RT vs. 8

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ. WinRT is a programming model, not a version of the OS. x86/x64 tablets will run the same RT apps that ARM tablets run. So I am using RT on my i5 tablet but I can launch the desktop and run Windows apps as well. I understand that ARM devices will require a customized SoC build of Win8 and will only run RT apps and that these builds would not have been released yet since the hardware hasn't been released to the general public and would thus be useless. So I would suggest that I am running WinRT on my i5 tablet. Is the OS code base exactly the same? No, for obvious reasons. Is the experience the same? Yes. Your point?

My point is your are confusing RT and Metro. There is no such thing as an RT app. There are Metro apps (which will run in Windows 8 or Windows RT) and Desktop apps (which only run in Windows 8). So my point is no, you are absolutely in no way running Windows RT. You are confusing Windows RT and the Metro Apps and Start Screen (which you do have). The fact is that ARM devices don't have a special build of Windows 8, they have Windows RT, which is then further custom tailored for their particular hardware. Windows RT is a version of the OS, Metro is the program model. The experience is not the same. If the experience were the same they wouldn't bother making the distinction between Win8 and Windows RT. Yes, you can comment on what the METRO experience is like on a tablet, but you have no idea what it will be like to use Windows RT on an ARM based tablet vs. using Windows 8 on an x86/x64 based tablet (which is what you have). Since that is the whole point of this discussion, I felt the need to point it out so if some one less educated in the differences comes in they won't be misled by your statements into thinking that Windows RT and Metro are the same and that any tablet is running Windows RT instead of Windows 8, which is grossly inaccurate.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
;) Maybe both? Definitely, a 17" laptop with 8 for home use and a tablet for travel.

That's what I'm planning. Upgrading my Vaio F23 (a 16.4" desktop replacement laptop) to Windows 8; getting a Windows RT convertible tablet to supplement it.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm planning. Upgrading my Vaio F23 (a 16.4" desktop replacement laptop) to Windows 8; getting a Windows RT convertible tablet to supplement it.

yep, thinking pretty much the same here too. my 17.3" Dell will be just fine around the house but, an RT tablet would be handy for something more portable. :cool:

straitda

May 27, 2011
Visit site
My point is your are confusing RT and Metro. There is no such thing as an RT app. There are Metro apps (which will run in Windows 8 or Windows RT) and Desktop apps (which only run in Windows 8). So my point is no, you are absolutely in no way running Windows RT. You are confusing Windows RT and the Metro Apps and Start Screen (which you do have). The fact is that ARM devices don't have a special build of Windows 8, they have Windows RT, which is then further custom tailored for their particular hardware. Windows RT is a version of the OS, Metro is the program model. The experience is not the same. If the experience were the same they wouldn't bother making the distinction between Win8 and Windows RT. Yes, you can comment on what the METRO experience is like on a tablet, but you have no idea what it will be like to use Windows RT on an ARM based tablet vs. using Windows 8 on an x86/x64 based tablet (which is what you have). Since that is the whole point of this discussion, I felt the need to point it out so if some one less educated in the differences comes in they won't be misled by your statements into thinking that Windows RT and Metro are the same and that any tablet is running Windows RT instead of Windows 8, which is grossly inaccurate.

I am by no means a kernel level Windows 8 expert, however, I think terms are being confused. WinRT is an API set for Windows 8 application development, which will replace Win32 if/when Microsoft jetisons the desktop. WinRT, just like Win32, sit just above the Windows 8 kernel.

Windows 8 devices running on an x86/x64 architecture (tablets, laptops, desktops, etc.) can run apps built with the WinRT or Win32 APIs because both APIs can run on x86/x64 architected processors. Windows 8 devices running on an ARM or other SoC architecture will not be able to run Win32 applications because Microsoft decided not to port Win32 to support that architecture.

The kernel will obviously be different for ARM and x86/x64 devices. The WinRT API, which talks to the kernel among other components, will be the same.

I agree my experience in terms of performance on my tablet will be different than those with ARM tablets or even x64 tablets with different processor and memory configurations. I do believe, however, that my experience with the functionality of WinRT (Metro) apps will be identical.

Windows 8 is Windows 8, whether on an ARM or x86/x64 device. I have the Win32 and WinRT APIs at my disposal. ARM folks just have the WinRT API.

WinRT is Replacing Win32 - Paul Thurrott
http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/winrt-replacing-win32-140605

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am by no means a kernel level Windows 8 expert, however, I think terms are being confused. WinRT is an API set for Windows 8 application development, which will replace Win32 if/when Microsoft jetisons the desktop. WinRT, just like Win32, sit just above the Windows 8 kernel.

Windows 8 devices running on an x86/x64 architecture (tablets, laptops, desktops, etc.) can run apps built with the WinRT or Win32 APIs because both APIs can run on x86/x64 architected processors. Windows 8 devices running on an ARM or other SoC architecture will not be able to run Win32 applications because Microsoft decided not to port Win32 to support that architecture.

The kernel will obviously be different for ARM and x86/x64 devices. The WinRT API, which talks to the kernel among other components, will be the same.

I agree my experience in terms of performance on my tablet will be different than those with ARM tablets or even x64 tablets with different processor and memory configurations. I do believe, however, that my experience with the functionality of WinRT (Metro) apps will be identical.

Windows 8 is Windows 8, whether on an ARM or x86/x64 device. I have the Win32 and WinRT APIs at my disposal. ARM folks just have the WinRT API.

WinRT is Replacing Win32 - Paul Thurrott
http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/winrt-replacing-win32-140605

You are correct. I was using WinRT as shorthand for Windows RT, which is the ARM variant of the OS, which differs at kernel level from the x86 variant. Windows RT is so named because it will only run WinRT (Metro) apps and not desktop Win32 based apps.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
As far as a tablet goes, I will be going with the RT version. internet, games, entertainment, and reading is mostly what I will be using the tablet for. I will also get a pretty nice all-in-one desktop W8 for the office (at home). I do have a business laptop that I will not upgrade to W8 only because the IT people at work will have a fit. I've talked to the IT folks and it appears I know more about W8 than they do.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
x86 for me. I can't see Metro app selection being good at launch...

but sluggish compared to Tegra 3.

Huh?

Tegra 3 is great. It competes fantastically within it's own power bracket and is massively competitive. It isn't, however, anywhere near as powerful as the majority of Atom chips. The recent benchmarks of that single-core Medfield chip hit that one home; they took a single Atom core, stripped it down and crippled it until it would fit within a Smartphone TDP. Despite this, it's still more powerful than most of the ARM SoCs on the market (barring the deficient GPU).

Tegra 3 is massively more power efficient than current Atom chips, but those Atom chips are in a whole different world of computing power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss