How Windows 8 Tablets Could Seriously Challenge the iPad

rjbouw

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
@threed61
i'm on win8 on a Macbook air right now, and having the same issues you describe here. So i guess these are not w500 related :)

You're right about waiting for when more tablets come out, but that's still a lot of months away... ;)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
@threed61
i'm on win8 on a Macbook air right now, and having the same issues you describe here. So i guess these are not w500 related :)

You're right about waiting for when more tablets come out, but that's still a lot of months away... ;)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Yep. It'll require some patience. I've beta tested quite a few things over the years, and have fun doing so. I have gotten used to using a tablet instead of a laptop, and want Win8 tabs sooner rather than later.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
@threed61
Thinking of buying a w500.
Can you tell me what doesn't work on the w500?
Thanks.

Hardware:
Everything works. Allready got regular windowsdriver updates, including BT last week. Only for screen rotation the W500 needs the Win7 software rotation lock software.

Software:
Almost everything works. Windows software updates including Metro app updates are there.
The Metro interface is fast and fluid as is the IE browser. Also in desktop mode you get Flash AND Silverlight. Only Xbox live does not work yet with my Dutch Live ID. Looking at your nickname you are probably dutch too. With an US live ID it works.

Of course we need way more apps before it completely replaces my Tab 10.1, but allready in general use, I like it way better. Like just some fast browsing the internet a lot of people use a tablet for. Pirates love daisies, Cut the rope, Pinball and USA Today show me low end x86 APU is enough for fluid gameplay. And October is still 6/7 months away.

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had a ipad 1 & 2 and currently have a Kindle fire. All of them are cool devices in their own way but for someone who just wants to read and watch a tv show while in the bathroom or bedroom the fire works for me. I was going to get a ipad3 but just can't justify the $500+ price tag. Th screen looks good but it just doesn't have the spark that grabbed my attention. So i've decided to wait on MC and their tablets. For MC to do well, apps and marketing is needed. MC is not going to be able to compete with number of apps that Apple has but if they can come out with a good selection that is designed for Metro and good and not just ports this will be an attention grabber for them. And marketing is needed badly. To many of my friends are Isheep and fandroids because of the direction of salemen. MC needs to really push Metro for the tablet to succeed. I can't wait.

I just bought my wife the iPad 3 for our anniversary and, honestly, coming from my HD7 it feels sluggish, laggy and uninspired. I will NEVER buy any iDevice for my own usage.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hardware:
Everything works. Allready got regular windowsdriver updates, including BT last week. Only for screen rotation the W500 needs the Win7 software rotation lock software.

Software:
Almost everything works. Windows software updates including Metro app updates are there.
The Metro interface is fast and fluid as is the IE browser. Also in desktop mode you get Flash AND Silverlight. Only Xbox live does not work yet with my Dutch Live ID. Looking at your nickname you are probably dutch too. With an US live ID it works.

Of course we need way more apps before it completely replaces my Tab 10.1, but allready in general use, I like it way better. Like just some fast browsing the internet a lot of people use a tablet for. Pirates love daisies, Cut the rope, Pinball and USA Today show me low end x86 APU is enough for fluid gameplay. And October is still 6/7 months away.

Can you split-screen on the W500? as far as I know it does not support the resolutions required for it. The Dell Inspiron Duo hybrid has the resolutions for it so I'm thinking of getting one of those.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've always wanted a tablet, was originally looking at the failure of the Xoom and then the XYBOARD, and other tablets powered by Android. I will NEVER buy another iDevice again in my life. I'm really hoping these new Win8 tablets are a hit, and take the market by storm.

Myclevername

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
@threed61
Thinking of buying a w500.
Can you tell me what doesn't work on the w500?
Thanks.
I'm using it on an Iconia W500 and it's pretty awesome. W8 is definitely maximized for a touch experience. I'm learning more and more every time I use it. I think the OS is perfect when you have a docking keyboard station and a removable screen/tablet. Someone earlier was saying they needed folders and favorites to find things. I thought that too at first until I realized that from the Start / Home Screen, you just start typing what you want and the options start boiling up on your screen (kinda like autocomplete) until what you are looking for is there. Tap it and go. I no longer have to search for WPCENTRAL...I just start typing and it boils up to the top with each letter I type. Very cool.

I also noticed in Explorer, you just swipe your finger left or right to go to your previous or ahead browser screen history and guess what Microsoft is doing? They are putting ads on these "between" screens. Brilliantly annoying but not so much as to piss me off. Yet. I think it's smart actually.

In closing, W8 is perfect on an Iconia. I think the OS sometimes demands a keyboard. If you can find one or get one cheap. But from what I'm reading, there are going to be a ton of new tablets coming by October, maybe sooner, so I'd wait if I were you. Then I'll sell you mine. hahaha

Myclevername

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I've found very little I can't do with my tablet. I turn on the desktop only 2-3 times a week.
After using the Win 8 preview, lets hope MS is working on favorites and folders. It will suck to go through dozens or hundreds of tiles to get to something.
From the start screen just type the name of what you are looking for and it should boil up onto your screen for you (similar to autocomplete). Took me a while to learn this. You can even just type www.whateverwebsiteyouwant.com from the start screen, without even being in Explorer, and the website will open. Took me a while to find that little ditty too.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
From the start screen just type the name of what you are looking for and it should boil up onto your screen for you (similar to autocomplete). Took me a while to learn this. You can even just type www.whateverwebsiteyouwant.com from the start screen, without even being in Explorer, and the website will open. Took me a while to find that little ditty too.

It took a few days but the updates that wouldn't install finally did. Everything works a lot better now. Discovered the typing trick through trial and error. Win8 blog is very helpful too. I like being a guinea pig, so I'm having fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism