What do you use your tablet for?

Lemen1

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
My tablet JXD S7800B is used mainly for gaming. Both android games and emulator games are available on it. The most inspiring thing is that i can have the perfect feeling when playing games on it with built dpads and joysticks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's an interesting topic.

Did you use a PC for gaming before you got your tablet? If so, has your tablet replaced your PC for gaming?

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have 4 tablets- the Surface Pro 3, iPad Mini Retina, Dell Venue 8 Pro, and 2013 Nexus 7. The iPad Mini is used primarily for gaming and web browsing. The V8P is more of a toy to me, as I don't really use it for important stuff, I just like to play around with it. The Nexus 7 gets used for tinkering, like flashing ROMs and things like that. I just bought the SP3 yesterday, and I'm going to try and make it my primary computer. This thing is really neat!

Edit: just checked out the one you have, it's pretty cool. How well do the game controls work? And how well does it handle graphically intensive games, like NOVA 3 or Modern Combat 5?

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have surface 2, Asus vivotab( which I am selling) primary uses: Sky go, work related bits, internet browse and food buying etc. Some games like hungry shark evolution!

Selling Asus vivotab cos I felt the two core to be a bit under powered, it is such a nice device too!

I used apple ipads in work, they were good idea and glad surface and other tablets came out. The apple items are for essentially kids, there are officially business apps however it feels like a device to play, browse more than productivity. I hate apples bad ui, someone gave me an iphone 6 to take photos had no idea how to! Unless isheep for life that is a bad thing!

With android I felt a more mix between games and productivity, the lag however puts me off I keep wanting to buy one, just irritates me. The note 4 with 805 ( I know phablet) is a lovely device that's quick! I want that snappyness in a droid! I do not think though I would root a droid though so many apps don't like this! The ui is good I do not have a problem with taking a photo on it or anything.

Essentially being a windows/ phone user, I think I come to expect speed, games, productivity. I love the fact 8.1 is synchronous between phone and pc/laptop/tablet and ui is was to pick up!

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I use my tablets mainly to watch YouTube, movies, missed programs from tv, build websites with it and the 10" with the full HD screen is great for that. Internet is on this moment one of the main things what I do with it.
O trying out Office 365 because it came with a year free. Placed office remote on my Lumia 1020 and outside that I don't see the use of the remote for word and excel, it is great for PowerPoint.
My Xbox 360 controller works great with the tablet just like my Logitech G930 headset. Great with Skype and no wires.
Charging and syncing my phone with the tablet. Is easy as there is no internet connection and my lumia's memory is full so I can set it to my tablet and make photo's again.
I play some games on it but mainly it is for other things, pinball FX, solitaire 8 and chess are the main games I play on it.
My tablets are an Asus Tranformer TF300T, a Voyo A1 mini and a Lenovo Yoga 2 10" Windows tablet. After I got the Voyo A1 mini, I never used my Asus again and now with the Yoga 2 I noticed that I use the Voyo mainly for looking up things and internet a bit because it is easier to handle because of the size. The Yoga 2 became my main tablet for almost every thing, I now can go to people with my tablet, ask what the problem is with the website they have and solve it from my tablet or show them a new design. I used my Asus for that but it was only useful for showing new designs.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
HP Stream7 with 8.1 and ElitePad 900 with Win10 TP (which is most excellent) have really become invaluable to me, both for leisure as well as work, particularly since I can sync everything across multiple devices and systems. They augment my HP EliteBook i7 quad core workhorse very nicely indeed.

At home:
- reading books on Kindle
- music and video streaming from YouTube and Pandora
- movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime
- control Kindle Fire TV stick and home theatre
- manage Insteon home automation
- shopping
- research recipes
- browse the internet
- Skype with family and friends

At work/business travel:
- keep up with email faster than with laptop
- video conferencing with HP MyRooms, Skype and GoToMeeting
- SalesForce and FinancialForce projects
- lead meetings and deliver presentations

While no tablet can yet compete with my EliteBook, I look forward to day when they can.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have a variety of tablets...
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
  • iPad 4 64GB
  • Nook HD 16GB (running CM11)
  • Kindle Fire HD 7"
  • Insignia Flex Tab (running Win 8.1)

I use them for a variety of purposes, many beyond simply content consumption.

• Podcast production
  • Seminar development (research, creating handout material, presentations, promotional material, etc.)
  • Project planning and management
  • Personal Plex viewer
  • Reading scans of vintage magazines, catalogs, and comics

I've been tinkering with the Insignia (a very nice tablet for $99) lately. Because it runs a 32-bit version of Windows, I installed a few older Win16 titles (mostly CDROM Edutainment titles). And since Windows 8.1 handles ISO's similar to how OSX does, it makes it easy to manage and run those titles.

I've installed a Sega Genesis/32X/CD emulator on it and with the USB version of the Genesis controller, this little guy makes a great portable Genesis. (I was even able to rip my Sega CD and 32XCD titles for play)

In terms of touch usage for my purposes, I find that the iPad is best, followed by Android, with Windows lagging far behind.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My work gives me a laptop, so my tablet (Samsung Slate 7, about equal to a Surface pro 1), is mainly for home(and personal business), Yea, so Windows based games on it but, no DX9+ support means modern PC games are better on the desktop (yes, I play PC and console games).

My tablet is used around the house and my laptop replacement. Web browsing, email, Facebook, twitter and some portable things I need for (working on the car or other project, youtube videos to help, etc) etc.... It's a 8.1 based tablet...

I do have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for it, as I need it sometimes...

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
My iPad air is for watching videos, reading PDFs, some light browsing, and Duolingo. It's never going to be my main device, due to very lousy (and half-assed) support for Khmer script.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am going to talk about my main tablet. My vivotab RT. I take it on road trips/expedtions in the wilderness. I use it for everything from writing, to photo editing photos we take along the way, to checking various things like weather, news, road conditions (if signal is available). There is nothing I can't do with my tablet that I do with my "real Computers". I also have a big bunch of devices too

2 VIVOTAB RTS
acer iconia 210 10" android tablet
Le Pan Mini
Archos 80g9
acer timeline 4810T
acer aspire 7720
HP touchsmart 520
2 nokia 1020s
2 Samsung notes
1 Samsung galaxy S2X

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Galaxy Tab S 8.4

I use it as a book reader, email, Mint, movies, YouTube and music. The screen is just to die for so I really enjoy using it.

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the tablet:
For my Surface RT 64G, I use it as a Windows XP Replacement, Browse the web (IE with many tabs), Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote (Desktop), Notepad, Calculator... Great device...
For my Surface Pro 2 512G, use that as a Hyper-V demo machine, runs several Guests (including Windows 10 TP)...
Also use a HP Touchpad (with webOS and Android Dual boot) for light browsing/youtube/music/photo display/some light games when watching TV at night, also used as an alarm clock...

Also have in the family several NextBook android tablets (for the Kids), and the wife uses an iPad Mini 64G (mostly for browsing and games)...

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Mostly browsing.

Usually while watching TV - looking up stuff I hear. And during commercials.

Sometimes reading before bed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster