Windows 8 tablets can't get here soon enough

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My MacBook bit the dust this week, so my main computer is my wife's iPad for now. I know I want a tablet as my next computer (likely a surface rt), and I know I don't want to buy one of the current gen, atom powered tabs when we are very likely less than 3 months from Windows 8.

I CAN'T WAIT. iOS is a great secondary OS, but it stinks as your main device.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
My MacBook bit the dust this week, so my main computer is my wife's iPad for now. I know I want a tablet as my next computer (likely a surface rt), and I know I don't want to buy one of the current gen, atom powered tabs when we are very likely less than 3 months from Windows 8.

I CAN'T WAIT. iOS is a great secondary OS, but it stinks as your main device.

Yep definitely excited to get something like the Surface Pro that i can use casually for play, and as a solid mobile laptop for more serious work. Not to mention being able to dock it for a PC experience (Monitor, KB, Mouse) if necessary. And having full Windows profile capability so multiple users in the house can use it with their own desktop experience and apps is a huge plus.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
The battery in my Finepoint digitizer pen died on me in calculus last night and I couldn't help but think to myself "If I had that Surface Pro already I wouldn't have to worry about this crap."

I like my old tablet convertible(yes, there are people out there that like(d) them) but am very excited to get my hands on a new surface.

AND I realized that if I get one I don't need to upgrade my phone because any games or apps for WP8 that I can't play on the Arrive I can just play on the Surface! Can't wait for Survivalcraft on a 10" HD screen. That means I can also keep the slider keyboard that I so far don't hear anything about being offered in WP8.

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of all the hurry up and wait stuff. I'm getting antsy. WP8, surface, need to dual boot my Mac Book with Win, but wish i had 8 to install rather than 7. Too bad I can't just hibernate for a couple of months and wake up with everything I have to wait for. On top of all the MS stuff, my wife just figured out why she's been feeling sick all the time :/ (is that the correct way to do a poker face?)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of all the hurry up and wait stuff. I'm getting antsy. WP8, surface, need to dual boot my Mac Book with Win, but wish i had 8 to install rather than 7. Too bad I can't just hibernate for a couple of months and wake up with everything I have to wait for. On top of all the MS stuff, my wife just figured out why she's been feeling sick all the time :/ (is that the correct way to do a poker face?)

Baby on board? My wife and I just had our first. You can download theist or release preview and dual boot on a mac. That's what I was doing before it went kaput.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Baby on board? My wife and I just had our first. You can download theist or release preview and dual boot on a mac. That's what I was doing before it went kaput.

Yeah... 6 weeks in, so a lot can still go wrong.

Someone told me the preview wasn't available for download anymore. I'll have to look into it tonight. See if I can find the link and hope it still works.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 Release Preview ISO formats

That's a link to the iso. Just burn it to a DVD and install via boot camp following instructions for Windows 7. Multi touch is hit or miss. Some people got the drivers for Windows 7 to work some can't. I didn't have a snow leopard disc, so I couldn't try, but an external mouse works just fine.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The battery in my Finepoint digitizer pen died on me in calculus last night and I couldn't help but think to myself "If I had that Surface Pro already I wouldn't have to worry about this crap."

I like my old tablet convertible(yes, there are people out there that like(d) them) but am very excited to get my hands on a new surface.

AND I realized that if I get one I don't need to upgrade my phone because any games or apps for WP8 that I can't play on the Arrive I can just play on the Surface! Can't wait for Survivalcraft on a 10" HD screen. That means I can also keep the slider keyboard that I so far don't hear anything about being offered in WP8.
Gee, what's wrong with convertibles? Some of us old farts love them, I use mine as a primary device for work. I'm more antsy than anybody else to have the Surface Pro but I wasn't crazy about the way W8 handled Journal. Maybe it was just the CP version and retail will have the bugs out by then.

jessicajes

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung to launch Windows 8 RT tablet in October

Samsung, Korean electronics brand has confirmed that it will launch the Windows 8 operating system based tablet in the month of October this year. Tablet based on the upcoming Windows 8 RT platform will be launched. It will be optimized for better touch screen performance along with the inclusion of the 'Metro' style user interface that is similar to the one that is being used on Windows Phone presently.
for more info:Samsung to launch Windows 8 RT tablet in October :cool:

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Gee, what's wrong with convertibles? Some of us old farts love them, I use mine as a primary device for work. I'm more antsy than anybody else to have the Surface Pro but I wasn't crazy about the way W8 handled Journal. Maybe it was just the CP version and retail will have the bugs out by then.

Other than being heavy, nothing. My Gateway E285 convertible is my daily driver, love the thing. I'm excited to see more companies bringing them out now too. My only gripe is the lack of touch capability. I love writing notes with the pen but to be a usable tablet I still need a pen for class.

With a Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz, 4GB ram, 60GB SSD, and discrete video, it meets most of my demands except for gaming(x1400, need not say more). All I play are marketplace games nowadays so the Surface playing those takes care of that too.

Adyhooper

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 tablet is currently under development that will run on ARM, Intel and AMD chips. According to some rumours this tablet will launch in November, 2012 including lots of advance felicities and functions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea