XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

New or refurbed?

Is a refurbed Surface right for you?

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree2Likes
  1. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Last edited by palandri; 03-10-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    Big Supes likes this.
  2. paradiseware.com's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Uhm, is there supposed to be a link in your post?
    palandri likes this.
  3. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by paradiseware.com View Post
    Uhm, is there supposed to be a link in your post?
    LOL, There is now. I put the title in the link. :D
  4. petersun21's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    238 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I have an ipad1. Played ipad2 a couple of times. Compared to windows 8 cp, ios is boring. The race will come down to good apps.

    Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
  5. ALborntoride's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I've had a ipad 1 & 2 and currently have a Kindle fire. All of them are cool devices in their own way but for someone who just wants to read and watch a tv show while in the bathroom or bedroom the fire works for me. I was going to get a ipad3 but just can't justify the $500+ price tag. Th screen looks good but it just doesn't have the spark that grabbed my attention. So i've decided to wait on MC and their tablets. For MC to do well, apps and marketing is needed. MC is not going to be able to compete with number of apps that Apple has but if they can come out with a good selection that is designed for Metro and good and not just ports this will be an attention grabber for them. And marketing is needed badly. To many of my friends are Isheep and fandroids because of the direction of salemen. MC needs to really push Metro for the tablet to succeed. I can't wait.
  6. doublebullout's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Microsoft has an opportunity to grab the "anything but Apple" herd market because the state of Android tablets not named "Kindle Fire" is still such a complete mess. (The Playbook and Touchpad aren't even in this discussion.) But Microsoft has to do 2 things IMO:

    (1) Make a compelling product. This should be obvious, but I am concerned that a lot of tech fans seem to think that the "anything but Apple" market is huge. It isn't. If Windows 8 on a tablet doesn't provide a user experience on par with what the iPad (or even the Kindle Fire) offers, Microsoft will not be successful. iOS may be boring to some, but that's not enough on its own to grab significant market share. Windows 8 has to be as great on a tablet as iOS is on the iPad, period. Based on Microsoft's track record at such things, this is by no means a fait accompli.

    (2) The introduction needs to be a big event, like Apple's product keynotes are. Critics here constantly whine about "iSheep" and "Apple marketing." But big splashy keynotes and media frenzy have a lot to do with this. Dog and pony shows work. Microsoft better start copying what Apple does well if it wants consumers to know why they should buy their products.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Another thing to keep in mind is the Windows budget.

    If Metro tablets were separate from Windows, it would have had a limited budget to work with when it comes to marketing, development, and support. Even if that budget was pretty generous, it would be nowhere near the amount of money that is dedicated to promoting and supporting Windows.
  8. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    The last section sums up pretty much what I think:

    Again, almost. There's one thing that could hold it back: consumers rejecting Metro. You see, Windows 8 lets any user turn off Metro and just use the traditional desktop. If enough of them do, many developers may simply choose not to create Metro apps. After all, if most of your customers are just switching to the old Windows environment anyway, why bother?
    That would let the air out of the expanding Windows 8 tablet balloon pretty quickly, and that's even before we consider the wild cards of potential device fragmentation, how Windows will work on ARM devices and whether or not consumers will even accept a tablet as their main computing device.
    Microsoft needs to get Metro 100% right if Windows 8 tablets are going to have any hope. If users like Metro, then the developers will follow, and a real ecosystem will emerge. If not, the iPad will probably be the only tablet worth talking about for a long, long time.
    Microsoft have to get this absolutely spot on.
  9. doublebullout's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    The question of whether consumers will accept a tablet as their main computing device is not a "wild card." The success of the iPad has shown that many consumers are perfectly willing to do exactly that. The sooner Microsoft realizes that, the better.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. bpgui's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    The question of whether consumers will accept a tablet as their main computing device is not a "wild card." The success of the iPad has shown that many consumers are perfectly willing to do exactly that. The sooner Microsoft realizes that, the better.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is exactly what I am hoping for... tablet that can double as my main computing device. I want one that can run all the programs on my normal computer, but the portability of a tablet. A detachable keyboard (lime the Transformer) would be perfect.
  11. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    I've found very little I can't do with my tablet. I turn on the desktop only 2-3 times a week.
    After using the Win 8 preview, lets hope MS is working on favorites and folders. It will suck to go through dozens or hundreds of tiles to get to something.
  12. Hoekie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Did anyone commenting here use W8 on a tablet?
    I do and Metro on a W8 tablet kicks both iOS and Android's ***.
    As there will be ARM and x86 versions, only the W8 ARM tablets have to compete with the ipad and droids. W8 x86 tablets will have no competition. As soon as people realise what a W8 x86 tablet can do (powered low powered AMD Fusion/Intel IvyBridge) a whole new market will open.
    It all depends on how short sighted/isheep people will be. A part can be solved by marketing and showing people that current tablets are just big phones.
  13. rags1277's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    It is not just about Metro alone. A complete useful, usable hardware design along with Metro would beat iPad. Other existing tablets lacks both hardware and software design currently and just want to stand in front of the Q.

    Fingers crossed...
  14. mparker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    352 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoekie View Post
    Did anyone commenting here use W8 on a tablet?
    I do and Metro on a W8 tablet kicks both iOS and Android's ***.
    I'm running it on a Lenovo X220t convertible right now, so I can use both as a desktop and tablet. Its more fun to use than my ipad, but that won't matter if it doesn't get the apps in a hurry, and I'm not sure that it will. The availability of winrt on the desktop versions doesn't help as much as this article thinks it will, until the number of ARM tablets gets way up there. It isn't easy to port a desktop app to winrt, you're looking at a complete rewrite, but why rewrite for winrt and get only a few new w8/ARM users (desktop users already have your desktop app after all) when you can rewrite for iOS and get millions of iPad users. If winrt were easier to port to then it might be worth a gamble. But its not.

    They also need some compelling hardware, but I suspect Nokia will be the brand on it.
  15. Mahesha999's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Few things will matter. One most important and one which is not very specific to the Tech industry but also somewhat equally applies to other industries is Time to Enter the market - Win 8 should not be too late to get in the Market. This is significant point, provided the fact that iPad 3 already sold 3 million units.

    Also, the prize will matter. Cheaper than iPad will surely make people think about it.

    More of Metro will be tasty. Though MS provides both tastes of Aero and Metro, the Metro is surely for touch and the success also depends upon to what extent MS succeeds to bring the things in Metro.

    Finally, should have enough of apps to start with. This should not be the issue provided the BlueStacks app - Run Android on Windows with BlueStacks :: Android on PC :: Android Player for Windows | BlueStacks[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lpuoD048rmw[/YT]



    In long run MS will be the king - my opinion, given the fact that it has got big army of enthusiastic developers and the great dev tools.
  16. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoekie View Post
    Did anyone commenting here use W8 on a tablet?
    I do and Metro on a W8 tablet kicks both iOS and Android's ***.
    As there will be ARM and x86 versions, only the W8 ARM tablets have to compete with the ipad and droids. W8 x86 tablets will have no competition. As soon as people realise what a W8 x86 tablet can do (powered low powered AMD Fusion/Intel IvyBridge) a whole new market will open.
    It all depends on how short sighted/isheep people will be. A part can be solved by marketing and showing people that current tablets are just big phones.
    I'm using it on an Iconia w500. Not everything is even working yet with W8, so it doesn't yet beat my Android tab, much less the iPad. I think its a nice start, however.
  17. rjbouw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    I'm using it on an Iconia w500. Not everything is even working yet with W8, so it doesn't yet beat my Android tab, much less the iPad. I think its a nice start, however.
    @threed61
    Thinking of buying a w500.
    Can you tell me what doesn't work on the w500?
    Thanks.
  18. jabtano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    613 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahesha999 View Post
    Few things will matter. One most important and one which is not very specific to the Tech industry but also somewhat equally applies to other industries is Time to Enter the market - Win 8 should not be too late to get in the Market. This is significant point, provided the fact that iPad 3 already sold 3 million units.

    Also, the prize will matter. Cheaper than iPad will surely make people think about it.

    More of Metro will be tasty. Though MS provides both tastes of Aero and Metro, the Metro is surely for touch and the success also depends upon to what extent MS succeeds to bring the things in Metro.

    Finally, should have enough of apps to start with. This should not be the issue provided the BlueStacks app - Run Android on Windows with BlueStacks :: Android on PC :: Android Player for Windows | BlueStacksClick to view quoted video



    In long run MS will be the king - my opinion, given the fact that it has got big army of enthusiastic developers and the great dev tools.
    Blue stacks is pretty decent and so is win8 on a tablet...
  19. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbouw View Post
    @threed61
    Thinking of buying a w500.
    Can you tell me what doesn't work on the w500?
    Thanks.
    Tab itself works fine. Windows 8 is a work in progress. Haven't been able to use music, install market updates it claims are there, couple of apps don't always work and I get closed out of apps for no apparent reason.
    In spite of how it sounds, I like W8 on the w500. But it's still developing.
  20. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbouw View Post
    @threed61
    Thinking of buying a w500.
    Can you tell me what doesn't work on the w500?
    Thanks.
    The w500 is a fine tablet to have some fun growing with Windows 8.
    If you wait for the official release this fall, there should be a better choice of cheaper, thinner, lighter tabs with better touch and optimized for Win 8.
  21. rjbouw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    @threed61
    i'm on win8 on a Macbook air right now, and having the same issues you describe here. So i guess these are not w500 related :)

    You're right about waiting for when more tablets come out, but that's still a lot of months away... ;)

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  22. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbouw View Post
    @threed61
    i'm on win8 on a Macbook air right now, and having the same issues you describe here. So i guess these are not w500 related :)

    You're right about waiting for when more tablets come out, but that's still a lot of months away... ;)

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Yep. It'll require some patience. I've beta tested quite a few things over the years, and have fun doing so. I have gotten used to using a tablet instead of a laptop, and want Win8 tabs sooner rather than later.
  23. Hoekie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbouw View Post
    @threed61
    Thinking of buying a w500.
    Can you tell me what doesn't work on the w500?
    Thanks.
    Hardware:
    Everything works. Allready got regular windowsdriver updates, including BT last week. Only for screen rotation the W500 needs the Win7 software rotation lock software.

    Software:
    Almost everything works. Windows software updates including Metro app updates are there.
    The Metro interface is fast and fluid as is the IE browser. Also in desktop mode you get Flash AND Silverlight. Only Xbox live does not work yet with my Dutch Live ID. Looking at your nickname you are probably dutch too. With an US live ID it works.

    Of course we need way more apps before it completely replaces my Tab 10.1, but allready in general use, I like it way better. Like just some fast browsing the internet a lot of people use a tablet for. Pirates love daisies, Cut the rope, Pinball and USA Today show me low end x86 APU is enough for fluid gameplay. And October is still 6/7 months away.
    Last edited by Hoekie; 03-25-2012 at 05:17 PM.
  24. freestaterocker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,679 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSouth View Post
    I've had a ipad 1 & 2 and currently have a Kindle fire. All of them are cool devices in their own way but for someone who just wants to read and watch a tv show while in the bathroom or bedroom the fire works for me. I was going to get a ipad3 but just can't justify the $500+ price tag. Th screen looks good but it just doesn't have the spark that grabbed my attention. So i've decided to wait on MC and their tablets. For MC to do well, apps and marketing is needed. MC is not going to be able to compete with number of apps that Apple has but if they can come out with a good selection that is designed for Metro and good and not just ports this will be an attention grabber for them. And marketing is needed badly. To many of my friends are Isheep and fandroids because of the direction of salemen. MC needs to really push Metro for the tablet to succeed. I can't wait.
    I just bought my wife the iPad 3 for our anniversary and, honestly, coming from my HD7 it feels sluggish, laggy and uninspired. I will NEVER buy any iDevice for my own usage.
  25. paulm187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    279 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoekie View Post
    Hardware:
    Everything works. Allready got regular windowsdriver updates, including BT last week. Only for screen rotation the W500 needs the Win7 software rotation lock software.

    Software:
    Almost everything works. Windows software updates including Metro app updates are there.
    The Metro interface is fast and fluid as is the IE browser. Also in desktop mode you get Flash AND Silverlight. Only Xbox live does not work yet with my Dutch Live ID. Looking at your nickname you are probably dutch too. With an US live ID it works.

    Of course we need way more apps before it completely replaces my Tab 10.1, but allready in general use, I like it way better. Like just some fast browsing the internet a lot of people use a tablet for. Pirates love daisies, Cut the rope, Pinball and USA Today show me low end x86 APU is enough for fluid gameplay. And October is still 6/7 months away.
    Can you split-screen on the W500? as far as I know it does not support the resolutions required for it. The Dell Inspiron Duo hybrid has the resolutions for it so I'm thinking of getting one of those.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions