Any Windows 8.1 apps with turn-by-turn navigation?

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the HP Stream 8 at the MS Store this weekend during their VIP event (25$ off 75$ or more). I actually haven't opened it yet, because I'm still deciding if I should keep it.

One thing the HP Stream 8 seems to have is GPS. I say "seems" because no one at the MS store even knew that it had GPS--- I had to tell them about it and pull up the HP website to show them the specs.

I've loved having HERE Maps and HERE Drive on my Lumia 521 because of the downloadable offline maps. I try not to pay for data since I'm near wi-fi 95% of the time, so it is nice that the GPS works without requiring data.

Although there is a HERE Maps app for Windows 8.1, I haven't been able to find an app that is like HERE Drive, with turn-by-turn navigation.
Is anyone aware of such an app?

Thanks!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I've used CoPilot Live for a few years and like it's turn by turn ability. I think there is a try version on the store.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the HP Stream 8 at the MS Store this weekend during their VIP event (25$ off 75$ or more). I actually haven't opened it yet, because I'm still deciding if I should keep it.

One thing the HP Stream 8 seems to have is GPS. I say "seems" because no one at the MS store even knew that it had GPS--- I had to tell them about it and pull up the HP website to show them the specs.

I've loved having HERE Maps and HERE Drive on my Lumia 521 because of the downloadable offline maps. I try not to pay for data since I'm near wi-fi 95% of the time, so it is nice that the GPS works without requiring data.

Although there is a HERE Maps app for Windows 8.1, I haven't been able to find an app that is like HERE Drive, with turn-by-turn navigation.
Is anyone aware of such an app?

Thanks!

are you telling me that here beta doesn't have a w32 application?

I'm running the beta app my android phone, wIth offline maps fOr a week top revIew letter.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
HERE has an app for W8.1, but it doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation like the WP8.1 HERE DRIVE app does.
I'm sorry, but are those names correct..... here vs heredrive ?

I thought naming one mapping application "here" was dumb, but there are two separate but very similar apps with similar names?

any idea why?

please understand, on the android app it switches (I guess between the two) from one type to the other, just like Google maps vs Google nav vs Google street view does , so I'm familiar with the process but not clear about the naming scheme

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, but are those names correct..... here vs heredrive ?

I thought naming one mapping application "here" was dumb, but there are two separate but very similar apps with similar names?

any idea why?

please understand, on the android app it switches (I guess between the two) from one type to the other, just like Google maps vs Google nav vs Google street view does , so I'm familiar with the process but not clear about the naming scheme

One app is HERE Maps (no nav), another is HERE Drive+ (turn-by-turn). These are separate apps on WP. HERE Drive+ is a very specific nav app and nothing else. HERE Maps is the actual mapping app and if you want to get directions, it redirects you to the Drive+ app. HERE is the name of the company (Nokia subsidiary) making the apps. Windows 8.1 only has the standalone HERE Maps app (no nav).

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
One app is HERE Maps (no nav), another is HERE Drive+ (turn-by-turn). These are separate apps on WP. HERE Drive+ is a very specific nav app and nothing else. HERE Maps is the actual mapping app and if you want to get directions, it redirects you to the Drive+ app. HERE is the name of the company (Nokia subsidiary) making the apps. Windows 8.1 only has the standalone HERE Maps app (no nav).
huh, ok, I learned somEthing today

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone is still viewing this thread, I noticed that there is a new Windows app that has GPS with turn by turn navigation. It is called Navmii. I installed it and it seems a little unpolished, but it looks promising. One thing I noticed was that some of the UI elements only properly loaded on the 2nd or 3rd time opening the app--pretty odd, but it makes me wonder if it just wasn't completely installed. Haven't driven using the navigation yet, but they have a nice 'demo route' that runs through the directions quickly.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
In case anyone is still viewing this thread, I noticed that there is a new Windows app that has GPS with turn by turn navigation. It is called Navmii. I installed it and it seems a little unpolished, but it looks promising. One thing I noticed was that some of the UI elements only properly loaded on the 2nd or 3rd time opening the app--pretty odd, but it makes me wonder if it just wasn't completely installed. Haven't driven using the navigation yet, but they have a nice 'demo route' that runs through the directions quickly.
I don't really understand why you would even consider this as Here Drive was designed specifically for our phones and works fine.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

You know Microsoft recently also took over the development of HERE maps and services. It was written in an article on Windows Central more than a week ago.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Is there an navigation app which doesn't depend upon downloaded Here maps?I tried Waze but it wasn't good enough in my country.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
what is wrong whit here maps? Iuse it and works great and even better than goole maps. It hows me te adress on the right place and shows me Streets that are missing ongoogle maps.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
what is wrong whit here maps? Iuse it and works great and even better than goole maps. It hows me te adress on the right place and shows me Streets that are missing ongoogle maps.

I love Here Maps and Here Drive on my *phone*. This thread, however, is talking specifically about GPS apps for Windows 8.1 (ie the OS for desktops, laptops, and, in this specific discussion, tablets with GPS built into them, such as the HP Stream 8. Here Maps is also great in Windows 8.1, but it does NOT offer verbal turn by turn navigation. Perhaps Microsoft will implement this when it takes over the development, they will decide to include such a feature, but it is not there now. (By the way, this thread predates the announcement about MS taking over Here development and I only recently resurfaced it to mention NavMii.)

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Nobody is reading the OP :/

You can't get here drive for tablet. I'm not sure about turn by turn navigation for Windows tablet sorry. I looked at the app you found. It's decent, but not as good as here drive.

However, I don't see the point of using turn by turn navigation on a Windows 8 device such as a tablet/laptop. Seems pretty weird looking at a 7+ inch screen for directions, especially since they'll have pretty low battery life.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok I understand that.
Is Navmii NOT using here maps his maps for the navigation?

I tried a 10'' android tablet with navigation in my car but I had to mount it so it wouldn't taking away the view on the road and I didn't like it. I keep it with my Lumina 1020 and ativ s for navigation.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok I understand that.
Is Navmii NOT using here maps his maps for the navigation?.
No, Navmii uses OpenStreetMaps as the underlying geographic data. Geo-data-wise, I'm sure Here has much better maps, but in some places OSM is pretty comparable.

As for the wisdom of strapping a tablet to your windshield..... yeah, it is kind of silly. :) I actually haven't tried navmii in a real driving situation yet, but I imagine I might just set the tablet on the passenger seat and just listen to the turn cues instead of trying to look at it.

To be clear, I'm not at all suggesting that Navmii is a good GPS app..... its just the only one I've found so far that offers this feature. Hopefully Here will be developed further as a universal app for Windows 10, but that is still a long ways away..

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
For a 7" or maybe even an 8" tablet it would be nice to have it. I only think that it will take a wile because not many Windows 8 tablets have GPS.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Hahaha I can only agree with you. ;)
I have the luck that I drive and navigate and as I don't drive I am still the navigator. As I do my delivery's I watch on the PC on the map were it I and than drive to it. I use the GPS on my phone for backup and as I go to Belgium. In Belgium they place the road signs after the exit with that you missed your exit. XD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills