a change so I sold my Surface 2 on ebay, gave the DV8's to my kids and purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad 8. I got it on ebay for a good deal. Look there now and you can find a bunch of Microsoft Signature versions which I feel are always the best bet for any computer.

The Lenovo is a sold upgrade from the Dell Venue 8 Pro. Here is my reason why:
- full HD display. Especially if you have an SP3 you will appreciate true HD
- very thin and the quick shot cover adds very little bulk, I like that very much. The covers available for the DV8 also cover the front and back making the machine much more bulky
- 8.3" screen even though it sounds close the an 8" screen gives you much more viewing realistate.
- USB 3.0
- HDMI out.

Also if you do get something else don't opt for a 32gb version. IMO it caused issues on usability. I always had issues on my 32gb DV8 because even if I had a SD card in it which I always did to download new movies etc you need to have the free space on the machine hard drive to download them. After they are downloaded to the cDrive they then get transferred to the SD card. I have a few times where I had to delete some larger Apps to allow for room to download content. 64 GB is much better and has eliminated that issue for me.

IMO the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 is the best 8" tablet on the market and the right choice to fill the gap left by the SP3.

Good luck in your hunt. Let us know what you get.

Thanks! I think you just about have me sold on the Lenovo ThinkPad 8. It sounds like a sweet deal, and it helps knowing that you have owned a bunch of the others. I personally have owned all the Surface's from RT to Pro, but sold them all except for my SP3 i7. I really liked the Surface 2, but wished I could install x86 apps on it. If only the Surface 2 came with the Atom proc, it would be ideal for me.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, surface 2 is great. I got rid of mine cause I thought it was a bit over the top for me to have 4 tablets, especially since I thave a ThinkPad x1 carbon i7 and a Visio ultrabook as well. My wife has a Surface 2 and it is great. Still hoping for an 8" surface with an integrated kickstand and touch cover but for the time being the ThinkPad 8 is my go to. You wont be disappointed.

Nucking Futs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I also have a SP3 i7 & was looking for a smaller Windows tablet too. For reference, I had a Surface RT but returned it then got a SP2 but sold it once I got the SP3. I bought a couple different 8" tablets recently but unfortunately returned all of them:

- Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: Loved the gorgeous 2560x1600 screen resolution, factory front flip cover case & the $250 sale Best Buy had but decided I prefer Win8.1 over Android for 8+ inch tablets although I prefer Android over WP8 for phones.

- Winbook TW801: Was dirt cheap at $140 (2GB RAM & 32GB config) & had a full size USB 3.0 port but couldn't deal with the lack of touch sensitivity & fragile volume buttons.

- Nvidia Shield Tablet: I don't play games on a tablet but that CPU was getting rave reviews even for non-gaming use. Nice front facing speakers, almost stock/pure Android experience & great factory front flip cover case but hated the on-screen OS buttons & preferred Win8.1 over Android.

In the end, I ordered a Lenovo ThinkPad 8 Signature Edition yesterday due to the FHD screen & slightly faster CPU (vs other Win8.1 8" tablets). Somewhat concerned about the speaker issue but not too much & battery life isn't the greatest but I'd only use it mainly when the SP3 is charging (be it at home or on-site). Thought about the Dell Venue 8 Pro but didn't like the Windows button placement to the side of the tablet & heard it had random WiFi issues. I like the specs of the recently announced Lenovo Yoga 2 (FHD & longer battery life) but not feeling that weird round side especially since I'll be holding it in landscape mode majority of the time.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well I have a bid in for the Lenovo ThinkPad 8. Does it have a GPS? I'm pretty sure that I heard the Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 2 does have a gps. I wish that all the tablets did, would be nice to use for navigation.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My Bid fell through on the Lenovo ThinkPad 8. I'm now leaning towards the Lenovo Miix 2 10". I'm a little concerned about the screen size of the 8" when I want to do things on the desktop. It seems like a hear a lot of complaints about that. I do have some active Ebay bids for the ThinkPad 8, but now I'm leaning heavily towards the Miix 2 10". Any thoughts or reason to shy away from the Miix 2 10"?

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the two of them as well. I went with the thinkpad 8 because it is a tad bigger screen, full HD faster processor much better build quality and what looks like a better cover. I was able to get the thinkpad 8 for about $90 more so I figured it was worth it.

Also it has an hdmi port.

Microsoft signature is a pure version of windows 8 with no bloatware and defender antivirus. The computer runs great just like the surface pro 3. The mix 2 is just like the venue 8 pro. Having had that device I would say the thinkpad 8 is a step up.

If you want a cheap 8" I'm sure the mix 2 will be great but if you like higher spec and classy stuff get the thinkpad 8.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the two of them as well. I went with the thinkpad 8 because it is a tad bigger screen, full HD faster processor much better build quality and what looks like a better cover. I was able to get the thinkpad 8 for about $90 more so I figured it was worth it.

Also it has an hdmi port.

Microsoft signature is a pure version of windows 8 with no bloatware and defender antivirus. The computer runs great just like the surface pro 3. The mix 2 is just like the venue 8 pro. Having had that device I would say the thinkpad 8 is a step up.

If you want a cheap 8" I'm sure the mix 2 will be great but if you like higher spec and classy stuff get the thinkpad 8.
Thank! but I'm actually looking at getting the Lenovo Miix 2 10" tablet, it's a little bigger and has hdmi. I'm a little concerned about how it will feel in my hand though because it has weird edges because of the dock you can get with it. I ordered one for $299 without the dock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs